what would you grade this record as?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would you grade this record as?

Out of interest, what would you grade this record as?

Mint: The record itself is in brand new condition with no surface marks or deterioration in sound quality. The cover and any extra items such as the lyric sheet, booklet or poster are in perfect condition.

Excellent: The record shows some signs of having been played, but there is very little lessening of sound quality. The cover and packaging might have slight wear and / or creasing.

Very Good: The record has obviously been played many times, but displays no major deterioration in sound quality, despite noticeable surface marks and the occasional light scratch. Normal wear and tear on the cover or extra items, without any major defects, is acceptable.

Good: The record has been played so much that the sound quality has noticeably deteriorated, perhaps with some distortion and mild scratches. The cover and contents suffer from folding, scuffing of edges, spine splits, discolouration etc...

Fair: The record is still just playable but has not been cared for properly and displays considerable surface noise: it may even jump. The cover and contents will be badly damaged or partly missing.

Poor: The record will not play properly due to scratches, bad surface noise etc.. The cover and contents will be badly damaged or partly missing.

Bad: The record is unplayable or might even be broken, and is only of use as a collection filler.
    NM -
    0.00%
    EX +
    2.00%
    EX
    0.00%
    EX -
    2.00%
    VG +
    6.00%
    VG
    36.00%
    VG -
    26.00%
    G +
    22.00%
    G
    6.00%
    WORSE
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Is it... Mint minus?

Only joking, saw your thread on Facebook. I'd probably want to see it, as well as hear it. I thought you'd have this, traded a copy a couple of years back... sorry!
    Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

I'm only interested in how records sound, not what they look like (which happens to be numerous light marks)
      new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

I think in typical UK collecting terms it would be graded VG. In my terms I graded it G+ in the poll.

I rarely buy a record vg online on the assumption that it will be too rough for me. I hate the UK terms. Anything with Very Good attached to it should mean very clean and pretty much perfect playback. Of course we all know that doesn't apply in record terms.

I certainly wouldn't be happy with that amount of background noise if its been graded vg+ or above.
        "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

On the grades you've given above, that's a Good record - you can clearly hear the crackles. If I was selling it I would say "G+ plays fine with just a little crackle" and am sure the buyer would be happy.
          Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

I wasn't sure whether the distorted sound was down to the record or a result of how it had been recorded - thought it was probably the recording so went for VG-

I assume G generally means "well ploughed", and I didn't think the crackling took it into that zone.

Comment

Can't grade a record properly through seeing it on youtube.

Comment

I'm sure Col could pop around and play it to you.
                SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Stop fannying about and get the bloody out
                  Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                    Yeah, great, now my YouTube is all gummed up.

Comment

Voted VG-.
                      record licker

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                        A pva would bring this up to Vg+. You like my pva icon babycart
                        Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

Sound-wise there is a little distortion but that could be the recording. The crackle is not too obtrusive (and mp3 playback can accentuate that?) so at a push VG but probably VG-

From what I can see visually it looks pretty clean. Many sellers only grade visually so from the look of the label could get away with EX probably (there is a tiny ring wear?).

Comment

What's the point in visual grading? In the end it's all about how it sounds?

I'd say the crackle is very apparent ... so wouldn't really grade this as VG (I posted a thread about grading records recently).

But if this is a VG to you guys (who probably have more experience in grading than me), I should grade less conservatively.

Comment

I'd like to see/hear what constitutes a vg disc according to whoever graded this as EX+!!!
                              Everyone tear down your own little wall
                              That keeps you from being a part of it all
                              Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                              You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Working...
                              X