Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kurt Cobain/Nirvana - school me

I see that its 20 years since Kurt Cobain committed suicide

At the time Nirvana made zero impression on me, other than Smells Like Teen Spirit which seemed to be everywhere
    I was too into dance music at the time and couldn't be bothered with people making loud guitar music

So, I was wondering if people here can recommend some good Nirvana stuff that I've missed - always assuming that the band were more than the myth!
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

I too was too busy with dance music and hip hop to listen to Nirvana. However, all my Uni mates were heavily into them. I once turned down a trip over to Bradford to go see Helmet on a Sub Pop tour, supported by Nirvana. "never 'eard of them mate" ... we've all got one of those stories...

My favourite is this little gem - found on a split 45 with Jesus Lizard. They covered each other's songs.

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

In Utero is the best album IMO, it keeps the hooks but has more punk rock and noise about it.
      Nirvana were my favorite band ever when i was 14 - 18. then untill recently i didnt really listen to them

theres a recent (2013) Mix of in utero that was done by Steve Albini thats worth checking out. (even came out on double vinyl on the black friday record store day)

its worth listening to Bleach as well. though this all depends on how much you like distorted guitars and moaning.
      instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Oh the guilt is ace yeah. infact most of the B Sides were more punky than the singles, Curmudgeon, even in his youth, aneurysm, i hate myself and want to die and sappy. all worth a go.
        instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

There is a very VG+ friendly cover version of Love Buzz from Shocking Blue thats available on later presses of Bleach and on their very very pricey debut single I think.
          All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
            Oh the guilt is ace yeah.
            I like the opening minute - reminds me of Big Black/Shellac - stop/start/feedback. Ace.

Did Cobain openly talk about Albini as an influence..? I guess that's why he produced In Utero..?
            If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture View Post
              I like the opening minute - reminds me of Big Black/Shellac - stop/start/feedback. Ace.

Did Cobain openly talk about Albini as an influence..? I guess that's why he produced In Utero..?
              I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the Pastels were an influence - can that possibly be right?
              "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Could never be bothered with Nirvana - too heavy for me and everyone else loved them in teenage indie Cheltenham so I stuck it to the Nirvana man.

Whenever I heard this though, it would stun me, and it still does!

Choking on the ashes of her memory - yo!
                Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
                  I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the Pastels were an influence - can that possibly be right?
                  pastels and the vaselines, certainly covered the latter live. and didn't cobain name his daughter after Frances McKee from the vaselines?

Comment

As said earlier, the b-sides tend to be good. My favourite was always Even in His Youth. Many years ago I got the bus into Irvine to go to Our Price to spend my Christmas money and picked up the Incesticide album which has a fair few b-sides on it, Son of a Gun is a good one from it. Also picked up March to Fuzz by Mudhoney and spent the next 5 years down a rabbit hole of Black Flag, the Dicks, Void and USHC. Good times.

Comment

I was heavily into all that Sub-Pop stuff at the time - saw Mudhoney in Berlin in '88 and was blown away. Strangely perhaps, on hearing Bleach i thought 'yeah, OK' but didn't rate them any higher than Tad or Beat Happening or the Walkabouts (different buzz, but also Seattle based) and a bit below the 'Honey - they played Dublin end of '91 (?) supporting Sonic Youth and suddenly loads of people were raving about them; and when Teen Spirit came out, floodgates opened and I had a probably snobbish reaction to my private property being taken from me. Rather the reverse to Expiry, none of that stuff means much to me now, whereas a lot of dance music I missed is coming back into focus.
                      Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

Comment

instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture View Post
                          I too was too busy with dance music
                          Same here - to the point that when they played the Carlton Studios in Edinburgh - I sold my ticket to a flat mate so I didn't miss "Have I got news for you" and "Red Dwarf"... November 1991...

I didn't even see them at the Southern Bar in Edinburgh when they were doing a secret gig as support to a local band... bar looked a bit busy so carried on to the Sunday dance event instead...

Do like William S. Burroughs / Kurt Cobain ?– The "Priest" They Called Him - 10"

Last edited by MPFlapp; 05-04-2014, 08:21 AM.
                          "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
                            So, I was wondering if people here can recommend some good Nirvana stuff that I've missed - always assuming that the band were more than the myth!
                            I'd say just go listen to Nevermind. It's a fantastic album, the fact it was massively popular is irrelevant. If you can't ride with it, then I can't see that it's really worth digging into the rest of their output...

Comment

Originally posted by MPFlapp View Post
                              Same here - to the point that when they played the Carlton Studios in Edinburgh - I sold my ticket to a flat mate so I didn't miss "Have I got news for you" and "Red Dwarf"... November 1991...

I didn't even see them at the Southern Bar in Edinburgh when they were doing a secret gig as support to a local band... bar looked a bit busy so carried on to the Sunday dance event instead... [/IMG]
                              Haha! I was at both of those gigs John! Small world etc. Also saw them support Sonic Youth - Barrowlands I think? They were great on each occasion but Mudhoney were far more appealing to me at the time. They knew how to make a racket on stage!! I used to get sent all sorts of promos at this time and I'm certain a few Nirvana ones went out in the big cull of all the chud I got sent (plus some Oasis white labels which seem to command a price these days) oh well whatever, nevermind.

I like 'Sliver', ' About a Girl', 'terratorial pissings', the cover of 'Molly's Lips' and lots of others. There's only really three proper lps, one contemporary 'mopping up' comp and the unplugged LP (which is excellent) so it's pretty easy to listen to the back catalogue in a oner if you so desire. Bet its all on spotify too.
                              "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Working...
                              X