Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Lounge?

Hi

My interest is mainly in late 60’s-early 70’s cross genre sounds. Increasingly I am shying away from sounds that are fast or fierce. Mainly instrumentals, although I have a weakness for wordless vocals. I am inclined to think of what I listen to as ‘lounge’. Partly because some has a ‘lounge’ component, and partly because I mainly listen in my lounge. Library music and soundtracks often fit the bill.

Over time I have collected some recent CDs that also deliver. Good examples would be The Beastie Boys “In Sound From Way Out”, David Holmes “Analyze That”, The Skeletons “Smile”, and NOMO “Invisible Cities”.

The first half of the first of Alex Puddu’s “Golden Age” CDs sounds promising.

There are also some one-trackers. Shawn Lee’s “Fly First”. The untitled track on the first Cactus Channel CD. “Dub Driving” from the “Lost Highway” soundtrack. “Jabore Part 3” by Karl Hector.

Until recently I have found it easy to reconcile myself to the idea of a one-tracker in this context, because these things are available from Amazon for squat. “Lost Highway” currently sells for US$0.01. “Analyze That” goes for US$1.00. However, I’ve had to revisit this stance since the postage went up. Cost is a factor, I am afraid.

Writing this I have become conscious that the modern stuff has a more commercial feel to it than the 60’s/70’s stuff. I’ve listened to bits of, for example, John Zorn and Marc Ribot, but mostly it seems too much like hard work.
    Also, what I have heard of music that is deliberately aimed at the space that interests me doesn’t do it for me (e.g. most of what I’ve heard by Shawn Lee).

To be fair, I don’t mind other tracks by, say, Shawn Lee and the Cactus Channel. I can have them on when I am driving. But I don’t dwell on them.

Please direct me to more of what I like.

Thanks

I presume, being in Australia, it's not necessary to direct you to Sven Libaek.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

I like Sven. Lots and lots. Didn't at first. John Sangster from around then too.

I think that I have most of the low-hanging fruit from the 60s-early 70s. Although I have a few ideas of questions I might ask in due course.

For the purposes of this post I was thinking more about much more recent sounds that can be snapped up for cheap (in the general tradition of VV and Verygoodplus, and especially in the light of a recent thread dealing with chart CDs (e.g. Emma Bunton).

Comment

These might scratch your itch

http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Only-Thr...=melody+gardot

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nouvelle-Vag...nouvelle+vague

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Aquatic...ords=seu+jorge

All cheap and available on amazon - as CDs mind!
        "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Ta, I'll investigate all three.

I was aware of the Sven Libaek link with The Life Aquatic, but it hadn't occurred to me to listen beyond that. I'm pretty sure that I've heard the Nouvelle Vague album in shops here. I recall thinking that the idea was cute, but possibly no more than that. I see, though, that they cover "Psyche". That has to be worth a listen.

I probably should have said that I tend to be wary of covers. Over-familiarity is a real danger for me. However I can usually find time where there has been a complete overhaul.

I know nothing of Melody Gardot.

Comment

The Kramford Look? I love their Bip Bip Bip EP.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Spot on.

Comment

A bit obvious but what about a bit of air? I like the pre-moon safari stuff like Casanova 70 with Brenden Lynch

http://www.discogs.com/Air-Casanova-70/master/58535

My Mixcloud

Comment

"La Femme D'Argent" is a great example. Or it would be if my life-partner/significant-other didn't really like Air. The result for me is over-familiarity.

However, I didn't think he/she/it has anything by them pre-Moon Safari. In all conscience I should alert him/her/it to that. Oh, well.
                  Last edited by Grim Lounge Cowboy; 26-11-2015, 01:32 PM. Reason: Tinkering

Comment

Working...
                  X