Boogaloo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boogaloo

Is there more than one style called boogaloo? I know all about latin-soul by Joe Cuba Joe Bataan etc style boogaloo, and anyway, that's bugalu, but I've also heard funk stuff that doesn't sound latin at all called boogaloo. Fast stuff like 'Boogaloo Tramp' by AC Reed. Is it boogaloo or not boogaloo or is it a different type of boogaloo to the boogaloo I've been doing the boogaloo too?
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Originally posted by babycart
    Is there more than one style called boogaloo? I know all about latin-soul by Joe Cuba Joe Bataan etc style boogaloo, and anyway, that's bugalu, but I've also heard funk stuff that doesn't sound latin at all called boogaloo. Fast stuff like 'Boogaloo Tramp' by AC Reed. Is it boogaloo or not boogaloo or is it a different type of boogaloo to the boogaloo I've been doing the boogaloo too?
    i like this post
    MODZ
    Hero No.9
    Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
    THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

then there is the electric boogaloo

Comment

The soul boogaloo was a dance/music style/buzzword that was inspired by the latin boogaloo. This web site explains all about the origins:

http://www.salsacrazy.com/salsaroots/boogalu.htm
        Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Now I love me Latin boogaloo. But can someone tell me if there is a difference between Boogaloo and Shingaling?
          My Mixcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Kinky Chris
            Now I love me Latin boogaloo. But can someone tell me if there is a difference between Boogaloo and Shingaling?
            Shing-a-ling was another name for the boogaloo style dance/music, probably relating slightly more to the Afro-American sounds of the 60s than the Latin influences.

Here are another two very interesting articles I've uncovered on this:

http://www.buscasalsa.com/article.php3?id_article=6

http://www.concordrecords.com/artist...body.asp?aid=9
            Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

A good LP to get is James Brown plays the New Breed on Smash
              Dunno why, it's just quite interesting!

I think bugaloo became popular because Latin records helpfully put the style of each song after the title (bolero, merengue, bugaloo, etc) and Bugaloo's were the Jams!

But the latin bugaloo did have a strong influence on the birth of funk music so the name carried on even if the music sounded different.

edit: just read that first article in previous post.... dense but good. And confirms my theory that NYC is the most interesting place in the world for diggin. You may not get the grails but it's like one big library of congress for music, mainly in VG-.
              Last edited by sport casual; 03-03-2005, 04:31 PM.
              www.futurefunk.net/

Comment

on the topic of different dances:

The first line of James Brown's There Was A Time, does he flub his lines? He starts this slightly out of place "there was a dance" and then goes "huh" and starts the verse again but says "there was a time" ... fuckin amateur.
                www.futurefunk.net/

Comment

Originally posted by sport casual
                  on the topic of different dances:

The first line of James Brown's There Was A Time, does he flub his lines? He starts this slightly out of place "there was a dance" and then goes "huh" and starts the verse again but says "there was a time" ... fuckin amateur.
                  YES BUT THE BOY COULD BUST A FRUG.
                  MODZ
                  Hero No.9
                  Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
                  THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

What about Bogaloo as in "Alligator Bogaloo" by Lou Donaldson?

David S.
                    God bless Fatso.

Comment

Boogaloo / shing-aling / pony/horse/ watusi/ philly dog, etc, were all black dance crazes. There are billions of em. The presence of these terms in the titles of records is just short hand for "a record you can do the whateveritis to".

Later, you got things like the funky chicken, the robot (an early form of bodypopping) and so on through to the hustle, breakdancing and jack your body...

Oh yeah, and I can do all of them.
                      Endless Tripe

Comment

Working...
                      X