Boring Discogs Import Tax Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boring Discogs Import Tax Question

I recently bought a copy of KPM 1121 Fusion off an Australian seller for $30 AUD (about £16.50) so not a bad score. It arrived today but the seller marked the contents value as $140 AUD (£78) for some random reason and now I've had to pay a customs charge of £25.51.

Is there any way I can argue it and try and get my money from Customs as it was wrongly valued or is it a waste of effort? I've contacted the seller and I'm waiting for their reply but it looks like I'm going to get shafted.

Originally posted by tjh392 View Post
    I recently bought a copy of KPM 1121 Fusion off an Australian seller for $30 AUD (about £16.50) so not a bad score. It arrived today but the seller marked the contents value as $140 AUD (£78) for some random reason and now I've had to pay a customs charge of £25.51.

Is there any way I can argue it and try and get my money from Customs as it was wrongly valued or is it a waste of effort? I've contacted the seller and I'm waiting for their reply but it looks like I'm going to get shafted.
    I'm guessing it won;t be worth the effort. if you paid you'll be deemed to have accepted the valuation etc. Alternative would be to refuse and have it sent back, in which case the seller might want you to pay again, though you could definitly argue it was his fault.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Hi - I had a similar thing happen - I think the seller forgot the decimal point. I emailed him with a scan of the evidence (customs form, receipt for payment) and he refunded and apologised. I personally always object to paying import taxes on second hand records, but some sellers refuse to put a low value, suggesting it is fraud, which I suppose strictly speaking it is.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
        I'm guessing it won;t be worth the effort. if you paid you'll be deemed to have accepted the valuation etc. Alternative would be to refuse and have it sent back, in which case the seller might want you to pay again, though you could definitly argue it was his fault.
        Yeah I'm hoping the seller will be OK about it. They were also selling a copy of Keith Papworth's Hard Hitter at the same time (no longer there now) for $130 AUD + $10 AUD P&P so it seems they got the two mixed up at the post office.

I've sent them pictures of the charge and the customs declaration so I'll have to wait and see.

Comment

Happened to me when I got something from America a couple of years ago. I got the seller to send me an email saying he had mis-marked the customs sticker and I sent that, and a copy of my discogs order ( which showed the actual cost of the record), and also a photocopy of the Customs charge sticker that was on the package, to the customs people stating what had happened. I got my VAT and 'handling charge back'. Took about a month from sending to getting the cheque but it's worth it as the handling charge alone is about £8. I'm sure they'll refund if it's a genuine mistake. I think I went online, to the customs and excise people, to get some sort of form to accompany it as well.
          "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

I should say that you have to claim separately because the 'handling charge' is a P.O thing. Once I had my refund from the customs I was able to use that letter to claim back my handling charge. Pain in the vitals, I know, but what's to lose except a bit of time and a couple of stamps- mind you, stamps cost a packet these days.
            "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
              I should say that you have to claim separately because the 'handling charge' is a P.O thing. Once I had my refund from the customs I was able to use that letter to claim back my handling charge. Pain in the vitals, I know, but what's to lose except a bit of time and a couple of stamps- mind you, stamps cost a packet these days.

Good to know though! Thanks for the info I'll give it a go, definitely worth a shot.

Comment

Good news, the seller was really helpful. She apologised for the mistake and then sent me the full amount I paid for the tax £25.51 so that's good news.

Glad it all worked out in the end!

Comment

I had a 10 USD value that looked a bit like 40USD and had to pay customs and handling, I complained and got the customs charge back, but they would not refund me the handing charge which I think was bigger.
                  My Mixcloud

Comment

Working...
                  X