Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend

It was pretty good all round here. Friday I drove to my newly discovered S/H books/record shop which is shut at weekends ... it's a great little place in the back of beyond with little passing trade. I only found out about it when I saw a flyer pasted to a lampost in a town nearby and I thought I'd pop in.
    Spoke to the owner and she said she's slowly putting the newer stock out so I'll be popping in regularly Since I was there last Peter Wyngarde's Lp has gone for £50 as has a mint mono copy of Disraeli Gears which I had my eye on.

Anyhow I only picked up a few things this time -

Melanie 'Candles in the Rain' - featuring Lay Down as heard on Manzo's Xmas CD
    The World Of Progressive Music - Decca. Good comp with the great 'Down at Circes Place' by Touch, The John Cameron Quartet, East of Eden etc
    Keef Hartley - Halfbreed. Super mono copy!

Passed up on a couple of Contours - Samantha Jones 'Now' and 'Afro Rock' - any info? Also a fist full of De Wolfe latter issues - can't remember the titles but might be tempted just for the covers

Not only that, on Saturday les Rouges defeated les Bleu and I won our monthly poker game
    Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

Halfbreed is a great record. Damn I need more keef hartley lps!
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

the Contour 'Afro Rock Festival'? not rare, but a few good tracks. Googling should turn up more info. one of the bands (Simba?) is Jade Warrior + the horn section from Assagai (who evidently had got hammered in the pub beforehand), those tracks were on a rare 45, i think the rest is unreleased, pretty certain no overlap with LPs by the other artists. does that make any sense? it's too early for my pore brane...

edit - oh yeah, sound quality is pretty ropey, but some of the tracks are playout-able. only pay a couple of quid for it - it will turn up for 50p sooner or later

Comment

Albums:

Change - Sharing your love -RFC 1982
        Mtume - You me and he -Epic 1984
        Carl Anderson - A.W.O.L -Epic 1982
        Janet Jackson - s/t A&M 1982
        Aretha Franklin - Jump to it -Arista 1982
        Aretha Franklin - Get it right -Arista 1983
        Invinsible Mans band - Really wanna see you -Broadwalk 1981
        Unlimited Touch - s/t -Prelude 1981
        Shakatak - Out of this world -Polydor 1983
        Lil' albert - Movin in - Silvercloud 1976
        Kpm - Open air vol 2. -1972
        Kpm - Tender Emotions - 1976

12":
        Young and company - waiting on your love/Sexy lady -Excaliber 1980
        Brenda Taylor - You can't have your cake and eat it too -Excaliber 1982
        Alton Edwards - I just wanna spend some time with you -Streetwave 1981
        Secret Weapon - Must be the music - Prelude 1982

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia
          the Contour 'Afro Rock Festival'?
          That's the johnny - the cover's meant to look like one of those '50's Les Baxter records. I think I'll have a punt on it next time - cheers
          Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

Comment

Originally posted by Mumbles
            Passed up on a couple of Contours - Samantha Jones 'Now' and 'Afro Rock' - any info? Also a fist full of De Wolfe latter issues - can't remember the titles but might be tempted just for the covers
            The second track on my Christmas mix is Listen Here by Grutz from that afro rock album. in case you want to try before you buy.

Comment

Working...
            X