Gore /recommendations please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gore /recommendations please

I am by far not an expert on Metal but I took a chance on the Henry Rollins / Gore Split Album and I found myself addicted to this kind of sound (the Gore side, Mr Rollins not so much). I guess what I am looking for is a lo-fi metal sound with not so much of the usual skull and black leather kitsch to get in the way.

All the Wolpertingers

https://exposeventy.bandcamp.com/alb...ull-of-candles

Side A of the above may well work

Comment

Not quite what I was looking for. Too much 70s psych. It's good though. Gore is a Dutch Noise Metal band from the 80s apparently so any pointers in that direction would be much appreciated.

Where`s your avatar from by the way?
      All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Gore were fantastic. The drummer also played in Caspar Brotzmann's Massaker, well worth checking out.
        Also Blind Idiot God, and God (UK band), and then depending on how far you want to go into math rock you have bands like Don Caballero.
        There are loads more bands like this heading off on different tangents.
        These were the records I bought new, unlike nowadays where almost everything I buy is secondhand.
        Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Early Don Caballero is definitely in there. I guess Shellac and the Melvins too.

DO you have recommendations for God or Blind Idiot God?
          All the Wolpertingers

Comment

The Melvins! Yes, Ozma is essential. The first Drunks With Guns LP is another good one. Also Brainbombs and the Unsane (until too many original members were gone), again first LP is usually best. Bomb - Hits Of Acid is another family favourite.

God - only the Breach Birth EP came out on vinyl AFAIR, its on Situation 2 and leans in the direction of the Buttholes.Well worth finding and probably a cheapo these days. Anything else I have is on CD, I think, and I can't get to my CDs at the moment.

Blind Idiot God made 3 albums AFAIR. I preferred Undertow (Enemy Records) to the first one on SST. I can't remember the third which was CD only. Again, these are all probably dirt cheap these days.

Many noise rock bands got sucked into free improv and a lot of very bad records ensued.

Comment

Hey thanks! Top stufff that should keep me busy for a while. Will give some more reviews once I got the goods.
              All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Yeah - Brainbombs is heavily recommended if you can accept dodgy lyrics, almost exclusive about serial killers so there's lots of rape, torture and murder of men, women and children...

Check out this fantastic piece from the only time they appeared on TV (be sure to out Captions on so you get subtitles):

Also, check out early Jesus Lizard:

"Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Well, I wouldn't look too closely at anything that involves members of Brainbombs speaking on camera - its bound to be idiotic! The usual fascination with serial killers and general mayhem, contempt for fans, etc, etc, nothing that hasn't been done before, a la Whitehouse. But the records are good. The first two are sorta interchangeable. I'd say Burning Hell edges it over Genius & Brutality. Their third Obey is their best. Diminishing returns after that, I think, though the singles are cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Milesago View Post
                    Well, I wouldn't look too closely at anything that involves members of Brainbombs speaking on camera - its bound to be idiotic! The usual fascination with serial killers and general mayhem, contempt for fans, etc, etc, nothing that hasn't been done before, a la Whitehouse. But the records are good. The first two are sorta interchangeable. I'd say Burning Hell edges it over Genius & Brutality. Their third Obey is their best. Diminishing returns after that, I think, though the singles are cool.
                    Actually in an interview they claim they wanted to do Whitehouse-type "music" but with a rockband setting instead of electronics... or something like that. The TV piece is pretty fun though - they come across more as confused oddballs than anything else...
                    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Working...
                    X