66 Elevators show surfaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 Elevators show surfaces

Just got the heads up on this radio KAZZ show from '66.One for the garage/psych fans. Quite amazing this stuff is still turning up. Never thought I'd hear anything like this. Love the straight laced radio presenter, wonder if he had any idea what headspace Roky &co were exploring?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNF1Nr-_UmE
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Has this not been bootlegged before?

I used to follow the Texas Psych Yahoo groups and I'm convinced it was shared a good few year back?

of course it's great either way!

Comment

Originally posted by enrico chiesa View Post
      Has this not been bootlegged before?

I used to follow the Texas Psych Yahoo groups and I'm convinced it was shared a good few year back?

of course it's great either way!
      That's who sent me the link, so I presumed it was a recent discovery. The Roky CD club over there is planning to put it out apparently
      I don't have much to do with the "dictatorship" over there! If you followed it in the past, you probably know what I mean. I prefer to observe from the sidelines.

Comment

Whats the story here (in comments section)

"You screwed the pooch Paul and you lied to the fans. The only "master tapes" you found were some Bull of the Woods stuff. Psychedelic Sounds, Easter Everywhere (both stereo and mono), the 45 mixes, and more are taken from stuff that we put out on the Roky CD Club. Only you took our clean signal from the original vinyl and compressed it too a flat frequency response (brick wall). It sounds terrible. The mono Easter Everywhere we didn't get our usual great rip of. The signal is just a bit muddy. And there it is on the box set! Our own, muddy, Easter Everywhere mix."
        Chimptown, now twinned with Cockermouth, Penistone and Big Beaver, Pennsylvania..

Comment

That's the sort of crap I was alluding to. The Texas psych brigade have got a major beef with Paul Drummond. It all gets a bit vitriolic, best stay away IMO. They refer to us(who live on this island) as Eeeenglish! Chip/shoulder? Paul Drummond wrote the Eye Mind book, and was instrumental in getting the box sets out I do believe. So they resent him, and reckon he screwed it up anyway
          Funnily enough, they're pretty big on Syd Barrett/ early Floyd too. They'll be laying a claim to him too no doubt.
          I'm standing by for the torrent of hate mail now!

Comment

Weirdly, I met Paul for the first time t'other week.
            To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Excellent book. Has he done other stuff? I only know of him through the Elevators connection.

Comment

That Kiloh bloke was a friend on Facebook, but I couldn't be doing with the 'axe to grind' attitude ...it was like being in the middle of WW1 with paisley !. I now tend to avoid Elevators & Syd obsessives - the bullshit just flows ....

Agree about the book - although there are a few basic errors (ie, the Gibson 'Burney Castle' guitar Stacey talks about is obviously a Gibson Barney Kessel ...oh those impenetrable Texas accents !).
                "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Comment

I misread which word the "s" was at the end of and so thought that 66 shows by the Elevators had surfaced.
                  Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
                    I misread which word the "s" was at the end of and so thought that 66 shows by the Elevators had surfaced.
                    Bring them on I say!

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                      That's the sort of crap I was alluding to. The Texas psych brigade have got a major beef with Paul Drummond. It all gets a bit vitriolic, best stay away IMO. They refer to us(who live on this island) as Eeeenglish! Chip/shoulder? Paul Drummond wrote the Eye Mind book, and was instrumental in getting the box sets out I do believe. So they resent him, and reckon he screwed it up anyway
                      Funnily enough, they're pretty big on Syd Barrett/ early Floyd too. They'll be laying a claim to him too no doubt.
                      I'm standing by for the torrent of hate mail now!
                      Yep - I was a member of both then tired of all that shit!!!

:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy Ya Ya View Post
                        'Burney Castle'

Comment

Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                          Weirdly, I met Paul for the first time t'other week.
                          Paul is a fantastic bloke - the first person to play me an Elevators record... way... way back in the 80s in Wimbledon... more than grateful for the introduction... he even had a kitchen table painted in the stylee of the "Psychedelic Sounds..." - if ever there was a chap who was going to writer the book it was him... hats off I say...

fairly sure you'd have had a lot in common... based on your posts
                          "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

Originally posted by chimptown View Post
                            Whats the story here (in comments section)

"You screwed the pooch Paul and you lied to the fans. The only "master tapes" you found were some Bull of the Woods stuff. Psychedelic Sounds, Easter Everywhere (both stereo and mono), the 45 mixes, and more are taken from stuff that we put out on the Roky CD Club. Only you took our clean signal from the original vinyl and compressed it too a flat frequency response (brick wall). It sounds terrible. The mono Easter Everywhere we didn't get our usual great rip of. The signal is just a bit muddy. And there it is on the box set! Our own, muddy, Easter Everywhere mix."
                            Is there much basis to this argument about sound quality?
                            Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

I don't think the ogs sounded all that in the first place! I think the Elevators were just too far out of their heads most of the time to give a hoot about it! They just went along with it, and what came out, came out. Different people have played about with them over the years, and there's always going to be someone who thinks it should have been done differently. In all honesty, I've never heard the Roky cd club mixes, so I can't comment on them. It would be interesting to hear from somebody outside of the fanatics who has heard them, to give a balanced view.
                              Have to say I'm quite happy with the box sets

Comment

Working...
                              X