Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Addiction? Does a love of music screw your life up or do the pro's outway the con's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addiction? Does a love of music screw your life up or do the pro's outway the con's?

This being the first message i've posted on the VV message board, after being a fan of the sight for ages, i thought i'd ask other members how they cope...let me explain further...

This all came about from my thirty second birthday a couple of weeks ago...i had a good old reflect and retrospect and summed it up like this,

I've worked in record shops for about eight years now, dj'd for the last 14 years, messed around in bands, worked in recording studios, written for magazines and fanzines, done radio shows and i suppose i've been surrounded by music all my life...carrying on the torch from my mum and dad...the first 7" i bought with my own money was way back in 1979 when i was 6..i liked the cover and it had dogs barking in it but unfortunately i don't even know what it was...but it was significant because that was the start of something....

Presently i spend pretty much three quarters of my wage on vinyl...it's taken over my bedroom and is creeping steadily into the landing...i have a bank account of zilch...i don't own a car,house, etc my wardrobe consists of t-shirts from gigs or charity shop finds...i dont have a fashionable haircut...in short i dont fit in....but in my world i suppose i do...my friends revolve around music...over the years i've got to play with some amazing dj's (Snowboy,Votel,Keb etc) and i get to meet so many bands and people i respect it's unbelievable...in my world i've achieved alot i guess....and i love my job which i suppose alot of people can't say in this day and age...and most importantly i've got lots and lots of records....

So what's the problem beside lack of money.inability to go on holidays,having to work on Sat's cos of record shop and working most weekend nights cos of djing?....what's the problem with having to explain to your girlfriends parents that you wont be able to offer their darling daughter the usual luxury's cos believe me the wages in most independent record shops are not much ( i could earn more an hour waitering at pizza hut) but i'm trapped by the lure of COST PRICE and GUESTLIST to GIGS....what's the problem with everyone telling you how much they'd love your job,even though they're on five times as much as you....would they give up the house,car,lifestyle?

Here's the rub i guess....how do you cope NEEDING to constantly hear new music.....how do you cope meeting someone who loves you for your passion for music,but knowing the usual outcome is that eventually they'll resent you for that self same passion when you just can't resist checking out the charity shops whenever you out for a romantic weekend away or she finds you fanning through the yellow pages checking out record shops straight after checking in a hotel the day of her best friends wedding you've been invited to (and you're much more excited about new finds than the actual wedding)...How many times have you got so STOKED and EXCITED after buying
    some random Lp that you see has been produced by E.Grant,has the magic words boogaloo in one of the song titles, has congas listed in the instruments and you've never heard of the band before and it's from the golden years of between 1967-1973 and it's NOT on President or his usual suspect labels....i bet right now your excited wondering what Lp i'm on about and i bet you know it's not that Zapata one cos that one IS on President...see that's how we think isn't it?That's how our brains hardwired....that's why we all collectively felt someone finally understood us when we all read the sleevenotes to Andy Votels brilliant Finders Keepers album.....is it possible to lead a "normal" life...?

Would we want a normal life?

Does anyone out there really understand me??????!!!!!????

Over to you lot on the board to sort out my manboy crisis...
    Last edited by Shiftless When Idle; 06-03-2005, 08:43 PM.
    Country be dyin like poor people do
    Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

Painful

Originally posted by Shiftless When Idle
    ....how do you cope NEEDING to constantly hear new music.....how do you cope meeting someone who loves you for your passion for music,but knowing the usual outcome is that eventually they'll resent you for that self same passion when you just can't resist checking out the charity shops whenever you out for a romantic weekend away?... :
    This is FAR TOO CLOSE for comfort. And so true (the whole thread )
    Trust me ...it's just as bad when you're not a DJ or work in music at all.

I teach...which means 4 different routes home from school which take me to different charity shop 'zones' as a regular routine in a 20 mile radius from where I actually live. And that radius obviously widens on a Saturday and Sunday.

I cannot offer you any comfort I'm afraid....I'm 43 this year and STILL doing it! I just about hang on to my woman but it's a close run thing sometimes (even with a house and car and money for holidays).

But the buzz remains... (currently buzzing on the King's Singers track 'Love Is The Answer' , the Tubes track 'Pimp' and LP's by the Philarmonics, Christian Gaubert, CSN&Y and Phoenix (United).
    And re-visiting the King's of Convenience 'Versus.'

See?? Can't even answer a straight thread without a burning desire to share and say 'This is fantastic - do you like it too?'.

It's an addiction...just try and balance things out.
    <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

My girlfriends about to become a teacher soon....i envy the holidays
      Hmmm....i'm imagining the amount of charity shop outings i could do in six weeks

Comment

I am nowhere near close to the amount of time or money spent on records, but I can understand where you are coming from.

About 18 months ago, my wife was made redundant and it meant I couldn't spend any money on music for a while... it was tough.

But after a couple of months I realised I didn't need to buy as many records as I had been used to... I had plenty already to listen to.

But like you, I wanted to hear NEW music I hadn't heard before, so I said to myself, for every new record I buy, I will sell and old one. This will be quite hard for some... selling their records can be tough. Personally I found it quite good to shift stuff I hadn't listenend to for ages. I'm not a DJ or anything, so just having a CD-R copy is good enough for me.

So in the last year, I have bought maybe 100+ LP's... and I have sold probably about the same. I've got to hear a lot of new stuff, and I've made more than I've spent... for me it works.

Try going cold turkey for a month... you never know.
        Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Comment

I'm cold sweating just thinking about selling any of my records

But i must admit i have been known to give away a few gems from time to time, especially when someone is so enthusiastic about a track they've heard...or desperate for that track that i happen to have...just to see the ....must be record Kharma but i seem to get a fair few beauties thrown my way too

I'm not really into selling i guess....I can't really put monetary worth on records....it's the surprise of finding that path not yet travelled....or the memories from playing the old slab o' wax that makes it hard to part company with the old companions

it's not just the djing aspect either....it's just the look and the presense of vinyl that enthralls me....but that's another story

Is a life pursuit that'll never be accomplished worth all the stress it seems to cause others around you?.....sure they put up with the fact that sometimes what seems perfectly "normal" to you is plain weird to them ....yet when you think about it....we are a bit...you know...out of step with the rest of em'.....

Thanks for the advice but don't think cold turkey is an option.... besides....i'm vegan .....the monkey is well and truly on my back....

Reminds me of the Carmen McCrae version of Straighten up and Fly right...if you find the 7" it's a lovely pressing....

I'm finding this all very cathartic...i should be paying you guys for the analysis....

Anyone else out there feel the contradictions of pain and joy in our pursuits?

Does anyone not feel a bit of a misfit?

Comment

Well, you could always pay us in records...

I agree with what you're saying, I was at a mate's wedding yesterday and when he was there signing away, I was dreading to think about having to put 'DJ' down on the certificate as and when. I taught for a while too but gave it up at Christmas...so I guess its my own fault.

As for not feeling a misfit, it does mean you have a stack of stuff to talk to people about when you meet them. A good broad taste in music can be socially useful! Actually, the bride yesterday said when I met her, 'So, are you the one who likes every type of music ever and has all the records ever?'

Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

hehe

But that's the other thing isn't it? In social situations when music comes up....doesn't it 9 times out of 10 feel like groundhog day...going over the same old stuff about taste...biting your tongue not to blert out when you hear the old i'm into everything too ...translation....i own a (insert current indie band here), a (insert classic motown album here) and a (insert popular dance combo here) oh and i once listened that geezer who plays world music on radio 2

Only when talking to fellow fiends do i truly enjoy a right good natter...

You know the score i'm sure....and what about being asked what you're into?Get out of that one answering honestly and without either illiciting a confused look on said unbelievers face or feeling a teensy weensy bit like a big geek....

I just smile and say EVERYTHING ....... sigh

More problems to contemplate....

Comment

Speaking of records in social situations, being a hoarder of vinyl meant that I could find a common interest with the Mother in-law - surf music!

She even gave me her original copy of 'Surfing with the Astronauts' after I made a cdr of it. I also got some Jackson 5 records too.

Records - bringing families together.

Jamie.
                https://soundcloud.com/basicbasic

Comment

Ouch! yep close to the bone... I'm addicted, admitting this is the first step on the road to recovery... what the second is I don't know and I'm not inclined to take it anyway.

How do I handle the constant need to hear new music ? I don't know that I handle it very well, I've noticed recently that I spend less and less time listening to music and more and more time hunting for it, why do I buy triples etc. of records that I don't personally know anyone who would want them? and don't ebay sell ( yet, I keep telling myself!).

The only way so far that has curbed the instinct has been starting a family, you'd have to be a cruel bastard to take the food from your kids mouths, but record shoping impulses at your wifes friends wedding ? - been there, record shopping on my honeymoon ? - yes ( shamefully ) - the first thing that you think about when you have 'you' time - record digging, absolutely, before EVERYTHING else.

Why is it that when I hear a great piece of music on a CDR or tape that someone sends me is the first thing I think is 'right i'll have to find that on vinyl' ?
                  Consider these CDR & tapes as morphine, a substitute but not really the real thing... the feel, artwork, smell, sound of vinyl... no subsitute.

I found myself at one point spending money on more music when I had blown my speakers, so I could only listen to any music with a blurry bass heavy fuzz noise, and convincing myself that it was fine and that it sounded great... I had to bite the bullet though, but not until I found some speakers to borrow whilst mine were being fixed.

Speaking from a point of view where my living is not earned through music, I'd jump at the chance to earn a living through it. Think about it this way, very few people get to earn a living as a DJ, so you should congratulate yourself. I would guess if you asked the people on this forum who don't make a living through music, if they would like to, and I reckon the answer would be yes in most cases.

I guess the answer to all this is how you answer these questions.... Are you happy? because if you are, you've got nothing to worry about. Does what other people think of your hair, clothes, job, bank balance, hobbies, record collecting matter to you? If it does then you might aswell ask your girlfriends parents what they wished you did and then go do it.

This life is about what you choose to do, and if you have pride, confidence, stamina and some talent you can acheive much, you've already said you've achieved alot in your world... so why worry what the rest of the world thinks of you. I bet that some of the rest of the world admires your work.

Dare I mention the words mid life crisis? As I'm 33, I'm right there with you... and all I can come up with is do what makes you happy cos it's easier than winning the lottery or compromising principles, doing something you'd rather not, to earn the cash. It's dirty money then and invariably comes with strings attached.

I hope this is of some help, and comes across in the manner intended. Namely as a fellow addict offering his tuppence worth, I only have sympathy for your situation, and maybe a little envy...

Respect

Right who's next...
                  In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Almost everybody on this board is somewhere between 29-35, we're a demographic dream for researchers....

When I get asked that question, I either say that it is easier to say things things that I *don't* like, or simply say '...anything with soul....'.

Not that either responses gets me out of the conversation mind.
                    Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Hero
                      Almost everybody on this board is somewhere between 29-35, we're a demographic dream for researchers....

When I get asked that question, I either say that it is easier to say things things that I *don't* like, or simply say '...anything with soul....'.

Not that either responses gets me out of the conversation mind.
                      I agree with Matt on the 29-35 thing.
                      absolutely correct about that.
                      MODZ
                      Hero No.9
                      Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
                      THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

?!

How come I'm 26 then ?!

Comment

Originally posted by Viva Chiba
                          How come I'm 26 then ?!
                          ...because you are a shiftless slackjawed youth who is lucky to be here at all

I did say 'most' !
                          Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by Viva Chiba
                            How come I'm 26 then ?!
                            result.
                            i was 26 when i was about your age.....
                            MODZ
                            Hero No.9
                            Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
                            THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

For you oldies ( ) out there, add the addiction to the lack of graduate jobs and a long-distance girlfriend and Houston, we have a problem.
                              Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

Working...
                              X