Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for good psychedelic doom/stoner metal please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for good psychedelic doom/stoner metal please?

I have really dug Electric Wizard in the last 3-4 years. Love their music so much and my mates know about it. So my mate in Melbourne turned me onto the album 7 Thunders Roar by Stoned Jesus, recently. I really am getting into it lately. Have bought the cd and played it about 20 times so far. It;s up there with The Wizard as top rank doom stoner and so I was wondering if there are any suggestions you might have about albums of this very high calibre of this genre. I prefer it if they are from U.K. and have great Black Sabbath-type riffs.

Haron

n.p. 7 Thunders Roar.

Windhand

instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

New keepers of the water tower

instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
        Windhand
        Just only heard about 2 minutes of that and I love it! It;s exactly the style I like. I will chase up to hear more of their tracks. Thanks.

Comment

New keepers of the water tower
          This one was great! Unusual intro and ending and although the riff was a bit less Sabbathy, I liked it immediately and the lead soloing was insane! I will listen to more of theirs on Youtube. That;s 2 good ones already!!! It'll be fun researching them more. Thnx

Comment

Windhand are on tour at the moment, i saw them a couple of days ago.
            instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Windhand are on tour at the moment, i saw them a couple of days ago.
              Lucky you! I think they would be great live. I wish some top rank UK or Euro bands like that would come to Australia. I didn;t know about EW when they toured here in 2005. I did see Black Sabbath play Sydney in around 1981, so that's when I REALLY started to get into doom metal and the Sabbath sound. Never looked back.

Comment

Dunno about new stuff but for vintage check out Bang!, Sir Lord Baltimore, Savage Resurrection and of course Blue Cheer for starters.

Last edited by LDJB; 18-04-2014, 06:38 PM.
                "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Wicked Lady - psychotic overkill comp on Guerssen also puts a big tick in the proto metal box for me. The Vulcan - meet your ghost lp I picked up a couple of weeks ago is also well worth a listen ....

Comment

....and I forgot about the Maze

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                      Dunno about new stuff but for vintage check out Bang!, Sir Lord Baltimore, Savage Resurrection and of course Blue Cheer for starters.
                      Thanks for that. I didn;t like the Bang vocals. I thought the Sir Lord track was OK but they ran out of ideas soon and seemed to just extend the track for no real good reason. I didn't like the others, probably because they sounded to me typical of that American sound which sounds quite spare and the fuzz sound is not right, to my ears. I LOVE the lp by Bolder Dam though. F**kin Awesome!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                        ....and I forgot about the Maze
                        Didn;t like them for the same reasons. Actually, doesn;t matter where the band is from, that 60/70's fuzz sound and production does not compare to current sound when it comes to that real HEAVY fuzz sound I like and am looking for and is particular to what I'm after in this thread. Probably Dark Round the Edges is the heaviest fuzz sound I have heard from that era. Most fuzz stoner and doom bands from that era, from ALL countries, including Australia, sound pretty lame by comparison. It;s just the equipment they had back then or something. I don;t know. I LOVE the sludge/overly heavy sound they have these days from modern production values like from Windhand as an example of what I have discovered recently. Check out this track. The perfect fuzz sound comes in at about 1:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO7V...2750041B55F2D5

Fantastic DOOMY lyrics too, on another EW track.

This dead black asteroid crawling with maggots decayed
                        Black seas spew up leviathan
                        Even new gods are stillborn
                        When the earth finally crashes into the sun
                        Tears of joy at last as I burn
                        Last edited by jb stanislas; 19-04-2014, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Windhand
                          Uzala
                          Satan's Satyrs
                          Witchsorrow
                          Reverend Bizarre (just the first album)

Comment

The Iron Claw album is a hoot.

As a bridge between the old and new, early Monster Magnet - The E.P. is rusty razor blade rough, 'Spine Of God' is bigger sounding and swirly.

Comment

getting into doom and stoner myself at the mo..

orange goblin
                              the heavy eyes
                              the samsara experiment
                              scorpion child
                              monster truck
                              orchid
                              graveyard
                              asteriods
                              shrinebuilder
                              cathedral
                              kyuss(sons of) also
                              ------~o00o-----//{ ´°`(_)´°` }\\-----o00o~------