Far East Psych/Rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Far East Psych/Rock

Out & about in Edinburgh on Saturday & stumbled on a mysterious reissue of something called 'Kao Mai Rak Rao Rhok' by Sroeng Santi. Since found out that it's a limited 500 release by "Paradise Bangkok" duo Maft Sai and Chris Menist. This video plays just over a minute of each side, my focus being on the opening track.

This is pretty much the heaviest Far East thing I've heard to date & I was wondering if any of you wonderful people would have similar suggestions?
    I'm trying to find something you don't like...

This is great

http://www.discogs.com/Devils-Anvil-.../master/347870
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Hang on you said 'Far' not 'middle'. Sorry.

Comment

Sroeng Santi did a cover of Iron Man which doesn't sound much like Iron Man but does sound bloody amazing. That was reissued on 45 too.

Comment

assume you also know the cover of "Iron Man" that FK issued, which I'm pretty sure i saw a a copy of in a record shop in that London recently.

Finders Keepers also put out a comp of the stuff at the time, "Thai Dai".

Comment

How about Soreng Santi's version of 'iron man'?

Comment

Oops - what they said.

Comment

vaguely recall Jakartajive pointing folks in the direction of noisy stuff from this region in the past, perhaps he'll drop by with knowledge some time soon.

and there's the (in)famous Cambodian Rocks comps from the late-90s as well:

here's a WFMU blog about them...

Comment

This also has some great stuff on it and Mr menist also has another comp aside from the excellent FK one. THe name escapes me for the moment, but can post later when I'm near my records. There's also an excellent FK podcast that he recorded which, I imagine, can be found reasonably easily on the etherhub.
                  Back and to the left... back and to the left... back and to the left

Comment

And this thread of Hugh's is essential reading - not just for the music either.
                    Back and to the left... back and to the left... back and to the left

Comment

Thanks for the leads! Will have fun picking through them this afternoon.

Comment

San Ul Lim?

"Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                        and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
                          San Ul Lim?

BIG FUZZ

Comment

Originally posted by Mr SJ Herd View Post
                            BIG FUZZ
                            If you want 'Big Fuzz' look out for their previous LP '2'.
                            "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

How about Vietnam (or maybe Japan)? I only know that this was released on a dodgy comp called GI Funk - tunes supposedly played by club bands around Saigon during the American "police action" there. Both tunes by the same players i imagine. Warning - absolutely no fuzz on this - feel free to move right along....
                              The instrument is đ├án tranh (or koto if these cuts originate in Japan).

Fuka Vicente - Tempura Soul:

and Tali Bong - Kota Mata
                              "What's my stance? You know, I like to dance. And smash things up when I get a chance." - Chain and The Gang

Comment

Working...
                              X