Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• treeboy
    replied
    Post #13 for Thirteen Down. I'm not that up on the post mid 70s stuff, although I too picked up Black Swan. It certainly is a deep seam to mine, and I think it's worth taking time to absorb.
    One of the best times I saw him live, was at an early 80s Pentangle (minus Terry Cox) reunion at Cambridge Folk Festival in a small packed tent. What a great band. That's going to the grave with me.

Leave a comment:

• jb stanislas
    replied
    Originally posted by The Divine One View Post
    Err, Sie-Fly was singing Thirteen Down's praises earlier along with other recent-ish albums like Black Swan. I think the general concensus was "just get them all". But maybe not in a one-r...
    I didn;t see and can;t see his mention of Thirteen Down, from 1980, so decided to mention it myself, specifically.

Leave a comment:

• The Divine One
    replied
    Originally posted by jb stanislas View Post
    I didn;t read anyone posting about any of his "latter" lp's. Why??? Do people not know them or is it some type of latter-lp-snobbery like goes on with prog lp;s? Either way, Thirteen Down is fantastc!!
    Err, Sie-Fly was singing Thirteen Down's praises earlier along with other recent-ish albums like Black Swan. I think the general concensus was "just get them all". But maybe not in a one-r...

Leave a comment:

• jb stanislas
    replied
    Originally posted by llmod1 View Post
    Watched a couple of excellent Bert Jansch tributes and concerts over the last few days.

I don't own any of his records.

Which ones do I need?

Thanks
    I didn;t read anyone posting about any of his "latter" lp's. Why??? Do people not know them or is it some type of latter-lp-snobbery like goes on with prog lp;s? Either way, Thirteen Down is fantastc!! Well developed songs and beautiful - all of them but the best lp he ever recorded is surely A Rare Conundrum. Superb throughout.
    The track "Doctor Doctor" is nothing if not sublime. It always gives me goosebumps esp. when I follow the lyrics. Bert meets a beautiful lady who "takes him in" to her space. But then after a sexual encounter he finds that 'twas but a dream and now in the psychiatrists consulting room he tells the doctor he has no money to pay him because she took that from him.
    What a great melancholic track and storyteller and who fuckin' writes lyrics like that anymore?
    "She is the stream and I am the fish to guide her. She is the golden corn in the sun and I am the field-mouse and in her I run".

Observe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PELKKnBaMxU

Haron

Leave a comment:

• Hayes
    replied
    Does anyone if there's any difference with the pressing quality between the Transatlantic and Reprise issues of Rosamary Lane? The US press seems to be significantly cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• IAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Campag Record View Post
    I only own 3 of his 60's LP's but Nicola is the one I've returned to the most. I really like the strings on that one as well.
    Nicola is my fave too, it's one of those select albums nowadays that I still listen to all the way through. Really beautiful orchestrations, the strings, flutes...really great songs as well.

Leave a comment:

• Campag Record
    replied
    I only own 3 of his 60's LP's but Nicola is the one I've returned to the most. I really like the strings on that one as well.

Leave a comment:

• treeboy
    replied
    Going sideways a little bit here, but seeing as a few people seem to like that early stuff, this may be of interest. Filmed by a Danish crew in 67, features the seeds really of Pentangle rehearsing, some John Renbourn, the unsung Marc Sullivan and Carthy/Swarbrick. Notable by his absence of course, is the ever illusive Davy Graham....that's a whole other story in itself of course.

Leave a comment:

• Sie-Fly
    replied
    Black Swan is ace Andrew and I picked this up a while back - really great album - http://www.allmusic.com/album/thirte...n-mw0000042020

Leave a comment:

• The Divine One
    replied
    Originally posted by llmod1 View Post
    Unless of course I find his entire back catalogue cheap in Utrecht!!
    I found a Jack Orion for MPFlapp a couple of years back. You don't see his albums that often, they usually turn up utterly hammered. And, due to the delicate nature of the music, you really want them to be in nice nick...

There was an album from just a few years back which i really liked, was it Black Swan? Still plenty of gaps in my collection which i'm looking forward to (slowly) filling in!

Leave a comment:

• llmod1
    replied
    Guys thanks for the recommendations.

Think I'm ging to take Mr Divine's advice as start at the beginning and savour each one.

Unless of course I find his entire back catalogue cheap in Utrecht!!

Leave a comment:

• The Divine One
    replied
    There's some artists i feel you just can't rush and "gorge" on. I feel envious of people experiencing this music as it came out, looking forward to each new album, maybe one a year (or in this case three in a year!), appreciating the subtle progressions from record to record.

I remember one time picking up the first five Roxy Music albums in one go and it just being too much to take in. Starting with the first, then playing the next one, then the next one... Sometimes it's good to just get one album, listen to it over six months, then move onto the next. As can probably be gathered from the above posts, everyone rates different albums, surely a mark of true quality in any artist. Usually everyone clammers over the same two or three releases. I only really bothered with the Transatlantic albums, for some unknown reason discounting the Charisma releases (because i already had so much Bert?) but the Charisma ones are great too.

Start at the start and slowly pick them all up, many months and years of enjoyment lie ahead...

PS I've never picked up any 45s, don't suppose there's any cheeky 45 flip groovers, are there a la Pentangle?!

Leave a comment:

• Tom B
    replied
    cosign the above - but my favourite is Rosemary Lane, just a beautiful LP

Leave a comment:

• ashra
    replied
    Nicola's my favourite, I like the string ones too (you can't diss Life Depends On Love)

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    Birthday Blues is my fave. It has the bulk of Pentangle backing him up and Duffy Power on harmonica. Gets his folky groove on at times.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X