Shakespearean Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shakespearean Records

It's Shakespeare's 450th birthday, so here's a couple of Shakespearean concept albums to celebrate. Hurrah!

Alec Costadinos - Romeo & Juliet - a faithful transposition of the classic story into a disco mileu:

V/A - Swinging The Bard - alternating between jazz and Elizabethan instrumentation, this sets Shakespeare lyrics to music. And is notable for containing John Mayer's "Nine For Bacon" which led into his Indo-Jazz endeavours. Which I couldn't find on YouTube.

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post

V/A - Swinging The Bard - alternating between jazz and Elizabethan instrumentation, this sets Shakespeare lyrics to music. And is notable for containing John Mayer's "Nine For Bacon" which led into his Indo-Jazz endeavours. Which I couldn't find on YouTube.

Also featuring Shake Keane - one of my favourite 'bard' records
    let's not forget this one - released the same year

"Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Is "Strike Up The Bard" the same as "swinging the bard"?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post
          Is "Strike Up The Bard" the same as "swinging the bard"?
          Although I've never seen Strike up the Bard I'm pretty sure its the UK edition of Swinging the Bard - is it a Denis Preston Lansdowne recording?
          Maybe the Americans didn't know what Strike up the Bard meant?????
          "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Comment

I'm sure we've all passed the Living Shakespeare series in the charities:

It was pointed out to me that the legendary Desmond Leslie pilot/film maker/music concrete dude is credited as supplying musique concrete for them.

Haven't forked out to hear the contributions mind.
              Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post
                Well played, I salute your choice. But that would be a salute not involving any arm movement.

Comment

Nothing like a little bit of Elizabethan instrumental! great stuff - off for a bit of sonnet reading now.

Comment

it´s actually Shakespeare´s 450th birthday on Saturday, or in May considering the calendar was different then.
                    Yesterday was his deathday, and also that of Cervantes

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I wish not to quibble, but I always thought his birthday and deathday were one and the same. The Shakespeare's Birthday Celebrations site has it down as 23rd April.

Don Quixote, what do you say?

Comment

He was baptised on 26th April, so they reckon he hatched out three days earlier.
                        however, I believe they did him on the same day. and there is no evidence to contradict me.
                        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X