Industrial Blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Industrial Blues

Bought the Tom Waits single Goin Out West yesterday, one of his tunes that I've always loved. I also bought Andre Williams album Silky the other day and was totally blown away by the track Bring Me Back My Car Unstripped. Both of these have this kind of angry, clanking industrial feel but are in the blues lineage. To me they're miles more interesting than the kind of deferent homages that you get from, I dunno, White Stripes or Gun Club etc (I'm sure many won't agree with that) because they don't seem nearly so backwards looking.
    What else is in this Beefhearty-industrial blues strain?

Foetus?

"Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Good call, got a few of his albums.

Comment

Cop Shoot Cop?

"Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
        and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Yeah mate, you want the Birthday Party.
          Check the early 4AD stuff. the first two LP's are fabbo.
          Twisted Blues, warped funk with a nice line in Punk atitchood.

Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

Alan Lomax's film The Land Where The Blues Began is good for this. Check out the improvised instruments from 2.20 on here going into the incredible session from 3.30 on. That's the spare, brutal origin of this sound.

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

More brutal, beautiful art. Check 5.30 on.

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

This probably isn't what you're looking for, but these cats were the first thing I thought of on seeing the thread title . . .

Saw this lot the other week.
                They also sprang to mind.

To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

This is the first thing that came to mind for me:

Pretty obviously not blues but it's from a nominally industrial band referencing earlier music. I love this. I like it because it's a pop spin on industrial stuff, which is often so dark and heavy. I normally think of industrial as a bit of a ground zero in musical terms as well, not something that explores and expresses pop's past.
                  "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

How about this? This is nice and filthy and has a heavy blues sound, to my ears anyway:

"As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Comment

Rouge Plant Blues

The Rouge Plant was a Ford factory in Dearborn, Michigan - an industrial suburb of Detroit. This 45 is from 1974.

"What's my stance? You know, I like to dance. And smash things up when I get a chance." - Chain and The Gang

Comment

Excellent thread. I'm seriously diggin' the Gandy Dancers Eine's posted. And Blue Collar is such an amazing film and an important cultural touchpoint in my youth. If you haven't seen it - you're in for an evening of powerful filmmaking.
                          Kickin' ass for the workin' class!
                          "What's my stance? You know, I like to dance. And smash things up when I get a chance." - Chain and The Gang

Comment

Pussy Galore, this is probably my favourite 'Right Now!'

Comment

Was just bought this album for my birthday.... sort of fits the bill I think - love this track anyway:

Here's an earlier Lynch track and video.... the beat is very Pink Room - 'Fire walk with me', but definitely blues - good video too:

"Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X