Hey, that's my record!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, that's my record!

My girlfriend was dj-ing on Saturday and she played Mo-Dettes take on Paint it Black. A lady came running over from the bar saying "I can't believe you're playing this, I was the drummer!". Had a less spectacular incident playing Sharon Tandy's version of Hold On when someone came up and asked if it were Sharon Tandy - the person who approached me said she lives in Bethnal Green and would be amazed to hear her tune in a bar. The man who approached was a friend of hers and had only heard the record at her place.
    Anyone else?

Once in Christiania an elderly Polish man rushed up to me and screamed "why are you playing Niemen?" in a most aggressive manner. When I stuttered out "because I like Niemen" his face lit up and he answered "I LOVE Niemen" and he gave me a hug. That's the closest thing....
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

I tried to score a copy of McGough & McGear off Roger McGough a year or so ago, when I met him at Barnes fair.

More a case of 'Hey that's your record' though really...

He said he only had one. And seemed to be aware of its appeal. Very lovely chap though.
      Back and to the left... back and to the left... back and to the left

Comment

I had a big birthday party at home once and there was a big Pinata hanging up. When the time came for everyone to bash the thing I hurriedly scrabbled around to find some suitable accompanying music amidst my mass of randomly piled records and the one that cropped up that seemed to fit best was a Trio 'Los Paraguayos' album. As soon as it went on a girl came up and asked if the music was Trio 'Los Paraguayos' as her uncle was one of the original line-up (in Paraguay).
        Boy George knew my father

Comment

Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
          Anyone else?
          Here's one I prepared earlier...

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...ight=bedazzled

Comment

Nice story which I evidently missed the first time around.

Comment

Originally posted by jahshabby View Post
              I tried to score a copy of McGough & McGear off Roger McGough a year or so ago, when I met him at Barnes fair.

More a case of 'Hey that's your record' though really...

He said he only had one. And seemed to be aware of its appeal. Very lovely chap though.
              Someone I've always admired - specially some of his ditty's on said LP

Comment

Was at a work related conference and the speaker leading it turned out to be the guitarist and songwriter of a NWOBHM band whose single I had finally tracked down a week before. He was surprised to say the least to be asked about a band he was in in 1981 (this was last year). Met him a couple of times since at other events.

Comment

Originally posted by RobLilley View Post
                  Someone I've always admired - specially some of his ditty's on said LP
                  My dad knows him a bit, so I got an introduction. A very nice and charming man with a lovely manner. And a voice I'd never tire of listening to.
                  Back and to the left... back and to the left... back and to the left

Comment

In his absence, I'll mention some 30 years ago John Stapleton was playing out and stuck on Ella Fitzgerald's version of Sunshine Of My Love. An old bald guy came hurrying over : " I wrote this song, but I've never heard this version before" - said a very chuffed Pete Brown.

...which is nice...
                    "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Comment

The closest I have is this...

The bass player from Shubidua ('Rund Funk') is a dentist at the Danish dentist school. I've been there a few times and have thought about bringing the 12" in and asking him to sign it but can't bring myself to do it.

Comment

About 6 months ago, I was doing my regular thursday residency where they do a v popular hip hop karaoke (it's a lot better than it sounds). However, it was deathly quiet in the upstairs bar at this point so I just thought I'd play Fela Kuti's Shakara off the bootleg classics 12" (despite the fact that it's probably the hardest tune to eq right in any club and I can't afford an orig).

Some guy shot into the bar and shouts "that's my uncle! why are you playing my uncle's song?!?". V nice guy and he had the stories to back it up..
                        Light surface marks, sleeve is torn near centre of opening (due to rough removal of disk by a moron)

Comment

It's interesting that a lot of the reactions are along the lines of 'why are you playing this?', indicating that many people still don't know what records are for.
                          SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

I´m interested in how restrained the reactions are.
                            If I´d made a record and someone played it I´d dance like a lunatic, waving people up with my hands and glaring at those who remain seated until the dancefloor was a heaving mass of sweaty thrashing limbs. Then at the end I´d jump on a table and go "That´s my recooooooord!" and they´d carry me around on their shoulders as the DJ was forced to play a dozen rewinds.
                            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I was playing one night at a concert between bands and I played the song below. One guy came running and asked me where did I get the song from. When I showed him the Lp he told me that he was the guitar player of that band and that he didn't know the song had made it into vinyl or any other format...

¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

Working...
                              X