X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY Times: The Ballad of Geeshie and Elvie

Posted on Waxidermy.

For all who like a great read.
    <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Thanks for that, amazing story, and I only cherry picked bits of it! I'll give it a proper read when I find the time...
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Fantastic, thanks. I wonder if there is something about the way that era was so tantalising close, that the main players could almost be alive - and yet it was before the mass saturation that we have now, it was very possible for people and things to fall down the cracks of history. I don't think you will get stories like this pertaining to the early twenty-first century, LV's equivalent will have a blog full of selfies and all the details of her life will be up for grabs in a second.

Comment

Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
        ....I don't think you will get stories like this pertaining to the early twenty-first century, LV's equivalent will have a blog full of selfies and all the details of her life will be up for grabs in a second.
        Cheers Fuz and Filthy. It's such a superb story.

I hope and pray McCormick's writings, recollections and photographs are eventually impounded by a reputable national library for them to be preserved, catalogued and available to all rather than sold to be locked away and hoarded again.

I think there's every possibility there will be just as many 'through the cracks' stories in the 21st Century Rich.

Take Facebook. Think about the people you communicate with on there and then think about the people who are not on there. I've only been on Facebook a couple of years and the penny has gradually dropped that a large swathe of people I'd love to speak to again are not on there. I know for certain they're not on there because they don't want things they've done in the past to come back and haunt, incriminate or embarrass them.

“L.V. estranged herself from our family,” she said. “Because of her lifestyle.”
        What did she mean, lifestyle?
        “She dressed like a man,” she said. “Do I have to say anything more?”
        <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Yeah, true about facebook but I think that there will be more school photos and the data that does exist will be more easily searchable. I do hope you're right though and I suspect that those who do slip through the cracks will have their reasonss and be all the more fascinating for it.

Comment

that Geechie song still kills me
            Vardy.....¬°¬°¬°PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
            X