Moondog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moondog

does anybody know something about the selftitled lp from that strange guy called moondog (louis hardin)? i had a look on his selftitled lp today and immediately fell in love with that record. unfortunately i couldn't listen to the vinyl and the dealer wanted a lot of my hard earned money for it, so i didn't take it. but if you tell me that this is just THE lp to have then please do it soon...still thinking of it....:-)
    Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

is this the one that scruff *sampled* for 'get a move on'?
    Last edited by sermad; 02-03-2005, 11:42 PM.
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

think so. if i remember right, scruff had his hands on "bird's lament" and that one is on this lp. but it didn't help me, because i don't really remember the sample...:-)

Comment

which self-titled LP? there's at least 3. i'm presuming it's the late 60s one on Columbia Masterworks. definitely worth getting for 20 quid or so - quirky classical-ish rhythmic niceness. Mr Scruff looped up one of the tracks for 'Get a Move On'

edit - too slow! anyway, very nice LP. Moondog 2 is not so good IMO but not heard it for ages

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia
          which self-titled LP? there's at least 3. i'm presuming it's the late 60s one on Columbia Masterworks. definitely worth getting for 20 quid or so - quirky classical-ish rhythmic niceness. Mr Scruff looped up one of the tracks for 'Get a Move On'
          yep. it's on columbia...the guy told me something about some jazzy stuff on it too. right? or is he just talking (once more...)?

Comment

If it has a huge picture of Moondog on the front, looking off to the side of the LP, then yes. Scruff did, apparently, clear the samples, but I feel that he could still have mentioned that on the LP. Or at the least, given him a writing credit on the track. Just my personal opinion, and not really a major dig. It's just, you know, blind man!!

Have you had a check on ebay for a copy? I got mine off there a few years ago for around £20, but I have no idea what they are going for now.

Have they re-issued\bootlegged it? 'Cos there are a couple of copies on there now that look a little too well preserved:

This one or this one. The Buy It Now is another clue.

However, if it's this one you're after, then good luck!
            Don't call it a comeback... H, N, and the number 7.
            Ok, it's a bit of a comeback, I suppose...

Comment

yes moondog 1 is the one you want, scruff sample blah blah blah. really really bonkers. Its the one with him in profile on the cover with a crazy red skullcap hat thing and a silver sheet wound up round his neck. top stuff

sorry needless repetition there, didn't read whole thread
              Last edited by francis; 02-03-2005, 11:29 PM.

Comment

aye big merlin beard and skullcap. £15-£20 sovs?

Comment

Recollection is that Moondog LP (with Bird's Lament) on it is most notable because Moondog doesn't actually play on it, it's a sort of covers LP under his name. Mind you, could be wrong.....

You can get a grey label Columbia press of it for under a tenner.... well worth it to frighten and confuse civilians when you spin it. Who straight away get the point....

[Edit - the sleeve always looked like 'Ming The Merciless - The Golden Years' Lp that obviously doesn't exist.]

[Edit 2 - jeepers look at the timings in this thread. Are we hot or what ?]
                  Last edited by Matt Hero; 02-03-2005, 11:38 PM.
                  Matt Hero

Comment

there's a 12" of Moondog remixed out now, and one of the three tracks is the Mr Scruff "Get a Move On", but credited as a remix.

there was a nice limited 10" put out by Honest Jon's at the end of last year of earlier, much much rarer stuff.

Moondog 2 on Columbia is rarer, but don't think it's as good. choral, if i remember. Kenny Graham and his Satellites 'Moondog Suite' is meant to be good too, but pricey

Comment

Originally posted by manzo
                      If it has a huge picture of Moondog on the front, looking off to the side of the LP, then yes. Scruff did, apparently, clear the samples, but I feel that he could still have mentioned that on the LP. Or at the least, given him a writing credit on the track. Just my personal opinion, and not really a major dig. It's just, you know, blind man!!

Have you had a check on ebay for a copy? I got mine off there a few years ago for around £20, but I have no idea what they are going for now.

Have they re-issued\bootlegged it? 'Cos there are a couple of copies on there now that look a little too well preserved:

This one or this one. The Buy It Now is another clue.

However, if it's this one you're after, then good luck!

i've seen mine in zurich today. he wanted 75.- sfr for it, its about 30(?) pounds. enough i think...but in switzerland the prices are always higher than anywhere else!! the recorddealers are living a live as kings here...

Comment

Originally posted by sermad
                        is this the one that scruff raped ?
                        I'm really not happy with the use of this term - I know it's a minor point, but 'raped' is quite a serious thing, not really to be taken lightly... sorry, rant over. top LP anyway, never heard his Prestige albums from the late 50's/early 60s though, any ideas?
                        We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by effi_deep
                          recorddealers are living a live as kings here...
                          Yeah ive been in 16 tonnes.

Sorry to cause offense john. Sometimes these phrases creep into vernacular speech and I type without thinking most of the time.
                          Last edited by sermad; 02-03-2005, 11:44 PM.

Comment

i could maybe bring the price down to 60 sfr. hmmm, then i have to buy some other stuff from that old miser! i'll see tomorrow....thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by manzo
                              Definately has been, I've seen new copies for sale in shops.

Might have brought the price down a little, I got mine last year for under £20.
                              http://www.facebook.com/weekendsun
                              http://soundcloud.com/weekend-sun
                              http://www.myspace.com/weekendsun

Comment

Working...
                              X