Record shops in London/Brighton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record shops in London/Brighton

I'm having a trip to London this weekend and I'm wondering if you guys can advise me for some record shops. I am very enthusiastic about this as the last time I went there I spent quite a lot of money on records that are usually hard to find in western Europe-not to talk about the other side.

Besides all the odd library and private press rare records ( that you guys didn't yet find) I should admit that my heart equally warms up when it comes to 90s realeses like jungle, house, hip hop and so on.

Last time a friend of mine that was working in Brighton took me to some shops there and it was not bad at all. I found a lot of stuff that I really like and never had the chance to find them elsewhere for example. Also I remember a record shop near the train station that was closed but looked very interesting from the exterior (big collection of OSTs).
    So what I know in London is the 2-3 record shops that are near Portobello Road Market and thats it.

I am not very familiar with the customs there and I am also wondering if it is ok to negociate the prices for bigger buys for example. Any other input about this little adventure is welcome!

Not sure if The Record Album (the OST store by the station) is still going - George must be pretty ancient by now but here's a slightly dated link to other Brighton shops: http://brightonsource.co.uk/features...-record-shops/.

If you're in London then try Flashback on Essex Road in Islington and, if you have the energy, Haggle Records which is about 100 yards further down the street (tons of stock and eccentric owner). If I'm spending I'll usually ask for a best price.

Comment

Originally posted by peretti View Post
      Not sure if The Record Album (the OST store by the station) is still going - George must be pretty ancient by now but here's a slightly dated link to other Brighton shops: http://brightonsource.co.uk/features...-record-shops/.

If you're in London then try Flashback on Essex Road in Islington and, if you have the energy, Haggle Records which is about 100 yards further down the street (tons of stock and eccentric owner). If I'm spending I'll usually ask for a best price.
      Record Album is still open - I was there last month! George was as lovely as ever....

Agree on Flashback on Essex Road (my local so try and leave something there ), also Reckless in Soho - on Berwick Street. Greenwich has a couple of stores too that are worth checking.
      "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Knowing that The Flight is after 90's stuff - DnB, hip hop etc - what about a trip up to Alan's on the High Rd in East Finchley..?

Just a thought...
        If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Presumably you've checked the Digging section of this site? The good spots are all listed.

If you're not scared by going away from the tube network, rat records in Camberwell is worth a visit. Half the price of shops in the centre of london too.
          http://www.blaxploitation.com
          Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Thanks guys, it's a great help! I already verified and most of them are not so far from my hotel so I will definitely check them out (it's nice to see that most of them are opened on Sunday). Now all I have to do is negotiate time with the lady... and that won't be easy !

Hope to get back with hundreds of raers on the finds thread because lately I have been just drooling over there...

Comment

If you visit Flashback, you should also check Haggle for the "old school" record shop experience - eccentricity with the potential for rudeness and hostility, totally disorganised insane amounts of stock. I am almost certain you'd come up some good old school 12"s in there, there's so much bloody stuff.
              "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Yeh, Flashback and Haggle is on top of my list, 20 minutes walking distance and I will also have the chance to feel the city. Thanks!

Comment

came across this site the other day that seems to be pretty comprehensive http://www.recordshops.org/
                  www.thediggersltd.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                  X