The Ferguson Goldstar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ferguson Goldstar

Anyone remember the Ferguson Goldstar video recorder? We had one in the early 80s – it digitised the screen for perfect pauses, great for horny teenagers who wanna ogle at Loni Anderson. It had picture in picture and you could tile 12 little frames across your TV screen, a great trick with which to impress your friends when screening kung-fu movies and nunchucks training…

So what the fuck happened to it? It was the best video ever. Were they shut down by dark forces, just like the guy who made a flying car powered by air?
    http://wakeupanddie.com
    http://weirdgearnyc.com
    http://makethingsmatter.com

Nick C on the money as ever...! The first video recorder I ever saw. Me mam's brother got one and we watched "American Warewolf In London" and "Driller Killer" on it. First two vid's I ever saw...

The Videostar was like the Technics 1210 of video recorders.. Man, you could chuck one of those things out the window of a top-floor flat and it would survive.

Nuclear holocaust ? just cockroaches, 1210's and Videostars will survive.
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

... up until I left Scotland in 1997 I was fiercely proud of the fact that, whilst watching a video at my flat, you had to plug the remote control in before using it...

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Nick - Ferguson, like Rediffusion, made quality products that were built like tanks. One great feature of the Videostar was it's 'piano' keyboard. You could not break those keys however much of a battering they took.

Which is probably why all the schools bought them and stuck them on those trolleys - to be wheeled in to watch 'My World' on a Thursday afternoon.

Happy days.

Comment

Ferguson's First Digital Effects VCR

Originally posted by Nick Cope
          ....it digitised the screen for perfect pauses, great for horny teenagers who wanna ogle at Loni Anderson. It had picture in picture and you could tile 12 little frames across your TV screen.... r?

I bought one of those around 1987 / 88! (I think others here are confusing the one you describe with the early big clunky first mass production one)

My model could also do 'heat treatment' type image effects and turn images into confusing squares like the trick they use to blot people's faces out on the news! It was ace!

(Mine can't have been the same as yours though because my one had no kung-fu films and mainly froze 12 perfect stills of Traci Lords in 'New Wave Hookers' being done from behind by a crap angel)
          <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Oh yeah, I remember it being able to turn everyone into a bunch of squares - Japanese genitals style! This truly was the best VCR ever.
            http://wakeupanddie.com
            http://weirdgearnyc.com
            http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Cope
              Oh yeah, I remember it being able to turn everyone into a bunch of squares - Japanese genitals style! This truly was the best VCR ever.

Sadly...mine just died on me. Then gathered dust...then got chucked. Wish I'd got it repaired now. I still think about it. Must get out more.

Not quite as bad though as when my mum informed me that she'd chucked out 'dad's old Dynatron record player'. Because it was 'heavy and very 1970's and I didn't like the wood'...she said.

I vaguely remember it cost him about a grand.

Doh!
              <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Dynatron? Stone me, that's dead poncy, that is - they used to make record players and tellies that looked like they were hand made by craftsmen in the 17th Century. By appointment to Her Maj, too. Me, I've only got an elderly 70s Fidelity music centre that I had to carry half-way across Aldershot and Farnham to get home - and it's a big beggar too, so I was in the worst pain I'd ever experienced by the time I'd got to Safeways car park.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames
                  Dynatron? Stone me, that's dead poncy, that is. . .
                  Poncy, but up until 2003, a Dynatron TV was still in use chez Tommo, housed in a large quantity of tropical hardwood. Friends used to delight in speculating as to its exact age, so I was chuffed to read in a magazine a while ago that Dynatron went into receivership in 1976. As it was almost certainly a later model, said gogglebox had therefore given me (and my mate's mum, who bought it originally) the best part of 30 years of viewing pleasure.

Of course, the trouble is, I now expect every piece of technology to last a minimum of 25 years. Apparently mobile phones have a life expectancy of about 8 months!
                  The Pop Music Library

Comment

haha.. this is still my main video recorder! bought it for a tenner way back when and never upgraded it when moving over to DVD ..

it's a bit unpredictable these days though, certainly wouldn't expect it to pause any pictures with great clarity (maybe it's done too much of that..)

Comment

Working...
                    X