It's a sign - symtoms of collectoritis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a sign - symtoms of collectoritis

I've just realised that for over 6 months I have consistently been waiting for a record to arrive. Not the same record i hasten to add, but there is always something on pre-order (this is the big game changer for me - buying more new releases or subscriptions, means ordering weeks sometimes months before delivery) or in the post. I have a note of what is on the ordered-and-not-arrived list, but have to admit that on occasion something arrives that I have forgotten about! There has not been any time in the last 6 month that I have been awaiting no records. This gives me a sense of achievement and zen like calm.

Is this usual for everyone else? Have I just upgraded my collector status? What's next?
    "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

I've just ordered the Eccentronic Research Council's new LP, but that's my only incoming. Orders for new stuff really dropped off in the last year, when my income dipped. If I had the cash, I would likely splash. I am trying to sell shit loads to make up the shortfall.
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

I think it's interesting you've swapped around to new releases rather than old records. Perhaps this is a trend - the board's focus subtly shifting - from eBay sniping of old stuff to picking up new bits? It seems to me that there is now so much good new stuff, influenced by the genres fetished here that you could quite happily spend all your money collecting these releases.

As for collectoritis - normally the upper limit/virgin territory that you break is price, isn't it? Or some format obsession? Or, horror of the horror, the two combined - that way lies Beatles & Elvis fandom. What you're saying seems perfectly rational to me Steve. I am currently awaiting a new release, but I know exactly what it is. Hopefully it gets here today!
      "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Originally posted by pitch View Post
        I've just realised that for over 6 months I have consistently been waiting for a record to arrive.

What's next?
        That would depend on whether you:

(a) actually listen to the blighters

(b) file them away for posterity

Last edited by medlar; 13-02-2014, 12:31 PM.
        some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

If i've got money to spend, and I'm at home... then i've been known to wait for the postman, like a dog waits for his master to come home...

If i've not got money to spend, then when one arrives the hunt begins for another cheapy... only when that arrives does the process repeat itself. Same thing slower pace...

I should add that going charity shopping these days (unless I'm idling time away during work) hardly happens - so online is the main source...
          In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

I'm in a constant nervous state consisting of :

waiting for the postman
            checking ebay for records
            trying to remember what I have bought recently
            pacing the room contemplating all the above

I occasionally get to play them.
            Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

I suspect what you descibe is normal round here.
              Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by medlar View Post
                That would depend on whether you:

(a) actually listen to the blighters

(by file them away for posterity

A few records, for me, is b). I've become obsessed recently with collecting all of the Japanese Charming Hit album series, the Top Drummer series and the Pop 20 Best series. Some of the music on them is dire, really bad sax cheesecake stuff. Some of them have some wonderful psyched out funk covers of well known pop tracks from the 70's. I usually look for the stuff with Kunihiko Suzuki's or Jun Mayuzumi's name attached to it.

Comment

most of the folks on here that i know have always bought new stuff as well as old.

they just talk about it more, i reckon.

which is nice.

Comment

'P'
                    record licker

Comment

Going back to the original question, "what's next?". I have experience of this! Most of last year I was on a bit of a spree, the upshot being that not only was I constantly expecting stuff, and trying to keep track, but EVERY single day (give the man a day off on Sundays!) I'd come home from work and there'd be vinyl on the doormat or in the bin cupboard. My partner started referring to the postman as "your mate", as in "your mate's been round again. Reined it in a bit now, and am enjoying listening to the stuff. Trouble is, you buggers keep flagging up the good stuff!
                      Everyone tear down your own little wall
                      That keeps you from being a part of it all
                      Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                      You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

The most serious symptom of terminal collectoritis is piles of parcels with records in, all unopened. At that point the habit is purely about the thrill of clicking the BIN button.
                        <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Girlfriend is buying records at the same rate as me... when I get home and there is a pulse-raising pile and it turns out to be for her... well, I try to be happy for her. One each* today which is a nice diplomatic solution I'd say.

*Andre Williams Silky since you ask. Pretty flipping cool I'd say on first listen (NSFW but you knew that right?)

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Townsend View Post
                            The most serious symptom of terminal collectoritis is piles of parcels with records in, all unopened. At that point the habit is purely about the thrill of clicking the BIN button.
                            in a pile of old 7" envelopes I was recycling I found a copy of showstopper by Iron Knowledge ... it made me concerned for my own habit
                            Rockwell
                            Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post
                              most of the folks on here that i know have always bought new stuff as well as old.

they just talk about it more, i reckon.

which is nice.
                              I think there is more new vinyl that's exploring genres "we like". I might be wrong but I'm aware of a more. Could just be my perception. Or it could be that once you start you look for more. And there's always the hope you can get tomorrows rare sought after wax for new release price. You can live some analogue of the dream of havign a time machine (or being very old) and getting all those sixties freakbeat tunes for 5shillings in your local Woolies.
                              Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Working...
                              X