No announcement yet.

Could've been the next Diana Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barbara McNair could have been the slightly previous Diana Ross.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Alan Davies replies.

Originally posted by babycart View Post
      Barbara McNair could have been the slightly previous Diana Ross.
      I'm surprised Alan hasn't posted up a picture of Fulham's most famous fan yet.
      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
        Diana wasn't even the best singer in The Supremes. She had a breath control issue that meant she'd 'hiccup' between lines. They edited it out on the records but, live, it sounds very odd, especially in uptempo numbers.

I'd never noticed that but now you've pointed it out it's hugely annoying.

Voice-wise I'd suggest Barbara Lewis but she possibly didn't have the marketable glamour element that was so obviously a big part of Ross's appeal.
        And how about Shirley Ellis?
        Boy George knew my father

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
          I'm surprised Alan hasn't posted up a picture of Fulham's most famous fan yet.
          undercover...

with metal bars separating him from children...

being taken away...

Comment

Take away MJ, take away the soul
            Take away MJ, take away the goals
            some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
              Diana wasn't even the best singer in The Supremes. She had a breath control issue that meant she'd 'hiccup' between lines.
              I always liked the way she sobs with grief ( clears her throat a bit) in this one.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by medlar View Post
                Take away MJ, take away the soul
                Take away MJ, take away the goals

It´s like a ravens/Tower of London scenario, isn´t it?
                I´ll be a bit disappointed if the SOARAWAY SUPER FOXES don´t get a crack at Fulham next season.
                Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                  We're running a big piece of Mary Love and want to feature a few other female artists of the era who 'could have been the next Diana Ross'. Any others?
                  A great excuse to post her gospel / modern soul crossover big Robbie Vincent spin from around 1987 I think?

<<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

What happened to her?
                    Everyone tear down your own little wall
                    That keeps you from being a part of it all
                    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                    You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

A nice chap I used to work with was equally passionate about Diana Ross and Linda Lewis and insisted they shared a lot of the same qualities and that Linda could have been a major artist a la Ross.

He dealt with both of them on a regular basis (probably still does) and while they both sounded like total nightmares to me, he was properly in awe of their talents and would do anything for them. He had literally thousands of Diana Ross records. On the plus side he also had complete runs of 1st press Stax, Stateside, Motown and a bunch of other golden age labels. So, not obsessive or anything.

Comment

Darlene Love

Comment

Originally posted by ninja simone View Post
                          I'd never noticed that but now you've pointed it out it's hugely annoying.
                          It sounded better when Michael Jackson did it.
                          SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by peretti View Post
                            I like a lot of Supremes stuff I don't think Diana Ross' voice is a patch on most of those mentioned above.
                            Seconded - directly (and recognising that it sounds like others feel the same way).

Comment

"Could have been the next Diana Ross"...

In terms of Motown female singer hits it big?
                              Average female singer hits it big?
                              Black singer crosses over big?
                              Black singer with an atypical build - sorry getting on dodgy ground now!
                              etc

(Although not a fan of Diana I have always liked Remember Me, I'm Still Waiting... and My Old Piano!)

In terms of female lead singer of a group goes solo and hits it big how about Frankie Gearing (Glories, Quiet Elegance) ?

Comment

If the world was a fairer place we should have been asking who could've been the next Florence Ballard
                                it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                                take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

Working...
                                X