Poetry on vinyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poetry on vinyl

Ive never really got into poetry - perhaps I just don't have a poetic spirit?
    But I've got a few poetry records that, when I have the time, I do enjoy
    Richard Burton reading Under Milk Wood is a favourite - my folks used to play it when we went on long car journeys so it brings back happy memories
    Ive also got David Garicks Jazz Poetry
    But I know there are all manner of poetry on vinyl - either with or without music
    What would people recommend?
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

I love this....beautiful Norwegian jazzy vocal version of a William Blake poem.

Comment

Peggy Lee's 'Sea Shells' album has some lovely stuff on it, versions of Chinese love poems and so on - wonderfully sparse and intimate with just Peggy's honeyed tones accompanied by harpsichord and harp. Can't find any of it on youtube though...

Comment

This is great too - a poem by WH Davies put to music by Danny Kirwan. From that strange period of Fleetwood Mac post Peter Green where they seemed to be trying all sorts of different things in the hunt for a new direction. First heard this on an xmas swap cd a few years back

Comment

I was lucky to find this gem for 10% of the going rate. Rare Danish spoken word poetry "space fiction" with cut-up technique, sound effects and dry Danish humor and funny ramblings. Great!

Comment

I'm not sure if these cross the line between spoken word and poetry but a couple of records I'm after which may qualify:

Comment

Recent Alastair Roberts LP:

http://stonetaperecordings.bandcamp....um/hirta-songs

review: http://thequietus.com/articles/14132...a-songs-review

Comment

My two fave Finnish concept albums mixing poetry with music...

The aural history of the sex life of a cosmic corn popper

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
                  ...But I know there are all manner of poetry on vinyl - either with or without music
                  What would people recommend?
                  This is somewhat oddball but I like a few of the tracks, a lot, especially Sylvia.

http://youtu.be/nGmU05gVusA

Comment

Superbly fruity BBC-register readings of these atmospheric medieval works.

Comment

Originally posted by toby.d View Post
                      Co-sign on this, fun for days - there is a UK press. My favourite is the rhyming spree he goes on with deeply unfashionable maroon.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post

Superbly fruity BBC-register readings of these atmospheric medieval works.
                        Ha! I like this one, too. There's tons on Argo that's worth checking - the Richard Burton ones are some of my favourites, particularly his Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Also love the various recordings of Dylan Thomas reading his own works on Caedmon although prices seems to be moving upwards at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
                          Ive never really got into poetry - perhaps I just don't have a poetic spirit?
                          Everyone´s got a poetic spirit. Stick with it. I had a poetic stage in my teens and then more or less avoided it until my mid-30s. Now, the Poetry section is the first part of any second-hand bookshop I go to when I´m back in the UK. There´s just so much treasure to be found.

I don't have much on vinyl, but www.poets.org is a bloody fantastic site, full of soundclips of all sorts of poets going back to Alfred Lord Tennyson.

Here´s one the jazz heads on the board might appreciate

http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15722
                          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
                            My favourite is the rhyming spree he goes on with deeply unfashionable maroon.

Agreed - enjoy "white" very much too - "off white, white"

here's a couple from me:

Comment

Giorno, Bukowski, Burroughs all have material on vinyl mainly from early to mid Seventies.

Craig Moorer has a copy of 'Hostage' (Bukowski) up for grabs.

Pottery on records, now that would be a thing.
                              record licker

Comment

Working...
                              X