Edge Warp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edge Warp

Anyone successfully cured a vinyl with slight edge warp on an LP?

I currently have it placed under a thick cardboard sleeve, with a box file and a guitar amp sitting on top, but after 2 days it hasnt made much difference.

I saw a fella with a hair dryer on some 45's once in a video and it looks like it worked. But the LP is Masabumi Kikuchi - Kochi/Wishes and im not really too keen to take a hair dryer to it.

Its not so bad that the needle jumps, it plays ok, but its one of those things that is irritating me and needs to be taken care of unless there is nothing I can do, I was thinking of purchasing a vinyl flat from the US, unless anyone knows of a place to get them in the UK.

Ive also read about putting it between 2 pieces of glass and leaving it in the sun, but alas, there is no sun, as this is Merseyside in the spring.

Oven or Groovy Pouch? Reckon I'd stump up for the pouch if I was going down the Vinyl Flat route.
    I've tried all sorts of quick fixes, all to no avail. Get good with the Vinyl Flat and you might have the makings of a sideline
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
      Oven or Groovy Pouch? Reckon I'd stump up for the pouch if I was going down the Vinyl Flat route.
      I've tried all sorts of quick fixes, all to no avail. Get good with the Vinyl Flat and you might have the makings of a sideline
      Ok cool, its not a massive issue, might just leave it under the boxfile and guitar amp for a month. Have you not tried the pouch? I wouldnt do it in the oven. I can live with it I guess. everything I own is either semi-broken, half-working or just plain wonky anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by stylesforfree View Post
        Anyone successfully cured a vinyl with slight edge warp on an LP?
        The distance that the stylus travels around the disc, once, is more if there is a warp than if it;s flat so I can;t underastand how you can put back the extra vinyl and destance that was created with the warp. How can you put back more into less? If so, there must be a compensation that surely can;t be good. Always thought that was quite puzzling.

Comment

Originally posted by stylesforfree View Post
          Ok cool, its not a massive issue, might just leave it under the boxfile and guitar amp for a month. Have you not tried the pouch? I wouldnt do it in the oven. I can live with it I guess. everything I own is either semi-broken, half-working or just plain wonky anyway.
          I don't have one myself, just a pile of broken and sometimes corrugated failures. What about those clamps you fix to the spindle on the turntable? Think they can help with warped records to an extent anyway

Comment

I don't have one myself, just a pile of broken and sometimes corrugated failures. What about those clamps you fix to the spindle on the turntable? Think they can help with warped records to an extent anyway
            I'll look into it, thanks, corrugated failures? From what method? did you run over it?

Comment

Kettle steam!

Comment

Kettle steam!
                Trouser press.

Or so I was informed by someone at the weekend.
                https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
                http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
                https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
                https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

I'm also in the Merseyside area and feel your pain as regards the sun. When we do get it I have had some success with the glass method but have put it in the greenhouse and it took a week. A quicker method I've used with some success particularly on small areas of edge warp is with hot (not boiling) water from the tap, pour over the relevant area and with your finger, while resting the vinyl on the work top, smooth out the warp, following the grooves. If you can practice first before trying it on rare/precious vinyl all the better. Good luck.

Comment

hhv provides professional service for that but at your own risk obciously. Cant seem to find a link but I can look through my mails should you need it.
                    All the Wolpertingers

Comment

If none of the quick fixes work try the slow approach - file it and come back to it in a few years time. A Voices Of East Harlem lp was cured of a general and rather severe warp after about 28 years filed away in the collection.

Comment

Oh thanks for the reponses I will try the hot water one. Might skip the trouser press :P

Comment

I once bought Johnny Legend's greatest hits, volume none from a midsummer festival. I put it in the car back window for everyone to see. Unfortunately the next day the sun shone quite warmly. When I got home I found the record rather badly warped, it skipped on the first couple of songs on each side. I figured there was nothing to lose so I put the record on the floor and stacked four car tyres on top of it with a flat sheet of grinded wood under them to even out the weight. After a week or so the record was still warped but not quite as badly as before, so I put it back under the tyres for a few more weeks. It has played perfectly since then. But don't hold me responsible if this doesn't work! By the way the album seems to be a collector's item these days. Soakin' the bone
                          Find yourself a rainbow, a song a day and you won't grow old.

Comment

Working...
                          X