Far East Psych/Rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr SJ Herd View Post
    Out & about in Edinburgh on Saturday & stumbled on a mysterious reissue of something called 'Kao Mai Rak Rao Rhok' by Sroeng Santi. Since found out that it's a limited 500 release by "Paradise Bangkok" duo Maft Sai and Chris Menist. This video plays just over a minute of each side, my focus being on the opening track.

This is pretty much the heaviest Far East thing I've heard to date & I was wondering if any of you wonderful people would have similar suggestions?
    www.zudrangmarecords.com

Plenty of records here with soundclips, love that luk thug sound.

Comment

You just after Thai stuff? Or any Asian stuff? Or what?
      There's tons and tons of stuff, natch.

To give but one example . . . here's a piece of Singaporean insanity that should shake the cobwebs away.

To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
        If you want 'Big Fuzz' look out for their previous LP '2'.
        Checked them out on Discogs & seen that they go for around the £20 mark sometimes. Definitely keeping a look out from now on.
        I'm trying to find something you don't like...

Comment

Originally posted by Cochise View Post
          How about Vietnam (or maybe Japan)? I only know that this was released on a dodgy comp called GI Funk - tunes supposedly played by club bands around Saigon during the American "police action" there. Both tunes by the same players i imagine. Warning - absolutely no fuzz on this - feel free to move right along....
          The instrument is đàn tranh (or koto if these cuts originate in Japan).

Fuka Vicente - Tempura Soul:

and Tali Bong - Kota Mata
          Forget the fuzz! Border-Line-Thai-Disco floats my boat any day!

Thanks for all the leads guys, my day off today so will happily spend it sifting through everything.

Comment

Are you referring to a specific region or time period? I've spent a lot of time looking and found lots of heavy bands (especially Japan). Try the "AKA - Hard Beat" comp for some excellent Indonesian (very) heavy psych. Japan has loads of course; "Vow Wow" for some latter-half '70s metal, or Flower Travellin' Band and Blues Creation for some early '70s Sabbathy goodness. I recently did a comp of an Indonesian band "Duo Kribo" on my blog: http://www.aftersabbath.com/2014/01/...o-special.html there's lots and lots more.
            Last edited by RichAfterSabbath; 06-03-2014, 02:29 AM.

Comment

filipino heavies, but maybe not what you looking for if you want more ethnically-flavoured stuff.

Comment

Some tops tips there, RichAfterSabbath.
                Duo Kribo have some killer tracks.
                The LPs are nigh-on impossible to turn up, though, even in Jakarta!

By the way, on a Filipino tip, dig Dakila.
                San Francisco-based, but basically Filipino ion origin and clearly heavily Santana-influenced, but they rock harshly too.
                The whole LP is great.

Comment

Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                  San Francisco-based, but basically Filipino ion origin and clearly heavily Santana-influenced, but they rock harshly too.
                  The whole LP is great.

Familiar with Dakila's Gozala as I spin it out now & again but not much else. Any particular album I should be looking out for?

Comment

Yeah, the one in the picture!

Btw, this thread inspired me to upload a few more of my Indo finds onto YouTube, so thanks for the kick up the arse.

Comment

Btw, this thread inspired me to upload a few more of my Indo finds onto YouTube, so thanks for the kick up the arse.
                      Glad to be of service! I know I could have Googled the s**t out of this if I wanted to, but seems a lot more satisfying finding out about new stuff this way. Knowledge is power!

Comment

Some tops tips there, RichAfterSabbath.
                        Duo Kribo have some killer tracks.
                        The LPs are nigh-on impossible to turn up, though, even in Jakarta!

The whole LP is great.
                        I came upon and bought this a day or two after you posted it. Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing! It's like a barrage of face melting guitar and organ with furious rhythms aplenty. I'm always a sucker for the obligatory mellow track and theirs is a goodun.

Comment

Don't know about availability of his original records, but I was very impressed with the over all quality of the tracks on this Benny Soebardja - The Lizard Years comp. http://lightintheattic.net/releases/...e-lizard-years

Benny Soebardja was also in (very early examples of) Indo prog bands ‘Shark Move’ and ‘Giant Step’, which I guess you have heard of already. The first two Giant Step LP's have some good heavy-ish prog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrHS7QJe-uE Giant Step
                          Last edited by RichAfterSabbath; 09-03-2014, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X