In Praise of Jazz Praises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Praise of Jazz Praises

Following from the ipad thread I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to Michael Garrick's Jazz Praises
    I would love to get a copy of this on vinyl and was kicking myself the other day that I didn't have enough money to bag a copy that went for slightly under £100 on ebay - cheap for this record but still too rich for my blood!
    Anyway having listened to it many times via the auspices of Apple I have fallen for its charms
    I should start by saying that the recording quality is not great - perhaps a remixed audiophile version could be Senor Trunks next project. Recorded in St Pauls off a single mike the rhythm section struggles to emerge at all, especially poor Colerdige Goode who, even when he get to solo is just too soft for my ears. Conversely the horns leap out at you in an amazing way - I am, as ever, struck by Ian Carr's playing.
    Im sure that the opportunity to play the church organ in St Paul's was just too great a temptation for Garrick but even he can't make it swing. The choir on the other hand are terrific.
    My favourite tracks are Behold a Pale Horse- which seems to have a bit of everything that makes this album so intriguing, Rustats Gravesong (who was Rustat and why did he have a song about his grave?) and the completely wigged out Agnus Dei. I also like Salvation March but the version on Jazz and Poetry with Harriott and Keane is just much better
    Over to you..... what do you think?
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Tobias Rustat

A benefactor of many causes, including St Pauls.
    SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
      Tobias Rustat

A benefactor of many causes, including St Pauls.
      Well,
      You learn something new every day
      Thanks
      "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

My favourite line in his biography is - "in 1659 he was summoned from Bruges to Bordeaux to bring the King clean clothes".
        SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Working...
        X