Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What started as a record blog is now a book...and a launch party...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What started as a record blog is now a book...and a launch party...

Yes, good old Dust And Grooves. The bloke spent 5 years interviewing record collectors, took loads of photos of them at home, travelled around the world a bit, took some more shots of record collectors, successfully used kickstarter and now has produced a book that was released in the USA on RSD and will be for sale in the UK from next week (or something like that) but I do not know the price. I've not seen the actual finished book, but it has some excellent photos of loads of collectors at home (like DJ Food, Keb Darge, Victor Kiswell, Craig Kallman, that Norton lot, Mr Scruff (who is on the front cover) etc etc etc) and extended interviews with Fourtet, Gilles P, Egon (Now Again), that Gaslamp chappie, some girls and yes, even me! There is a launch party in London on May 23rd which is a freebie and should be a bit of a laugh. There may also be some free drink from a sponsor but to be honest I really have no idea, although I do know there are about six DJs. I'm sure there will be people out there thrilled to see such a book, and many bored by the fact that a new record book now exists, but I really do have to applaud the way Mr Dust And Grooves has doggedly pushed on with this project, as I know that making any book physically exist these days is a very hard task indeed.
    Tune in to OST on Resonance 104.4FM. Saturdays at 4.30pm, and now podcast legally too! Film music, TV music, rare library recordings special guests and anything to do with soundtracks. Listen on-line at www.resonancefm.com

Looks good, could be tempted depending on price...

Opinion seems divided on Soulstrut and Waxi.
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

I think opinion is always going to be divided on forums, especially if the book costs more than the price of a second hand LP, which of course it will do. He is a good photographer thought and apparently has enough shots for a second volume if he shifts the first lot.
      Tune in to OST on Resonance 104.4FM. Saturdays at 4.30pm, and now podcast legally too! Film music, TV music, rare library recordings special guests and anything to do with soundtracks. Listen on-line at www.resonancefm.com

Comment

saw this - looks wonderful ... better save some pennies !! Agreed on your comment about the second hand record thing ... most wouldn't flinch if they were buying an album that was in a similar price range !
        Rockwell
        Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Looks good, there's a similar one here - http://www.passionforvinyl.com/ that I was also toying with getting.
          Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

does look like a nice book but it is costly!!

Comment

Originally posted by Senor Trunk View Post
              He is a good photographer
              This, in a nutshell. Leaving aside the price, the photos I've seen are very well composed and will come across much better on the page than on the blog.
              As Mr Trunk also said, he has a bucketload more photos (if you'll pardon the pun).

And people ... shelving pr0n for dayzzzzz
              https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
              http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
              https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
              https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

On a record buying waltz about London Town today I strolled into Phonica who had, to my surprise, just taken delivery of said book. Until today I'd not seen it in the flesh (until now I've just seen a pdf) and I must say its a weighty large fat thing - much bigger than I thought it would be, it looks and feels very impressive indeed. I didn't look inside as it was sealed, but the staff were all very impressed by it and they had one open in their front cabinet (yes, it's a record shop with a posh front cabinet!) and from what I could see photographic reproduction looked top quality. So well done that book producer.

Comment

On a record buying waltz about London Town today I strolled into Phonica who had, to my surprise, just taken delivery of said book. Until today I'd not seen it in the flesh (until now I've just seen a pdf) and I must say its a weighty large fat thing - much bigger than I thought it would be, it looks and feels very impressive indeed. I didn't look inside as it was sealed, but the staff were all very impressed by it and they had one open in their front cabinet (yes, it's a record shop with a posh front cabinet!) and from what I could see photographic reproduction looked top quality. So well done that book producer.
                  Just received a copy from Bleep and it certainly is a fantastic book!! The photos are wonderful - evocative - and witty..... and I haven't started reading the back end of it - but looks like some fascinating words too.

The 'Passion For Vinyl' is a good companion piece, predominantly a series of interviews with collectors, describing the drive behind the collecting - with 'Dust & Grooves' then going on to illustrate the results. Kind of cause and effect!
                  "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

So how much is it in the UK then?

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                      So how much is it in the UK then?
                      So far I have seen it at £39.99 and £44.99.

Comment

So far I have seen it at £39.99 and £44.99.
                        Thanks for the reply, just spoke to a friend and got one for £40 + £9 postage...It must be some hefty book!

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                          Thanks for the reply, just spoke to a friend and got one for £40 + £9 postage...It must be some hefty book!
                          It does indeed have heft!
                          "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Anyone that has seen it, does it contain a rather incredible amount of women collectors as a percentage of the whole book? I was advised by someone who knows such things that he displayed a certain robust keenness on entertaining the ladies with his camera, rather than men. It's great to see something to do with record collecting showing that it's not all men, even though in my long and vast experience it almost invariably is.
                            http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Well the website features a few ladies and the video of the book shows a couple in there. Still a tiny percentage compared to the males included of course.

I caved in and purchased a copy so looking forward to receiving it.
                              "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Working...
                              X