Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very Good Plus keeps me from Facebook. That's a plus!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Good Plus keeps me from Facebook. That's a plus!

Since I joined this forum recently, I have found that I am always checking it to see what posts there are. I feel I need to keep abreast of whatever is the subject(s) of the day. I get invited by "friends" to join FB from time to time and people look at me strangely if they find out I'm not a member but to be honest, what with checking my email inbox, my ebay auctions, answering questions from ebayers and personal and general business emails, checking this forum is great but I really could not deal with checking another site....including Facebook. I see how people on the street always look at their phones. I was told that a large percentage of that time is for checking their FB status or replying to FB member's emails etc.. I think if I went down that path, it would be total overload.
    VG+ or bust!

It might just mean that you spend less time on other sites, like email, as you end up having more of those conversations on fb instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggles View Post
      It might just mean that you spend less time on other sites, like email, as you end up having more of those conversations on fb instead.
      Hmmm...yes, good analysis. So you are saying that I should amalgamate and integrate all my contacts by joining FB because they are all on there to start with and I can talk to multiples of them in one go?

Comment

Originally posted by jb stanislas View Post
        Hmmm...yes, good analysis. So you are saying that I should amalgamate and integrate all my contacts by joining FB because they are all on there to start with and I can talk to multiples of them in one go?
        exactly. the reason facebook is so big, is because it is does what it does so well. Chatting, planning, sharing ... all there in one place.

Comment

exactly. the reason facebook is so big, is because it is does what it does so well. Chatting, planning, sharing ... all there in one place.
          OK, sounds good. Only other thing is my fear of loss of privacy from snooping govt. eyes and ears. My govt. and others, regularly request info about people from FB. FB has all the info about people that they got without coercion. I am a private sort of person (whatever that means) and I don;t like the idea that the info I give FB can be got by big govt. without them telling me it was sent. I'm not in control of much in my life but I want to be in control of my personal details. I hate it when people say "If you have done nothing wrong, then you got nothing to hide and so what's the problem?". That is such a tired and cliched line. Sounds like the sort of thing that the Nazi's used to say when they stopped people on the street at random and said "Papers?!"....and you didn;t give them over. F**k that! It's just another form of brainwashing and sort of dialectics. There;s an old (Hitlerian) saying: If you repeat a line enough times, it becomes palatable and sounds like the truth.
          Sorry to digress so much....I will have a think about it and what you wrote and join up if I feel OK.

Comment

OK, sounds good. Only other thing is my fear of loss of privacy from snooping govt. eyes and ears. My govt. and others, regularly request info about people from FB. FB has all the info about people that they got without coercion. I am a private sort of person (whatever that means) and I don;t like the idea that the info I give FB can be got by big govt. without them telling me it was sent. I'm not in control of much in my life but I want to be in control of my personal details. I hate it when people say "If you have done nothing wrong, then you got nothing to hide and so what's the problem?". That is such a tired and cliched line. Sounds like the sort of thing that the Nazi's used to say when they stopped people on the street at random and said "Papers?!"....and you didn;t give them over. F**k that! It's just another form of brainwashing and sort of dialectics. There;s an old (Hitlerian) saying: If you repeat a line enough times, it becomes palatable and sounds like the truth.
            Sorry to digress so much....I will have a think about it and what you wrote and join up if I feel OK.
            Facebook do have a lot of data on us, which isn't nice. Although I think there could well be people from the NSA and such like working at facebook, I don't think the real concern re. the info facebook has on us is Government. If facebook was in cahoots with the Gov and snoopers, I reckon it wouldn't be long before an employee leaked it - and they I imagine they could do it fairly easily without getting caught. And Mark knows this, so will keep the government at arms length. Facebook wants your data to sell for adversts, and they want as much of it as they can get. Thats all out in the open, yet no bodzy really cares.

Finally, whether you have facebook or not is going to make little difference regarding the info the Gov has on you. It is probably already a lot more than you think.

And one more thing, if you are worried about privacy, Google is more scary than Facebook. Use Tor instead.

Comment

Facebook do have a lot of data on us, which isn't nice. Although I think there could well be people from the NSA and such like working at facebook, I don't think the real concern re. the info facebook has on us is Government. If facebook was in cahoots with the Gov and snoopers, I reckon it wouldn't be long before an employee leaked it - and they I imagine they could do it fairly easily without getting caught. And Mark knows this, so will keep the government at arms length. Facebook wants your data to sell for adversts, and they want as much of it as they can get. Thats all out in the open, yet no bodzy really cares.

Finally, whether you have facebook or not is going to make little difference regarding the info the Gov has on you. It is probably already a lot more than you think.

And one more thing, if you are worried about privacy, Google is more scary than Facebook. Use Tor instead.
              I think you may be right about the NSA and such like working at facebook, however, I want to correct you about one thing...I didn;t say or imply that FB was in cahoots with govt. I was saying that many governments make requests from FB for info on individuals and FB then agree or not, to give them the info. And I would like to disagree with you about your statement re: that it will make little difference regarding the info my government has on me. ASIO has a lot of info on people but they want more and they will request that "more" from organisations who have it on file. Simple as that.
              If you work for facebook and you are posting here for them, then I wouldn't believe anything you say. Even if you aren't, and with all due respect, sir, I would take the educated-opinion of Julian Assange over yours when he said in a speech once, that he recommends that people should not sign up to Facebook because they send lots of info on people to governments, all the time, and govts DO rely on them for info on people. I will take that as "gospel".

Comment

I think you may be right about the NSA and such like working at facebook, however, I want to correct you about one thing...I didn;t say or imply that FB was in cahoots with govt. I was saying that many governments make requests from FB for info on individuals and FB then agree or not, to give them the info. And I would like to disagree with you about your statement re: that it will make little difference regarding the info my government has on me. ASIO has a lot of info on people but they want more and they will request that "more" from organisations who have it on file. Simple as that.
                If you work for facebook and you are posting here for them, then I wouldn't believe anything you say. Even if you aren't, and with all due respect, sir, I would take the educated-opinion of Julian Assange over yours when he said in a speech once, that he recommends that people should not sign up to Facebook because they send lots of info on people to governments, all the time, and govts DO rely on them for info on people. I will take that as "gospel".
                The amount of info that Facebook has on you is nothing compared to the ISPs, or even Google as mentioned. FB don't make it particularly easy for governments or the police to access identifiable user data. There's really no point in being paranoid about FB - your data is already out there. If you use the internet then just accept that your browsing behaviour, communications and online associations have been logged in perpetuity from day one.

Comment

im not bothered what info people get from my facebook, they will learn that i like records, moan about bus journeys, am in a band and that i go on holiday. nothing that im keeping secret. im pretty sure if you were in a secret organisation, you wouldnt make a facebook page about it, or update your secret plotting daily on there.
                  instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

An interesting counter argument to this thread is that this forum is quiet because the majority are on Facebook
                    Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

VG+ exists on Facebook?

Comment

Originally posted by eclipsechaser View Post
                        An interesting counter argument to this thread is that this forum is quiet because the majority are on Facebook
                        I´ve heard that argument before but it doesn´t convince me. FB does completely different things to a forum/ message board.

By the way. I just put an entire one of these in my mouth!!!! AWESOME!

0 people like this post.
                        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eclipsechaser View Post
                          Originally posted by peretti View Post
                          VG+ exists on Facebook?
                          many but by no means all VG+ members are on FB some way, but VG+ itself does not have a FB manifestation.

most music-record forums/ fora (pednats STFU) are either quieter than pre-social networking or dead. My view (admittedly based on fairly limited time researching) is that this forum is certainly livelier than a lot of our historic brethren now find themselves. Please don't think that this reflects any complacency, I'd love to see the place heaving with people, esp newbies, evem Newbie himself...

Comment

Bring back Newbie, he was fun!
                            some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post
                              My view (admittedly based on fairly limited time researching) is that this forum is certainly livelier than a lot of our historic brethren now find themselves.
                              Indeed so.

F*ceb**k is for losers BTW.

Comment

Working...
                              X