The music business really is full of awful people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The music business really is full of awful people

I just got round to watching the excellent Rogriguez documentary Searching For Sugar Man (currently on BBC iplayer).

I then just googled his name to see what he's up to at the moment and this Guardian article came up from 4 days ago...

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...-for-sugar-man

No surprise obviously that a publishing company/lawyers are now trying to get in on the action regarding Rodriguez's 'rediscovery' but it really is depressing after the feel good factor of the documentary.
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Like the guy would say on League of Gentlemen 'Shit business isn't it!' (Or words to that effect.).

BTW Thanks for the heads up about the documentary, I'm going to try and watch it later.
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

It's a strange scenario isn't it - the documentary got him some recognition and some gigs as well as a renewed legal case to locate his royalties but now it has seemingly backfired (well - it might do)... Be a huge shame if he gets f*cked over twice through bad luck and naive understanding of his contracts

Still gutted I missed his Gateshead Sage gig as I can't see him playing anything but the odd festival now

Comment

Originally posted by Campag Record View Post
        ...but it really is depressing after the feel good factor of the documentary.
        Add in the fact that the young documentary director recently died too...

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014...l-dies-aged-36

Not related to the music business, just a shame...
        If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Ahh..that's sad Sie. Didn't know about his death. Such a waste.
          "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

The concept of copyright evolved from book sellers protecting their interests, not authors. It took a few hundred years for artists and authors to think about claiming any sort of ownership of their work.

Interesting these rights owners are interested now but weren't before. See the Aaron Fuchs / Tuff City business model. Thoroughly unpleasant.
            <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

where there's brass there's muck.
              I know your game Lionel! I can see what you really are!

Comment

Originally posted by Brass Monkey View Post
                where there's brass there's muck.
                spoken with some authority...

Comment

Slightly off topic, but copyright related... well worth watching... it was released under creative commons licence so no legal issue with posting, watching or remixing... was related http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Source_Cinema

Covers music, books and general intellectual property

"It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

Can anyone school me on the Aaron Fuchs thing? Watched an interview with him recently on youtube. Didn't he just buy up the rights to a bunch of funk stuff that was becoming sample-able at the time?
                    www.raysmith.bz

www.mixcloud.com/COSMICSLOP/

Comment

where there's brass there's Fuchs

Comment

where there's brass there's Fuchs
                        spoken with some autho....

oh.

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post
                          spoken with some autho....

oh.
                          you're some kind of thread ninja today Alan. challenge accepted!

Comment

you're some kind of thread ninja today Alan. challenge accepted!
                            with these interminable conference calls, it's either do this or live rounds will be going in the magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post
                              with these interminable conference calls, it's either do this or live rounds will be going in the magazine.
                              can't be just you and I that juggle calls on compliance, marketing preferences or information security while writing nonsense about sixto rodriguez!

Comment

Working...
                              X