Scott's 1, 2, 3 or 4..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott's 1, 2, 3 or 4..?

After having a discussion (argument) with a mate in the pub the other night about the better of the Walker Philips albums, (he reckons 2, I say 3) I'm just wondering what the board would choose. (reasons optional).
    https://tdrec.bandcamp.com/

Well, your both wrong!!!! It's four all the way for me because of this -

I think LL mod is going to do an art exabition with all the copies he's been picking up, bit like that dude who did it with the Beatles 'White' LP!

BTW I think 'Till the band comes' is his best.
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
      Well, your both wrong!!!! It's four all the way for me because of this -

I think LL mod is going to do an art exabition with all the copies he's been picking up, bit like that dude who did it with the Beatles 'White' LP!

BTW I think 'Till the band comes' is his best.
      It's a shame Stretch wasn't on Philips then it would be a landslide.
      https://tdrec.bandcamp.com/

Comment

4 for me.
        "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

4! For reasons as above, otherwise 2 is a close second for 'Plastic Palace People'. Luvverly.

Comment

Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
            4! For reasons as above, otherwise 2 is a close second for 'Plastic Palace People'. Luvverly.
            I totally concur with this.
            Boy George knew my father

Comment

Going against the popular consensus with '3' because of tracks like this -

and because the whole LP acts as a pre-cursor to '4' which ain't exactly full of 'fun' moments but I like the overall downbeat vibe of '3'.
              Luverly.

I also like '1' a lot though mind.....
              Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

Obviously 1 and 2 have great tracks on them, but as albums in their entirety it's 4 for me with 3 just slightly behind. 4 is basically touching perfection. If 3 had kept up the unbelievable quality of it's first 4 tracks, then it would seriously be in the running for best album of all time by anyone. But it doesn't quite follow through and the Brel covers at the end kind of dilute it for me.

Comment

My favourite is Scott 3 but that may just be that it's the first one I bought.

Scott 3 is 10/10 for me.

Scott 4 is 9.5/10 due to 'Hero Of The War'

On an aside Bisch Bosch is the first of the 'difficult' albums that I've really taken to. I think it's hilarious as well as musically and vocally quite amazing. It's possibly not mant to be funny but there you go.....
                  www.45cat.com
                  http://www.45worlds.com/

Comment

I've got to plump for Scott 3 overall. The first side is simply stunning. I think 4 is weakened by Get Behind Me and I'm shamed to admit that my attention wanders on Angels of Ashes.
                    Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

Comment

Originally posted by Mumbles View Post
                      I've got to plump for Scott 3 overall. The first side is simply stunning. I think 4 is weakened by Get Behind Me and I'm shamed to admit that my attention wanders on Angels of Ashes.
                      Whoa whoa whoa. Although I would go for Scott 3, Angels of Ashes as an attention-wanderer DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Comment

Yeah, I know I was letting myself in for some flack there . I just wish that The Worlds strongest Man was a bit longer - it's probably my favourite song of his - could have been a great single.
                        On a side note how the hell did Scott 3 get to number 3 in March and Scott 4 not even chart IN THE SAME YEAR?
                        Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

Comment

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
                          I would go for Scott 3
                          The balance between 3 and 4 is tipped for me by 4 kicking off with "The Seventh Seal" - which is totally bogus.

Comment

For me it's a close thing too.
                            Scott two has Plastic palace people and Amorous humphrey plugg, which I think are probably some of the best songwriting ever made by anyone. However, the album is diluted with some rather drippy covers, stuff like Black sheep boy which to me is unworthy. In fact, most the second side is pretty damn forgettable. Even the Brel covers suffer from terrible US translations (though that's not really a problem for most people without a background in languages, or otherwise unfamiliar with the Brel originals).

Scott 3 is 70% original writing, far more cohesive as a result, but comes at a price IMHO: there aren't any individual pieces that struck me like 'plastic palace' and 'plugg'. It's also more downbeat in mood as others have said.
                            Have to say I can't decide between them. So there.
                            "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

Originally posted by Mumbles View Post
                              On a side note how the hell did Scott 3 get to number 3 in March and Scott 4 not even chart IN THE SAME YEAR?
                              Getting rid of the 'Walker' surname must have been commercial suicide.
                              www.45cat.com
                              http://www.45worlds.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X