De La Free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De La Free

Free de la soul albums on their website special for valentines. Get it quick.
    I know your game Lionel! I can see what you really are!

Originally posted by Brass Monkey View Post
    Free de la soul albums on their website special for valentines. Get it quick.
    So I've go them quick
    Apart from 3 Feet High and De La Soul is dead I don't know any of the others
    What do people on hear think about them - my hip hop collection grinds to a halt in about 1990
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

'Buhloone Mind State' is arguable their best, to my ears anyway, certainly worth a quick download.
      "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Same story over here. My hip hop 'collection' is pretty limited. I only requested two albums De La then got the email with link to all of them so now feel I ought to check them all out. That said, I can't even find enough time for the Xmas VG+ mixes right now so it'll be probably be months before I get around to listening to De La's mighty canon.

Comment

I love Bullhoone Mindstate. I think they've always struggled to match the originality and creativity of 3 Feet which is understandable but they always put out interesting and intriguing bits. I liked Shopping Bags and Rock Co Cane Flow (both from Grind Date) which came out more recently, but I am no expert.

I thought the whole process was pretty slick, I found out about it late on Friday - was it just me and you that got the freebies then? edit - obv not.

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
            So I've go them quick
            Apart from 3 Feet High and De La Soul is dead I don't know any of the others
            What do people on hear think about them - my hip hop collection grinds to a halt in about 1990
            'Buhloone Mindstate' is really, very good. And the title track from 'Stakes Is High' is as good as anything they've ever done, in my opinion. Bar the singles, I'm not familiar with the last two Tommy Boy LPs but now I can find out what they're like.
            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
              'Buhloone Mindstate' is really, very good. And the title track from 'Stakes Is High' is as good as anything they've ever done, in my opinion. Bar the singles, I'm not familiar with the last two Tommy Boy LPs but now I can find out what they're like.
              Thirded on Buhloonie Mindstate. I *loved* the whole Stakes is High album, thought it was as strong and interesting as it's predecessor. I got the last album (correction - I got one of the Art Official Intelligence albums) and didn't really listen to it, which can be taken as an indicator of how good it is, to look that gift horse squarely in the mouth. I did like the track with Chaka Khan but don't think they broke new ground in the way that they had done so effortlessly before.
              "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

I never got away with 'Stakes is high', got it at the time, then moved it on...Might be in a real minority here, but it's down to the bland J Dilla production for me!

Pleased to see everyone really likes, 'Buhloonie Mindstate', thought it might have just been me!

Comment

Sorry to side track this thread slightly but does anyone know how to unzip files on an IPad one? I've got the De La Downloads but can't listen to them!

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                    I never got away with 'Stakes is high', got it at the time, then moved it on...Might be in a real minority here, but it's down to the bland J Dilla production for me!
                    I thought it was really creative at the time. Perhaps a bit less exciting than Buhloonie Mindstate but still very, very strong. Continuously made me laugh I seem to recall.
                    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Comment

Originally posted by Tsundoku View Post
                      I thought it was really creative at the time. Perhaps a bit less exciting than Buhloonie Mindstate but still very, very strong. Continuously made me laugh I seem to recall.
                      I'm a bit hit and miss with De la Soul, not a big fan of '3 feet', think it's a very over rated LP, That saidI can see it's importance and why people like it. Don't think it's dated too well either.

Comment

I would agree with you there actually. Such a distinct style is always gonna date weirdly. It seems so totally emblematic of that time for me, "Daisy Age" is all tied in with memories of the early days of house music and raving etc, that kind of hippy revival thing that was going on for a while. I can't imagine listening to it now - so maybe I should. I still think Plug Tunin' is brilliant though.

Comment

Still a big fan of 'Pot holes in the lawn', Prince Paul is on mighty fine form.

I was more of a Public Enemy fan of the time (and still am), and De la Soul was at the other end of the spectrum.

Comment

De La Soul have always been favourites of mine, De La is Dead was one of the first albums I got when I first started listening to Hip Hop and 3ft high and rising was the first bit of vinyl I ever bought (still have it somewhere although its pretty battered now). Really liked Buhloonie Mindstate but I did sort of loose interest after that. Think its because the parted company with Prince Paul and they lost a bit of there humour, not so much the skits but just a general cheeky/interesting vibe that was lacking from Stakes Is High.

I have downloaded the later albums (from the website yesterday) and listened to AOI today which I quite enjoyed although there was a bit more singing than I usually like. Think ill give Stakes Is High a go tomorrow, see how I get on with it...
                            Now celebrating over 1000 posts of nonsense.....
                            www.facebook.com/mindtrekers
                            www.soundcloud.com/mr-munch

Comment

I love Buddy.

Comment

Working...
                              X