Driscoll & Auger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driscoll & Auger?

Just recently got the single "I am a lonesome hobo" really like it. mad picture on the cover, Brian Auger has the best hair.

I dont really know much about 60's psyche music, im more of a electronic library person, so its all quite new to me. Im thinkin of picking up one o their LP's anyone recommend one?
    any help would be o pree c 8 ed
    Earfuzz

I like the Open and Befour albums best but to be fair, they're all crackers so take your pick!
    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

'Open' is very nice, 'Street Noise' is very, very nice and ....erm that's it - I think she only did two with Auger (apart from the later 70's ones which are a bit forgetable). There's a cheap Polydor best of which is ace too and an earlier MFP one which is also ace!

The Auger and Trinity 'Befour' and 'Definitely What' are superb too.

I'd say get it all!
      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Buy Street Noise, make no mistake, this is one of the best UK lp's released in this era, or ever infact, in any genre.The US Atco issue will be the cheapest way to get the vinyl. It is incredible.
        Before I bought this LP I was a fool, buying shit hip hop 12"'s just cause thay came out that week & breaks used by rappers, simply cause they were used by rappers. Think it was Common Sense maybe used something offa Street Noise, & we were just dipping our toes in the rock pool, fuck me. It was fuck hip hop, fuck acid jazz, this is the real do do.....
        Street Noise is, possibly, my fave ever LP. Check stuff like Light My Fire next to the Nina Simone penned a word about color. Tropics of Capricorn.....

The Mfp Lp IS GREAT, Open is awesome Season of the Witch has never been topped IMHO.
        Most of the Oblivioan Express stuff (Just Auger & band no JOOLS) leaves me fairly cold. Covers of Freedom Jazz Dance that are so so. Better than a lot of stuff I grant You.
        Buy Street noise & spend the rest of your time trying to find shit that comes up to it's initial impact. Go on, I challenge you.
        Boney
        Not quite, but on the way to being tipsy.
        Just off to watch the rest og Harold Shipman documentary
        later
        You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

Streetnoise

Sorry to repeat what's already been said but I have to say the tracks "Indian Rope Man" & "Flesh Failures" off the Streetnoise album are mind blowing
          Vinyl Sales are outstripping CD Sales 10000 to 1

Comment

Right, youve convinced be, time to hunt those babies down. Ive seen 'open' on ebay. Gonnna try an track downstreet noise though.

the thing that really surprised me on that track 'lonesome hobo' was julie's voice, very soulfull touch to it, gonna have to go play it again me thinks

so much music, so little time,

thanks for the recommendations chap's
            Earfuzz

Comment

Originally posted by Ziggy_Stardust_72
              Sorry to repeat what's already been said but I have to say the tracks "Indian Rope Man" & "Flesh Failures" off the Streetnoise album are mind blowing
              Let the Sunshine In.
              How good is that!
              You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

Originally posted by BoneyVotel
                Let the Sunshine In.
                How good is that!
                Ellis Island

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Here's a rundown of a lot of Auger's LPs. His earlier stuff is definitely better than the latter when he got a new band behind him.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/cra...egory=A&page=7
                  http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/cra...egory=A&page=8
                  http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k-LP%20Covers/

Comment

Theres a really great Marmalade 45 sinlge version of Red, Beans and Rice (Orig Booker T and the MGS) which is completely different to the LP Version (of Definately What). It is a bit lie black cat only with more bollocks, loads of stabbing horns, psychedelic guitar and Augers Organ, No Julie Driscoll though.

I have 6 Brian Auger and The Trinity LPs in All (Well 7 with a best of)

Streetnoise - This is great for Julie Driscoll stuff with Light my Fire and Indian Rope Man being top. Indian Rope Man would end up on my desert Island Discs

Open - Split into too sides "Jools" and "Auge" it has the vocal stuff with Julie Driscoll including "Break it Up","Season of the Witch" and "Tramp" on the flip is the awsome "Black Cat" and the strange exotic "Goodbye Jungle Telegraph"

The Steampacket (The First Supergroup) - This was never released in the 60s and is only available when released in the late 80s on charly. Long John Baldry and Rod Stewart join Brian AUger, The Trinity and Julie Driscoll and the results are not bad, but in my opinion this is the weakest LP of the Lot.

Definately What - Getting a bit Jazzy here, but George Bruno Money is a storming track.

Before - Just before he went Jazz Fusion and formed the Oblivion Express , but his is a lot better than that stuff with his cover of "Listen Here" being the highlight

Brain Auger - Same on springboard - No mention of the trinity here, But I am guessing that is the band. There is the great pschedelic Tiger and some great covers of stuff like Kiko (Jimmy McGriff), Foolkiller (Mose Allison) and Back at the Chicken Shack

Further Listening you could track down some "The Shotgun Express" stuff which is very much in the Veign of Brian AUger/Trinity/Julie Driscoll
                    My Mixcloud

Comment

If we're talking the Auger, then everybody's spot on so far, but be sure to check out 'Black Cat' - for me, possibly their best danceable track they made, over 'Indian Ropeman'.

And not to everybody's taste really, but the later stuff he did as the Oblivion Express is nice too. Not the same psyche bite of their earlier sides, but tracks like Inner City Blues are nice enough covers. A far smoother and produced sound all in all though.

Comment

Originally posted by Belson
                        If we're talking the Auger, then everybody's spot on so far, but be sure to check out 'Black Cat' - for me, possibly their best danceable track they made, over 'Indian Ropeman'.

And not to everybody's taste really, but the later stuff he did as the Oblivion Express is nice too. Not the same psyche bite of their earlier sides, but tracks like Inner City Blues are nice enough covers. A far smoother and produced sound all in all though.
                        Theres an italian version of Black cat 'cato nero!' also that would stop a chargin' rhino.
                        generally buy all driscoll auger stuff.......his own stuff is a little more 'acquired'
                        MODZ
                        Hero No.9
                        Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
                        THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

Originally posted by SARGE
                          Theres an italian version of Black cat 'cato nero!' also that would stop a chargin' rhino.
                          generally buy all driscoll auger stuff.......his own stuff is a little more 'acquired'
                          And Sarge, you'ld like the version of Black Cat done by Rastus.

Double LP on GRT with one LP recorded live, a 9 minute live version including instrument breaks etc, and the other piece o'wax being the studio session. Nice 3.15 minute version there too.

Comment

Originally posted by Belson
                            And Sarge, you'ld like the version of Black Cat done by Rastus.

Double LP on GRT with one LP recorded live, a 9 minute live version including instrument breaks etc, and the other piece o'wax being the studio session. Nice 3.15 minute version there too.
                            belly, lets go camping.........

dont know this and am stickin' to the seat........
                            MODZ
                            Hero No.9
                            Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
                            THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

My top ten and I am a Huge Brian Auger Fan

1) Indian Rope Man
                              2) Red Beans and Rice (single version, not the LP version)
                              3) Black Cat
                              4) Season of the Witch
                              5) Tiger
                              6) George Bruno Money
                              7) I am a Lonesome Hobo
                              8) Light my fire
                              9) Break it Up
                              10) Tramp
                              My Mixcloud

Comment

Working...
                              X