Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a Technics turntable fixed in London?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a Technics turntable fixed in London?

Any ideas? I've inherited a turntable but I'm not getting any sound out of it. The guy I got it off said the cabling had a kink in it so I'm assuming it's this that needs replacing, and although I could probably bodge this repair, I'd rather to take it somewhere to get it fixed. Any other advice welcome - I can hear that the needle is making contact and generating sound, and the amp etc is fine.

(apologies in advance for tardy reply - work have reset firewall and it's blocking the board currently).
    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

I use Graham's on New North Road but this looks closer to your neck of the woods...

Comment

Thanks Peretti! I have sent him a message. I would take it in somewhere but they are built like bloody tanks.
      "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Comment

Originally posted by Great Day
        Have you double checked that the connection between the headshell & the tonearm is clean? Sometimes I've noticed that being a problem if I've dj'd in a pub.
        Usually it's just left or right not working though. Never come across both sides with no sound.
        Cheers. It looks clean? I can't see any dust or owt in there. I just can't work out what the problem is. I'll try both of the leads from the back, one at a time, and see if that sheds any light.

Comment

Best to get that looked at professionally.

On a side note, how much are you willing to spend?

There's a few places that customise/modify Technics to make them into super high end turntables, you can spend what you like. Prices start at arpound 50 quid or so to replace certain parts and carry on up to silly ammounts.
          For a few hundred quid, Technics decks can be changed from a very good deck to something that sounds
          stupidly good, easily outshining those 'pro-audio' type things that cost a fortune.
          Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

Have you got any more info or links on that? I'm not looking to drop that much right now, but it might be something to think about for the future. Cheers for the tip.

Comment

Yeah, there are a few places that do it from the 'funky' looking to the 'audiophool' type places that get all serious on your ass with loads of technical audio goo.

Bottom line is the Technics are built like tanks and have fairly easily replaceable parts that can be upgraded to sound amazing for a few hundred rather than thousands of quid.

Of course if I had a few spare grand lying around it'd be mint to spend it on my Technics.

But I don't.

http://www.sl-1200-mk2.com/

Is one place that'll give you some kind of idea.

It's a save up job for me, I get mine done a litlle bit at a time.

Comment

The most common problem with Technics, in my experience (i.e. it's the only thing which has gone wrong, and it's gone wrong twice - in twenty years, mind, and they were secondhand when i bought them) is a kink in the cabling. It's quite common when moving them to coil the cables up the back and UNDER the plastic lid. The cables get knackered up at this exact point where the plastic lid digs in. Plus, the original cables are pretty weak...

So you can locate this point and try wiggling (technical term). When i got mine serviced last, they replaced the cables with nice fat phono cables with gold plated plugs. You can also get the earth wires removed or integrated or something - which i got done at the same time.

Not sure if my ears work properly, but i prefer listening to things on my Technics with decent carts over my Rega Planar 3. (cue: audible intake of air, low level murmuring... Etc.)
                Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

I totally agree with The Divine One, I have something called an Acoustic Research 'AR' belt drive turntable in orig condition, all analogue no modifications and the like with a decent cart on it. I know a little about these things
                  and I've been led to believe that these are sought after by Hi Fi buffs and the like.
                  I also have a couple of Technics 1210's one of which has been slightly upgraded with a decent cart and some inexpensive minor upgrades (new cables, tonearm plate replaced, spindle replaced)
                  The sound from the Technics is better than the 'Hi Fi' buff deck. Dunno why, it's just a different sound and makes music kinda 'nice' and pleasurable to listen to. it's also rock solid playing stuff
                  because of the direct drive which lasts for donkeys years.
                  Plus I don't have any of the harshness that happens when the LP's get to the last tracks and the grooves get closer together, mine sounds clear all the way to the end of the records.

They are really good turntables!

Comment

a kink in the cabling

This is exactly what my friend who gave it to me said is wrong with it! Will do some wiggling around. But fuck it, I think I'm just going to get 'em replaced anyway. I like this gradual upgrade idea. Thanks a lot both of you for your comments.

Just on a general note, this has got to be the easiest way to acquire a turntable? The amount of disused Technics knocking around these isles since the 90s DJ boom must be immense!

Comment

I've used the deck dr in the past who is very good. Services a lot of venues around London. He will also come to you so no lugging decks around. http://www.deck-doctor.co.uk/
                      www.thediggersltd.co.uk

Comment

I can recommend Michael.
                        One from the old school and a gent.

Incidentally, whilst it is rare for both channels to go silent on a deck, the RCA cables used on those Technics really aren't much cop, and I've had to change a few that had gone intermittent. Hopefully that is all that's wrong with it. Ideally before going further, you should try another headshell on it, just in case.
                        "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

Originally posted by Tsundoku View Post
                          a kink in the cabling

This is exactly what my friend who gave it to me said is wrong with it! Will do some wiggling around. But fuck it, I think I'm just going to get 'em replaced anyway. I like this gradual upgrade idea. Thanks a lot both of you for your comments.

Just on a general note, this has got to be the easiest way to acquire a turntable? The amount of disused Technics knocking around these isles since the 90s DJ boom must be immense!
                          I wasn't recommending wiggling rather than replacing. And as for upgrading, i haven't done anything apart from get new cables and buy some Shure white labels. Although i'm tempted now...

There's a great disco night in Glasgow called Melting Pot who take their audio VERY seriously. They have separate power supplies for each deck which "cleans" the electricity. I might buy a new slipmat!
                          Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Originally posted by The Divine One View Post

There's a great disco night in Glasgow called Melting Pot who take their audio VERY seriously. They have separate power supplies for each deck which "cleans" the electricity.
                            That's not taking it seriously, that's nonsensical! Obviously more money than scientific knowledge.
                            "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

Update: The dude from the Gumtree ad got in touch, came round and replaced the cables. He charges half the price of the shops and other people I got a quote off, the cables he replaced 'em with are decent quality, and he's a thoroughly nice bloke to boot. So recommended! PM me if you want his number direct. The best thing is that he visit meaning I don't have to lug half a ton of turntable round London. Both cables were actually broken. Replaced 'em and I have a new Stanton cartridge off a friend, greatly enjoying the sound upgrade. Will probably try and get a swisher new cart post next payday. Cheers for all the input - I now want to trick this thing the fuck out, thanks Monday's Child for feeding me a new nerd project

Comment

Working...
                              X