X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• babycart
    replied
    Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
    Was it this one - one of my favourite Supremes bits (apart from them playing table tennis of course)

Transvestism and gigantic hair. Great stuff
    This is the clip I plan to screen on the wall when I come and play at Brillo

Leave a comment:

• SirSlim
    replied
    Originally posted by djh62uk View Post
    There was a video of The Supremes being screened on the wall during the first hour or two of Brillo. Costumes looked great but for some reason the sound was muted, I think some herberts were playing records or something.
    Was it this one - one of my favourite Supremes bits (apart from them playing table tennis of course)

Leave a comment:

• babycart
    replied
    Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
    Diana wasn't even the best singer in The Supremes. She had a breath control issue that meant she'd 'hiccup' between lines.
    I was listening at the weekend and Florence Ballard does this too. Seems to be intentional.
    Diana Ross wasn´t the best singer in the Supremes, but she was the most distinctive. You can recognise her immediately and her thin, dispassionate voice was perfect for pop. Like many not-particularly brilliant pop singers, she also compensated by working on her style

Leave a comment:

• Taze
    replied
    Not sure if she could of been the next Diana Ross but Brenda Holloway was on motown and "when im gone" still gives me goosebumps, such a nice ender
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAIX1imfNEo

Leave a comment:

• djh62uk
    replied
    There was a video of The Supremes being screened on the wall during the first hour or two of Brillo. Costumes looked great but for some reason the sound was muted, I think some herberts were playing records or something.

Leave a comment:

• Saint Jude
    replied
    If the world was a fairer place we should have been asking who could've been the next Florence Ballard

Leave a comment:

• candiman
    replied
    "Could have been the next Diana Ross"...

In terms of Motown female singer hits it big?
    Average female singer hits it big?
    Black singer crosses over big?
    Black singer with an atypical build - sorry getting on dodgy ground now!
    etc

(Although not a fan of Diana I have always liked Remember Me, I'm Still Waiting... and My Old Piano!)

In terms of female lead singer of a group goes solo and hits it big how about Frankie Gearing (Glories, Quiet Elegance) ?

Leave a comment:

• candiman
    replied
    Originally posted by peretti View Post
    I like a lot of Supremes stuff I don't think Diana Ross' voice is a patch on most of those mentioned above.
    Seconded - directly (and recognising that it sounds like others feel the same way).

Leave a comment:

• ginghamkitchen
    replied
    Originally posted by ninja simone View Post
    I'd never noticed that but now you've pointed it out it's hugely annoying.
    It sounded better when Michael Jackson did it.

Leave a comment:

• Great Day
    replied
    Darlene Love

Leave a comment:

• peretti
    replied
    A nice chap I used to work with was equally passionate about Diana Ross and Linda Lewis and insisted they shared a lot of the same qualities and that Linda could have been a major artist a la Ross.

He dealt with both of them on a regular basis (probably still does) and while they both sounded like total nightmares to me, he was properly in awe of their talents and would do anything for them. He had literally thousands of Diana Ross records. On the plus side he also had complete runs of 1st press Stax, Stateside, Motown and a bunch of other golden age labels. So, not obsessive or anything.

Leave a comment:

• treeboy
    replied

What happened to her?

Leave a comment:

• Ian Townsend
    replied
    Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
    We're running a big piece of Mary Love and want to feature a few other female artists of the era who 'could have been the next Diana Ross'. Any others?
    A great excuse to post her gospel / modern soul crossover big Robbie Vincent spin from around 1987 I think?

Leave a comment:

• babycart
    replied
    Originally posted by medlar View Post
    Take away MJ, take away the soul
    Take away MJ, take away the goals

It´s like a ravens/Tower of London scenario, isn´t it?
    I´ll be a bit disappointed if the SOARAWAY SUPER FOXES don´t get a crack at Fulham next season.

Leave a comment:

• babycart
    replied
    Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
    Diana wasn't even the best singer in The Supremes. She had a breath control issue that meant she'd 'hiccup' between lines.
    I always liked the way she sobs with grief ( clears her throat a bit) in this one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X