Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This ‘endangered song’ wants to help save Sumatran tigers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This ‘endangered song’ wants to help save Sumatran tigers...

Found this on the D&C website this afternoon:

"There are only 400 Sumatran tigers left in existence, a number that's steadily declining and will continue to do so without human intervention. In order to draw attention to the plight of these beautiful animals, an unlikely ally has come in the form of the indie music. More specifically, the psych-rock outfit Portugal. The Man (the full stop is deliberate, FYI).

They've teamed up with The Smithsonian's National Zoological Park and Conservation Biology Institute to create a song called "Sumatran Tiger" to raise awareness of the endangered animal. The "endangered song", as it's been dubbed, only exists in the form of 400 7-inch singles made from polycarbonate plastic, which means they will degrade after a certain amount of plays. The band are encouraging anybody that they've sent the record to upload it online so that it can be preserved before it disappears forever. The song's endangered too, geddit?"

https://soundcloud.com/absolutepunkn...endangeredsong

Here's the full article: http://www.dazeddigital.com/music/ar...umatran-tigers

Cool use of the format, no? What's your thoughts?
    I'm trying to find something you don't like...

If it saves just one tiger it will have been worth it.
    Although I can´t for the fuck of me work out how it will.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

How many plays? Because if it's less than ten then that's most of my collection safe. My Shangri-La's records are long gone, though. I think it's a neat idea, actually - but I still fear for the tigers.
      SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Sounds like this song sucks

b/w

there are lots of records that exist in far smaller numbers than 400. These Tigers are doing OK.

Comment

Puts me in mind of the novelty vinyl formats used by Jack White for his record label - recrod within record, flexis distributed by balloon etc...
          "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

From Wiki
            Third Man is known for pushing the boundaries with vinyl record production, and with the help of United Record Pressing (their main partner in manufacturing records), their innovations include the following unique record pressings: Glow In The Dark Record, Triple-Decker Record (a 7” within a 12”), Texas-Sized Record (8” and 13” records), Metallized Record, Liquid-Filled Record, Scented Record, Rose Petal-Filled Record, Playable Etching Record, 3 RPM Record, Lightning Bolt Record, Bolt-A-Trope Record, and the Flex-Ray Record (a flexi disc made from an x-ray).
            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by No, LordNo View Post
              Sounds like this song sucks

b/w

there are lots of records that exist in far smaller numbers than 400. These Tigers are doing OK.
              Thanks for your mind blowing participation there. Be sure to come on back soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr SJ Herd View Post
                Thanks for your mind blowing participation there. Be sure to come on back soon...
                He´s got a point, though. The natural habitat of vinyl records is being destroyed everywhere, and the activities of grippers are having a devastating effect on the delicate natural ecosystem.
                Attempts to reintroduce the species like RSD are also threatened by naked greed.
                Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                  He´s got a point, though. The natural habitat of vinyl records is being destroyed everywhere, and the activities of grippers are having a devastating effect on the delicate natural ecosystem.
                  Attempts to reintroduce the species like RSD are also threatened by naked greed.
                  Does that make us poachers?

Comment

Or conservationists?

Perhaps we're like Victorian conservationists, i.e. poachers.

But what is the natural habitat of a James Last record? A charity shop? Should we perhaps campaign that a couple of chazza's become protected reserves? Or is that just the Lewisham record library for old people?

Comment

And here it is... a Voodoo Party! Majestically relaxing with its harem of Non-Stop Party Hits in the midst of a large herd of Conniffs that have just finished their long migration from the back room to a plastic crate beneath a shelf of CD singles.

But downwind, a VG plusser sniffs the air curiously ...and the hunt is on!
                      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

The plusser swaddles himself in a dead person's clothes to mask his own pungent scent. The outcome of this savage ballet seems inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                          But what is the natural habitat of a James Last record?

Comment

I recently went to Central India, looking for tigers. The bucket list is bearing down on this ageing body! Saw three, and strangely, it was a very emotional experience. When we got back, we went to a talk at The Royal Institution (don't you know!) by Paul Goldstein, the guy who ran from Brighton to London (among many other things) with that flipping great tiger on his back, raising awareness (and money) to fight for the tigers right to survive. Also speaking that night was a journalist who is good friends with Paul, and whose name escapes me. He has recently returned from India, and while there, spoke with some of the people at the sharp end of tiger conservation. He asked about the outlook for tigers in India. He was told that if we do nothing at all, 5 years, no more tigers in India. If we throw everything feasibly possible at it, 20 years same result. The reason everyone agreed, was habitat encroachment and the demand for tiger parts driven by the Chinese middle classes. Not earth shattering news to anyone who has payed attention to the plight of tigers, but there it is.
                            Same thing as the Sumatran tigers.
                            A world without tigers? Man, now I'm depressed.
                            Going back to the thread, the guys are musicians (I've never heard of them), and they are doing what they can, and it's positive, they are trying something. I just hope some of the higher profile people they sent the single to pick up on it. If they've got record players that is.
                            Looking for signs of life on Mars?There's a planet full of the stuff right here. Look at what we are throwing away! I'll stop now. Ignore me...
                            Everyone tear down your own little wall
                            That keeps you from being a part of it all
                            Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                            You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Originally posted by Mr SJ Herd View Post
                              made from polycarbonate plastic, which means they will degrade after a certain amount of plays.
                              People often take up this strategy in the art world, pressing up dub plates cause they're cheap and making a big deal of the paradox that the more you play it the harder it is to hear the recording. It's better to make a record that will last, esp if the point is to raise awareness.

Comment

Working...
                              X