Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

....and here's everybody's favourite part of VG+ (Warning that may not be true at all)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ....and here's everybody's favourite part of VG+ (Warning that may not be true at all)

Yes! It's this weeks tedious question about the selling of record online. I sold a record to a guy in foreign parts and he's demanding a full refund as its unplayable. Upon closer discussion he says an area which was mentioned in the listing as having a mark of possible residue played with some greater surface noise than the rest of the record. But since its a comp that might be the source. In any case I played it a number of times and actually made a copy of the whole thing on my rega which plays fine with some crackle. He says these two songs jump and skip but that it can't be his fault as his record player plays other records fine. Though as it is the final two tracks on a side tracking issues that might not generally be a problem could be exacerbated.

Every dealer I've dealt with when there's been a problem has said that if I want a full refund I can return at my expense. This guy however isn't buying this and is now suggesting as some form of compromise that if he sends it back and it skips for me I should pay for the return post as well as give him a refund. I'm tempted to agree to that because unless he's screwed it up it should be fine (and I was in two minds about selling it). And as we both agree which tracks are or are not "damaged" there isn't really the same risk of a switcheroo.

Thoughts? Or random distractions and humurous asides?
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

What was the grading ETK?
    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Originally posted by medlar View Post
      What was the grading ETK?
      VG+ with a specific note mentioning those two tracks as having surface noise and a mark. Though as its a comp of 60s reggae the source may be at fault too.
      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Get him to send it back, tell him it doesn't skip on your set up. refund him the cost of the album not the return postage!! Simple

Comment

sounds like another chancer, I have had a fair few recently, if the payment was through paypal many people are now aware of how easy it is rip off honest sellers.
          I had one just last week who I am 99% sure just wanted to rip the vinyl and then state it wasnt in the condition stated, as when I receive the record back I gave it a thorough play through as is (i.e without cleaning it again in anyway) and it sounded just fine to me. I just sent him his money back and put it down to one of those things that will happen.
          I also find that some newer lovers of vinyl who may of only listened to MP3's and new vinyl LPs are finding it harder to come to terms with a little bit of noise of used vinyl, for me thats part of the magic of good old vinyl.

Comment

Tell him to keep the record and refund original cost, make a note of who he is for the future. As ye know I don't deal in records at work but occasionally have to field Amazon Marketplace probs from dubiously graded crap my boss has stuck on-line. Get over the "mental hurdle" that he just might be putting one over and move on with life.
            Oh and if you decided to sell you don't really want it back that's just grip fever, you'd have been happy with the sale if he hadn't raised an issue.

Comment

Different turntables can get different results unfortunately, You just have to take it on the chin.

I have often found myself on the other side, where the seller swears it plays perfectly for them on their setup, but on mine sounds like a fire
              My Mixcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Moogaloo View Post
                Different turntables can get different results unfortunately, You just have to take it on the chin.
                Not according to this guy. Which is annoying as the MP3 rip I made was fine (bar a little noise) certainly no skips. A refund of the record (and getting to keep it) or sending it back at his expense for a no-quibble refund seem not to be enough. I'd hoped for a bit of give and take/share the pain.

John Peel

Comment

on the flip to this thread I just had a record delivered but I wanted the flip. It was one of those promos with the a side on both sides. Seller refunded the lot and told me to keep it. Although it was a cheapo. Needless to say I have now added him on my favourites and will defo trade with him again.
                  Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
                    A refund of the record (and getting to keep it) or sending it back at his expense for a no-quibble refund seem not to be enough.
                    Why? What else is he suggesting? Interested to hear

Comment

Originally posted by stupidnation View Post
                      Why? What else is he suggesting? Interested to hear
                      That I give him a full refund of cost of lp and postage or that plus I pay for return postage.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
                        Not according to this guy. Which is annoying as the MP3 rip I made was fine (bar a little noise) certainly no skips. A refund of the record (and getting to keep it) or sending it back at his expense for a no-quibble refund seem not to be enough. I'd hoped for a bit of give and take/share the pain.
                        he might be running a balsa wood arm with 0.1g of tracking so things that dont skip on a half way sensible set up might jump all over the place on his no matter what he says.

ebay says returns at buyers expense i think ? so if you want to play by the rules then those are the rules.
                        Chimptown, now twinned with Cockermouth, Penistone and Big Beaver, Pennsylvania..

Comment

you know as hard on the seller as it might seem, when I am a buyer and I get something dodgy I does drive me mad that I have to pay to send it back. Tis why I love shopping on amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by eclipsechaser View Post
                            you know as hard on the seller as it might seem, when I am a buyer and I get something dodgy I does drive me mad that I have to pay to send it back. Tis why I love shopping on amazon.
                            Phil, what's the difference with Amazon out of interest?

As for your earlier point, that's why I gave up buying second hand online, so many frauds with fake gradings. (Apologies to all the genuine sellers).
                            some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Originally posted by medlar View Post
                              Phil, what's the difference with Amazon out of interest?

As for your earlier point, that's why I gave up buying second hand online, so many frauds with fake gradings. (Apologies to all the genuine sellers).
                              I meant amazon in general but it does apply to vinyl too. If your not happy they will arrange for it to go back. They have even set up new return delivery drop offs in places like corner shops and village post offices all around to country so you dont have to put in the post or wait for the delivery man.

I dont really buy too many big ticket items so fraud isnt an issue with me. I buy a lot of vg to vg+ as well which is quite broad and after a pva or wash they come out brill.

Comment

Working...
                              X