Peter Hammill..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Hammill..

a name that seems to carry some kind of stigma with some. I've heard a few albums and such like. Anyways was listening to Silent corner and thought 'Modern' sounded amazing so...
    https://tdrec.bandcamp.com/

He can come across as incredibly serious, po-faced, depressing and over-wrought. But if you get it it's some heavy gear.

Not for casual or background play as unlike a lot of singer-songwriter stuff it does not work as pleasant background music.

He did a lot of solo albums and I find them a bit hit or miss. Or maybe I haven't given some the correct listening. As a rule I prefer his work with VDGG than solo. With the side note that a lot of his solo albums have most or all of VDGG playing on them. Future Now, Nadir's Big Chance and Fool's Mate are probably my favourites and most band like. I still have all his 70s ones, I had a lot of his 80s albums picked up for cheap but got rid of some as six or seven lps was enough. Some like Love Songs are a bit "over produced" in an 80s fashion.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Nadir's big chance is from '75 and one of the most punk LPs I've ever heard. The title track was clearly a huge influence on Lydon. Amazing stuff.
      To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

What the Emperor says. I'd rate the same three albums. Future Now was my own 1st entrance so remains a fave. Nadir the oft quoted precursor to punk, (big pinch of salt with that one, it is more rawk than usual.) and Fool's Mate the late Psych whimsy classic (check Imperial Zeppelin). If anything I'd say that Silent Corner is one of the more stark and difficult albums, so if you can get on with that then you are probably good to go. Black Box is another that normally gets a big thumbs up from outside the VdGG obsessive camp.

Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
        He can come across as incredibly serious, po-faced, depressing and over-wrought. But if you get it it's some heavy gear.

Not for casual or background play as unlike a lot of singer-songwriter stuff it does not work as pleasant background music.

He did a lot of solo albums and I find them a bit hit or miss. Or maybe I haven't given some the correct listening. As a rule I prefer his work with VDGG than solo. With the side note that a lot of his solo albums have most or all of VDGG playing on them. Future Now, Nadir's Big Chance and Fool's Mate are probably my favourites and most band like. I still have all his 70s ones, I had a lot of his 80s albums picked up for cheap but got rid of some as six or seven lps was enough. Some like Love Songs are a bit "over produced" in an 80s fashion.

Comment

To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

'A black box' was the first of his solo LPs I came across, from circa 1982 I think. It's quite upbeat arrangements, very eclectic content, still stands up ...perhaps a bit dated in places.
            'And close as this' is one of those stripped-bare piano albums he made several of, as emperor says hardly background listening as it is so intense. I do have a few more but it's been over a decade since they got a spin, so maybe it's time to revist them.
            "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

Working...
            X