Bert Jansch Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bert Jansch Recommendations

Watched a couple of excellent Bert Jansch tributes and concerts over the last few days.

I don't own any of his records.

Which ones do I need?

Thanks

the Moonshine Lp has this on it.

instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Wow! In a way I envy you for the beautiful sounds that await you. I always go back to the first three lps, The blue s/t debut, It don't bother me, and the pick of the bunch IMO, Jack Orion.
      All three came out in little over a year. Jack Orion still sounds fresh and crisp to my ears, I've got the first press, and he may as well be in the room, just stunning.

Both plundered by Mr Page as we all know!
      You can't go wrong with Jack Orion
      Everyone tear down your own little wall
      That keeps you from being a part of it all
      Because you've got to be one with the one and all
      You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

everything up to the mid 70's is superb ... and even after that there are some real gems ... get his debut and work your way up ....
        Rockwell
        Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Agreed. Jack Orion is essential.
          Also LA Turnaround is a very nice record.
          All the sounds around you seem to have a new meaning.

Comment

His first LP, as stated above, is incredible and I'm sure you'll like it
            I have a soft spot for Nicola - it does have some tracks with strings which might not be to everyone's taste although I quite like them. But it also has some lovely acoustic tracks too
            Slightly over looed in my view
            "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Birthday Blues is my fave. It has the bulk of Pentangle backing him up and Duffy Power on harmonica. Gets his folky groove on at times.

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Nicola's my favourite, I like the string ones too (you can't diss Life Depends On Love)
                MUSHRUMPS Daily party-prog MP3 blog

Comment

cosign the above - but my favourite is Rosemary Lane, just a beautiful LP

Comment

There's some artists i feel you just can't rush and "gorge" on. I feel envious of people experiencing this music as it came out, looking forward to each new album, maybe one a year (or in this case three in a year!), appreciating the subtle progressions from record to record.

I remember one time picking up the first five Roxy Music albums in one go and it just being too much to take in. Starting with the first, then playing the next one, then the next one... Sometimes it's good to just get one album, listen to it over six months, then move onto the next. As can probably be gathered from the above posts, everyone rates different albums, surely a mark of true quality in any artist. Usually everyone clammers over the same two or three releases. I only really bothered with the Transatlantic albums, for some unknown reason discounting the Charisma releases (because i already had so much Bert?) but the Charisma ones are great too.

Start at the start and slowly pick them all up, many months and years of enjoyment lie ahead...

PS I've never picked up any 45s, don't suppose there's any cheeky 45 flip groovers, are there a la Pentangle?!
                    Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Guys thanks for the recommendations.

Think I'm ging to take Mr Divine's advice as start at the beginning and savour each one.

Unless of course I find his entire back catalogue cheap in Utrecht!!

Comment

Originally posted by llmod1 View Post
                        Unless of course I find his entire back catalogue cheap in Utrecht!!
                        I found a Jack Orion for MPFlapp a couple of years back. You don't see his albums that often, they usually turn up utterly hammered. And, due to the delicate nature of the music, you really want them to be in nice nick...

There was an album from just a few years back which i really liked, was it Black Swan? Still plenty of gaps in my collection which i'm looking forward to (slowly) filling in!
                        Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Black Swan is ace Andrew and I picked this up a while back - really great album - http://www.allmusic.com/album/thirte...n-mw0000042020
                          Rockwell
                          Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Going sideways a little bit here, but seeing as a few people seem to like that early stuff, this may be of interest. Filmed by a Danish crew in 67, features the seeds really of Pentangle rehearsing, some John Renbourn, the unsung Marc Sullivan and Carthy/Swarbrick. Notable by his absence of course, is the ever illusive Davy Graham....that's a whole other story in itself of course.
                            Everyone tear down your own little wall
                            That keeps you from being a part of it all
                            Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                            You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

I only own 3 of his 60's LP's but Nicola is the one I've returned to the most. I really like the strings on that one as well.
                              "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Working...
                              X