Bob Abrahamian, Chicago soul devotee and archivist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Abrahamian, Chicago soul devotee and archivist

I came across this very interesting article about last weeks very sad suicide of Chicago Soul expert Bob Abrahamian. I can't claim to have been terribly aware of him before reading this but he clearly had an amazing passion for his subject and it's exponents.

http://voices.suntimes.com/arts-ente...tural-history/
    Boy George knew my father

Also known to many on Waxidermy as Sittinginthepark. His enthusiasm and generosity with information on there was always really impressive.

Comment

That's no age at all really. Great shame. Thanks for flagging this up ninja, I was oblivious myself, but will check out his site & shows now
      Everyone tear down your own little wall
      That keeps you from being a part of it all
      Because you've got to be one with the one and all
      You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

I heard the news on Friday afternoon,terribly sad.
        Shalom Boba.
        record licker

Comment

Oh fcuk, I only just found out about this. I was swapping emails with Bob until recently...
          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Indeed, incredibly sad. I interacted with him minimally over on Waxidermy, but was always struck by the depth of his knowledge and obvious passion for the music. I am listening to a mix that a friend of his did now and I can't help but hear the sadness in the sweet soul and relate that to his depression. Seems to make this beautiful music even more bittersweet. RIP Bob.
            "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Very sad news. Dipped in and out of his shows over the years, and was always coming across his informed (and sometimes prickly it seemed) comments at waxi and soul-source (Boba there). He never bought in to 'Northern'.
              His passion - and obsession - for the music was obvious. I didn't know he suffered from depression but as Tsonduku said you can see how that relates to the music he loved, and also the personality that seemed to across through his internet presence.

Soul music has lost a true historian.

RIP Bob

Comment

Rest In Peace Bob.

Comment

From the article:

Through a note he left behind, Jennifer says her brother expressed a profound sadness that his life’s work didn’t matter.
                  “He assumed he would be easily forgotten,” she says. “He was so wrong. He didn’t know how valuable everybody thought he was.”

Such a tragedy. What i find inspiring about his life's work is that it was so much about keeping it directly personal and having an impact on people's lives. I think it's incredibly important even for those who don't struggle with depression to continually re-adjust perspectives and keep in mind how valuable even simple positive interactions with others are.

Of an irrelevant note - he played Sally Go Round the Roses, by request, on his last radio show. Since first hearing that tune it has stuck with me as one of the most deeply discomforting songs ever.
                  "What's my stance? You know, I like to dance. And smash things up when I get a chance." - Chain and The Gang

Comment

Here's another good article from the Chicago Reader by one of his close friends:

http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader...bob-abrahamian
                    Boy George knew my father

Comment

Really sad news.

Never knew the bloke, but enjoyed his posts on Soul-Source and Waxidermy.

It's tragic that although collecting records in general is a futile and pretty pointless pastime in the greater scheme of things, Bob's meticulous archiving of Chicago soul had real historical and social merit. He also seemed to love the releases purely for the music rather than their financial worth or rarity, something far too many collectors - myself included - need reminding of on occasions.

I know when Towny unexpectedly died a few years back his family took some solace in the tributes paid to him on here and elsewhere on the net, so I hope that Bob's family can also gain some tiny crumb of comfort in the outpouring of grief online for his death and that so many people knew, liked and cared for him.
                      it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                      take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Jude View Post
                        I know when Towny unexpectedly died a few years back his family took some solace in the tributes paid to him on here and elsewhere on the net, so I hope that Bob's family can also gain some tiny crumb of comfort in the outpouring of grief online for his death and that so many people knew, liked and cared for him.
                        Well put Hayden mate, never knew the guy, but can't help to feel for him and his family.

Just reading Waxi there, and Patrick The Lama has also passed, another great loss to the record comunity!
                        "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Absolutely Hayden...well said.

Damn Patrick The Lama as well. RIP to both.
                          "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Working...
                          X