Vinyl Pressing Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl Pressing Tips

I made a couple of tunes that I was fairly happy with. They're built out of samples and pretty crude and basic and all that but I decided that I wanted to have them on vinyl so I could play them while dj-ing without buggering around switching to cd or laptop or whatever. So I sent the files off to Vinyl Carvers and twenty quid so that they could cut me a one-off double-sided seven. I got the record back yesterday and (as I was kinda half expecting) it sounds terrible. Specifically the bass sounds feeble. Anyone know why this should be? Is there anything I can do to tweak it so that if I cut it again it will sound ok or is it just not worth doing? The digital files I have sound fine (to my ears) when I've played them out so shouldn't it be possible to reproduce this on vinyl? Or am I just showing my ignorance with that question?
    Really grateful for any help at all with this - thanks!

my knowledge is limited but did you have the tracks mastered ?
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Originally posted by Sie-Fly View Post
      my knowledge is limited but did you have the tracks mastered ?
      Nope not at all. They didn't mention that on the website just asked for the file by WeTransfer. How would I go about doing that? How much would it cost?

Comment

OK, sounds like the way to go but how do I do that? Is it something I can do myself (almost certainly not) or what?

Comment

I would advise letting someone else have a crack at it, shouldn't take them too long so you would pay about £50 for a professional Master. A lot cheaper if you can find a budding studio engineer with some decent knowledge. What program did you use to make your songs? Some have built in mastering pre-sets. I know there are specific frequencies you need to boost and cut when mastering for vinyl but I'm not sure what they would be?

You could probably make it better yourself and you would also learn through tutorials and a little googling, which wouldn't hurt.

Hope that helps!
          I'm not an expert, I just pass our stuff over to other people so correct me if I'm wrong on anything.

Hope that helps
          http://www.facebook.com/weekendsun
          http://soundcloud.com/weekend-sun
          http://www.myspace.com/weekendsun

Comment

That's very helpful - thanks all of you. Will try and read and understand that link above and some tutorials etc
            Tracks are just built in Audacity fyi. What's weird is that apart from the bass it sounds pretty much exactly as I wanted, better than I expected really. I guess that was just a fluke then?

Comment

FR, I can recommend a studio in Sheffield who mastered the Hobbies of Today tracks which I'm releasing on vinyl this year. The carves I had made from the masters sound awesome. PM me for details...
              OK: ready; let's do it ...

>>> Hobbies Of Today - RU12 EP: Unreleased South Yorkshire Post-Glam/Proto-Punk from 1977 <<<

Comment

Yeah, you'll need to get them mastered unless you have some knowledge of engineering and/or how sound works in a recorded medium and the reproduction thereof.
                some producers/musicians can get their finished tracks to a decent standard so that they need a minimal mastering session. Usually just to add that final layer of pro polish
                to the mix so that it sounds err, professional!
                That's the point at which the track can be pressed to whatever format you want.
                Sounds to me they took your tracks and just cut them straight to vinyl.
                In fairness, they wouldn't really be expected to chase you about mastering, they'd expect you to have that side of things sorted in the first instance before
                giving them the finished track.
                In London there are a whole bunch of decent mastering/cutting suites. Transition is one such studio, they can cut you a 'dubplate' for around fifty quid
                or so, it'll probably be on twelve inch vinyl rather than seven as the grooves are wider and the ammount of audio information (dynamic range) you can store is greater on twelve inch than a seven, better sound
                quality.
                Also it can depend on what file type you 'bounced' your finished tune to, most cutting/mastering suites will ask for AIFF format files rather than WAV, although this isn't strictly
                set in stone. Both have different qualities.
                Transition here-
                http://www.transition-studios.com/
                Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

"FR, I can recommend a studio in Sheffield who mastered the Hobbies of Today tracks which I'm releasing on vinyl this year. The carves I had made from the masters sound awesome. PM me for details...
                  Brilliant! That would be helpful. Well, I'll try and figure it out myself first and then probably give up on that and try someone who knows what they're doing. Unfortunately my pms are still not working but if you don't mind you could email me. I''m on hotmail and the first bit is rich f walsh - will delete that when you've contacted me. Thank you very much.

Comment

"Sounds to me they took your tracks and just cut them straight to vinyl."
                    Yeah, that's what they did. So do you reckon it was just a fluke that the non-bass parts sounded ok?

Comment

Dot com thanks

Comment

Email sent...
                        OK: ready; let's do it ...

>>> Hobbies Of Today - RU12 EP: Unreleased South Yorkshire Post-Glam/Proto-Punk from 1977 <<<

Comment

Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
                          Yeah, that's what they did. So do you reckon it was just a fluke that the non-bass parts sounded ok?
                          Not really. The mid range and treble area of the frequency spectrum are fairly diffucult to mess up unless your doing some
                          serious and extreme sound shaping.
                          The art of a good mix(down) is creating space for all the frequencies to co exist in harmony so each element can be heard reasonably clearly, including
                          the bass as this is the anchor of the tune (if there is any kind of bass part in the first place)
                          That's something you only learn about over time, making, recording and mixing your songs whether they're acoustic or electronic or both. And mastering is an art all of it's own.
                          I tend to leave that part of things to people who have the correct kit and experience.
                          Truth is, you never stop learning about sound and music production, anyone who says they know everything about production/mixing and recording is
                          frankly talking out of thier arse!
                          Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
                            I got the record back yesterday and (as I was kinda half expecting) it sounds terrible. Specifically the bass sounds feeble. Anyone know why this should be? Is there anything I can do to tweak it so that if I cut it again it will sound ok or is it just not worth doing? The digital files I have sound fine (to my ears) when I've played them out so shouldn't it be possible to reproduce this on vinyl?
                            A couple of things spring to mind.

I don't know what kind of music it is, but for bass heavy you really have to make it mono for going onto vinyl. Are you using a stereo sample with a bassline (or drum beat with kick drum) and boosting the bass?
                            Cut all bass under 27hz.
                            Compress your bass.
                            Compress your kick
                            Separate the frequencies between the kick and the bass.

Comment

Can I just say that e'en though I know nowt about this I find the depth of knowledge on this board to be truly impressive?
                              An education in fact.
                              I hope Mr. Filthy you get the results you're after and we get a chance to hear the finished do-dad!
                              Best
                              djh

Comment

Working...
                              X