Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brillo Blurb - speedy feedback required!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brillo Blurb - speedy feedback required!

Gents

I've put together a press release for the Strongrooms that they are going to send off to various listing agencies. They asked for a detailed piece, which I've attached below and a shorter snappier piece which I'm writing today.

I would really appreciate people casting their eye over what I've written. I've not done one of these before so I've no idea if what I've written will be of interest or be what they want.

I would also like people to check whether what I've written is factually accurate, I think it is but having that confirmed would be great.

I'd also like to add some names to those first few meetings. If you were there let me know either via this post or through a pm.

I really need to send this off today if possible so some speedy feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

BRILLO (FRESH) 2014
    Eclectic Music You Can't Shazam!

Blues Rock Instrumental Lounge Library OST Funk Rap Exotica Soul Hip Hop

Back in 2003 Brillo was created by a small group of like minded record collectors and music enthusiasts.

The original members met via an American online chat community called Soulstrut. The London based members of the board (all four of us!) decided it might actually be nice to put some faces to the names of the people that they had previously only ever shared information and enthusiasm for each others musical tastes with online.

And so it was that one evening, armed with a handful full of records each, the four: Mark O'Dwyer, Greg Belson (Divine Chord Gospel Show), Simon Fane (Sie Cheeba) and Rob Life met in a pub, in Soho, next door to what had been The Wag. Despite the low turn out the evening was a success and the seed for something that is still going today was sown. It was decided that this would become a monthly event where we would play to each other the obscure records we had found that month scouring through record shops, markets, charity shops and boot sales.

It was around this time that I became aware of the Vinyl Vulture (as it was then known) message board. This was basically a predominantly UK based version of Soulstrut where the focus was on uncovering under-appreciated gems that had been buried and forgotten over time. The Vinyl Vulture board (and then VG+ as it later became known) became the spiritual home of Brillo. Once the Vinyl Vulture community became involved numbers at the events began to grow and word began to spread.

The following month the group met again although a new venue had to be found due to a certain Mr Belson arriving in jogging bottoms and not being allowed in. With that we moved to The Glasshouse Stores on Brewer Street. This time we came armed with portable record players (Soundburgers and Columbia GP3's) so that we could share with each other some of the records we had found that month. We also grew in numbers with Sermad Buni (Library Record Supremo) and Ed Griffiths (blaxploitation.com) joining us. There may have been a few others at this second meet who I have forgotten, shout up if that's the case!

We met for a few months at the Glasshouse Stores before it was actually decided that a) we needed a bigger venue and b) it might be nice to actually play these records over a sound system where we could all hear them rather than only the person who happened to have the headphones from the portable turntable on!

It so happened that a friend, Mr Paul Hallam, had a bar in Old Street, with a pair of turntables and was happy to host us on a mid-week evening. So it was that Smersh (as it was then called) became our first proper night of playing records over a sound system. For some of us, me included, this was our first time ever playing music in public, for others in the group this was one of their many monthly djing commitments.
    For one reason or another we had to eventually leave Smersh. Nick Cope,then a resident of London, now a resident of New York, had a connection with the Salmon and Compass in Angel and so it was that the group moved there. It was at this time that the name Brillo was decided upon narrowly defeating the other contender Lords of the London Underground!

Smersh had been a rather low key event mainly put on for us to play records we liked to like minded individuals. Rarely did we ever consider the members of the public that happened upon our gathering. The Salmon and Compass though was a different kettle of fish! This was a busy, lively bar with an educated musical crowd that were not only open to what we played but actually seemed to enjoy it.

On the back of our mid-weekly Brillo nights, Nick also began a Friday night session called Hot Funky and Sweaty where he put on some of the funk bands of the time and had the Brillo regulars djing on rotation alongside him at these events. It was also at The Salmon where the first Best of Brillo was held. This was a Friday night session where the focus was on the dance floor. With no work the next day people from outside of London were able to travel down, have a few drinks and enjoy the music that was on offer and in turn the community began to spread its wings beyond London.

How long exactly we were at The Salmon and Compass I can't recall, it must have been a year at least. What I do recall though is turning up one Thursday night, armed with a bag of tunes to play, to find the venue closed and the other dj's standing outside looking rather forlorn. It was then I got on the phone and called Mr Paul Hallam again to see if he had a solution. Coincidently he ran a pub just round the corner that had a back room, with a set of turntables that was free that night. Filthy McNasty's, as it was called, became our home for the next couple of years.

Eventually new owners came into Filthy's and it was time to find a new venue. Tom Watt, drummer with soon to be legendary Wolf People, stepped into the breach. A Best of Brillo was organised at The Bowery on New Oxford Street through friends of Tom. After an amazing night I managed to persuade the owners to give us a monthly slot for Brillo. Again, after approximately a year, ownership of the bar changed and we were on the lookout for our next home.

We were given a Monday night at Three Blind Mice in Old Street. This bar used to be known as Smersh! Brillo had come full circle. Another year passed, another new owner came in and another hunt for a venue began. This brings us to the present day and the Strongrooms. We are now four months into our new home and very happy we are too. Hopefully we are here for the long term!

Digging through the Internet I came across our original manifesto. It has gone through some minor tweaking but I like to believe that the vast majority of it still holds true!

London’s only/premier monthly bring’n’spin for collectors and connoisseurs of rare, obscure and undiscovered vinyl gems of funk, soundtrack, library, breaks and oddities. Newbies and names rub shoulders in a democratic, beer soaked affair where everyone is welcome to play their new discoveries, favourite tunes or tracks to swap. Don’t be put off by the heavyweight names in attendance - there’s something for everyone and egos get checked at the door. So whether you’re looking to trade, exchange valuable vinyl info or just want to enjoy a selection of music unparalleled in variety, rarity and sheer bloody quality, make the 2nd Monday night of the month Brillo Fresh!

Upcoming Brillo and Brillo Plus dates are as follows:

Brillo - A night where as many as 10 dj's share their finds from that months digging.

Thursday 27th March
    Thursday 29th May
    Thursday 31st July

Brillo Plus - A less free form event where four Brillo regulars spin longer sets of some of their favourite tunes.

Friday 25th April
    Friday 27th June

To me seems way too long even for a detailed piece. If you send something that's too long they will edit it down and you've no control over how they'll edit it and to me that's always a problem from the off.

Comment

Thanks Rich for your feedback.

I was told the long piece could be upto 2500 words. I wrote the above in my IPad which doesn't do a word count. Could someone cut and paste it into Word and check for me. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
        To me seems way too long even for a detailed piece. If you send something that's too long they will edit it down and you've no control over how they'll edit it and to me that's always a problem from the off.
        I agree with Rich. It´s perfectly well written, but it´s over 1,200 words. That´s about two or three pages of copy in most publications. As an editor my heart sinks when I get something like this that I´m forced to absolutely butcher. Editors don´t actually enjoy editing - it´s hard work for them, and it´s rarely appreciated by the client/submitter.

Get your editing in first to avoid disappointment!
        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Thanks Babycart for taking the time to reply. I'm in the process of writing a 250 word snappy synopsis that I'll also include.

Just to clarify, even though this is half the length of the maximum allowed, you still think this is too long? Thanks

Comment

You want that generic Thursday poster don't you? Weekend too late?
            "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Just given this a gander and to be harsh err I think about 90% of it is largely irrelevant contextual information. Surely the emphasis should be on what the night currently offers NOW (in terms of personalities and, critically, music) rather than a chronicle of its origins?

This bit:

"London’s only/premier monthly bring’n’spin for collectors and connoisseurs of rare, obscure and undiscovered vinyl gems of funk, soundtrack, library, breaks and oddities. Newbies and names rub shoulders in a democratic, beer soaked affair where everyone is welcome to play their new discoveries, favourite tunes or tracks to swap. Don’t be put off by the heavyweight names in attendance - there’s something for everyone and egos get checked at the door. So whether you’re looking to trade, exchange valuable vinyl info or just want to enjoy a selection of music unparalleled in variety, rarity and sheer bloody quality, make the 2nd Monday night of the month Brillo Fresh!"

Is great, but I'd condense Brillo's history into a few short lines, detail a few of the previous venues, then hype up its performance at the latest venue to make it a little more 'news' worthy and contemporary. I would also cynically namedrop a few of the more renowned members of the forum (Mr Trunk, Andy Votel, Ed, etc) rather than mention folk who are presently on the opposite side of the pond.

Comment

Ooo, one more thing I reckon would be good. Quotes. Press releases should contain at least few juicy quotes. Eg from you or one of the other event organisers.

Personally I would download another music related press release and use this as a format on which to base your own blurb - at least that way you have an initial structure and can probably gauge the length of it a bit more accurately ...

Comment

Originally posted by llmod1 View Post

Just to clarify, even though this is half the length of the maximum allowed, you still think this is too long? Thanks
                  To be honest, yes. This piece. for example, comes in at just under 450 words.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...ic-window-1994

Like I say, I don´t know what the listings agencies are after, but if that landed on my desk I´d be getting rid of the bits about venue problems right away, and the Vinyl vulture and Soulstrut stuff would probably end up on the cutting room floor, too

Another point - using the first person ("we" "our") might mean some brutal editing, too, unless the piece is going out as a first-person piece under your byline.

an example of what they´re after would be useful.
                  Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

can we find a sensible place to include "it's like last of the summer wine for record nerds" (c) Bill Brewster?

agree with the views expressed (vivachiba, babycart) re length/ focus/ use famous names/ labels. wouldn't get too hung up on dates/ length of service per venue, not sure even those of us who were there care about that much detail. def talk about how long it's been running, talk about mainly being based in/ around shoreditch, hesitate to use the word "institution"...

more to come when i can.

Comment

It's got the makings of a good release. Surely the story to pitch is

(1) Here's a long-running eclectic record night in London
                      (2) Which predates 'the vinyl revival', has a long, huge legacy with DJs that have gone all around the world.
                      (3) But it's a friendly scene which accepts new blood!
                      Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Agree with the others regarding the length. Some very informative history for us lot on here, but it needs to be concise and punchy because the agency won't be bothered to read all that. A bit like a CV I guess!
                        some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Very interesting - I never knew all that about Brillo.

I think the key is to write this pyramid-style so that the essence of what you want to say is in the first 80 words and add more colour further ion in the blurb.

I might get lynched for this but I'd suggest mixing up the order of genres here: Blues Rock Instrumental Lounge Library OST Funk Rap Exotica Soul Hip Hop. I suspect some people will read the words Blues Rock Instrumental and get no further

Comment

Fresh Brillo/Brillo Fresh

Originally posted by peretti View Post
                            I might get lynched for this but I'd suggest mixing up the order of genres here: Blues Rock Instrumental Lounge Library OST Funk Rap Exotica Soul Hip Hop. I suspect some people will read the words Blues Rock Instrumental and get no further
                            The original order was determined by the acronym, but this was the subject of some debate. I can't remember which I voted for at the time (and I can't be arsed to search) but the alternative would also be true to the pages of history, and may reduce the risk of snoozing...

Funk
                            Rap
                            Exotica
                            Soul
                            Hip Hop
                            Blues
                            Rock
                            Instrumental
                            Lounge
                            Library
                            OST
                            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
                              The original order was determined by the acronym, but this was the subject of some debate. I can't remember which I voted for at the time (and I can't be arsed to search) but the alternative would also be true to the pages of history, and may reduce the risk of snoozing...

Funk
                              Rap
                              Exotica
                              Soul
                              Hip Hop
                              Blues
                              Rock
                              Instrumental
                              Lounge
                              Library
                              OST

Comment