Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RichAfterSabbath
    replied
    Don't know about availability of his original records, but I was very impressed with the over all quality of the tracks on this Benny Soebardja - The Lizard Years comp. http://lightintheattic.net/releases/...e-lizard-years

Benny Soebardja was also in (very early examples of) Indo prog bands ‘Shark Move’ and ‘Giant Step’, which I guess you have heard of already. The first two Giant Step LP's have some good heavy-ish prog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrHS7QJe-uE Giant Step
    Last edited by RichAfterSabbath; 09-03-2014, 11:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• toby.d
    replied
    Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
    Some tops tips there, RichAfterSabbath.
    Duo Kribo have some killer tracks.
    The LPs are nigh-on impossible to turn up, though, even in Jakarta!

By the way, on a Filipino tip, dig Dakila.
    San Francisco-based, but basically Filipino ion origin and clearly heavily Santana-influenced, but they rock harshly too.
    The whole LP is great.
    I came upon and bought this a day or two after you posted it. Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing! It's like a barrage of face melting guitar and organ with furious rhythms aplenty. I'm always a sucker for the obligatory mellow track and theirs is a goodun.

Leave a comment:

• Mr SJ Herd
    replied

Btw, this thread inspired me to upload a few more of my Indo finds onto YouTube, so thanks for the kick up the arse.
    Glad to be of service! I know I could have Googled the s**t out of this if I wanted to, but seems a lot more satisfying finding out about new stuff this way. Knowledge is power!

Leave a comment:

• jakartajive
    replied
    Yeah, the one in the picture!

Btw, this thread inspired me to upload a few more of my Indo finds onto YouTube, so thanks for the kick up the arse.

Leave a comment:

• Mr SJ Herd
    replied
    San Francisco-based, but basically Filipino ion origin and clearly heavily Santana-influenced, but they rock harshly too.
    The whole LP is great.

Familiar with Dakila's Gozala as I spin it out now & again but not much else. Any particular album I should be looking out for?

Leave a comment:

• jakartajive
    replied
    Some tops tips there, RichAfterSabbath.
    Duo Kribo have some killer tracks.
    The LPs are nigh-on impossible to turn up, though, even in Jakarta!

The whole LP is great.

Leave a comment:

• RichAfterSabbath
    replied
    filipino heavies, but maybe not what you looking for if you want more ethnically-flavoured stuff.

Leave a comment:

• RichAfterSabbath
    replied
    Are you referring to a specific region or time period? I've spent a lot of time looking and found lots of heavy bands (especially Japan). Try the "AKA - Hard Beat" comp for some excellent Indonesian (very) heavy psych. Japan has loads of course; "Vow Wow" for some latter-half '70s metal, or Flower Travellin' Band and Blues Creation for some early '70s Sabbathy goodness. I recently did a comp of an Indonesian band "Duo Kribo" on my blog: http://www.aftersabbath.com/2014/01/...o-special.html there's lots and lots more.
    Last edited by RichAfterSabbath; 06-03-2014, 02:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr SJ Herd
    replied
    Originally posted by Cochise View Post
    How about Vietnam (or maybe Japan)? I only know that this was released on a dodgy comp called GI Funk - tunes supposedly played by club bands around Saigon during the American "police action" there. Both tunes by the same players i imagine. Warning - absolutely no fuzz on this - feel free to move right along....
    The instrument is đàn tranh (or koto if these cuts originate in Japan).

Fuka Vicente - Tempura Soul:

and Tali Bong - Kota Mata
    Forget the fuzz! Border-Line-Thai-Disco floats my boat any day!

Thanks for all the leads guys, my day off today so will happily spend it sifting through everything.

Leave a comment:

• Mr SJ Herd
    replied
    Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
    If you want 'Big Fuzz' look out for their previous LP '2'.
    Checked them out on Discogs & seen that they go for around the £20 mark sometimes. Definitely keeping a look out from now on.

Leave a comment:

• jakartajive
    replied
    You just after Thai stuff? Or any Asian stuff? Or what?
    There's tons and tons of stuff, natch.

To give but one example . . . here's a piece of Singaporean insanity that should shake the cobwebs away.

Leave a comment:

• stylesforfree
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr SJ Herd View Post
    Out & about in Edinburgh on Saturday & stumbled on a mysterious reissue of something called 'Kao Mai Rak Rao Rhok' by Sroeng Santi. Since found out that it's a limited 500 release by "Paradise Bangkok" duo Maft Sai and Chris Menist. This video plays just over a minute of each side, my focus being on the opening track.

This is pretty much the heaviest Far East thing I've heard to date & I was wondering if any of you wonderful people would have similar suggestions?
    www.zudrangmarecords.com

Plenty of records here with soundclips, love that luk thug sound.

Leave a comment:

• Cochise
    replied
    How about Vietnam (or maybe Japan)? I only know that this was released on a dodgy comp called GI Funk - tunes supposedly played by club bands around Saigon during the American "police action" there. Both tunes by the same players i imagine. Warning - absolutely no fuzz on this - feel free to move right along....
    The instrument is đàn tranh (or koto if these cuts originate in Japan).

Fuka Vicente - Tempura Soul:

and Tali Bong - Kota Mata

Leave a comment:

• mr sayers
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr SJ Herd View Post
    BIG FUZZ
    If you want 'Big Fuzz' look out for their previous LP '2'.

Leave a comment:

• Mr SJ Herd
    replied
    Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
    San Ul Lim?

BIG FUZZ

Leave a comment:

Working...
X