Recent "losses"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent "losses"

So I've been out with my mate scouring the record shops of Lisbon, and we are in Discolecca. Spent an hour going through the masses of Chud 45s. Shop was pretty quiet,started perusing the lps. I'm in the rock section, which covers psych, garage, which is what I'm after.Just finished the s section and the phone goes, Mrs Treeboy. Shall I take it or plough on and get the flicking out of the way and ring her back? I,m looking at the t section. I STEP BACK AND TAKE THE CALL...............learn from this you vinyl hounds! It's the usual "where are you? How long? Phone call. A guy enters the shop, steps in front of me, straight into the t section. A couple of inches in he pulls this out

It took a couple of seconds to realise what has happened. He pulls the lp out of the sleeve. Og San Francisco copy. Checks condition. Even I can see it,s clean. Killer blow, he turns the sleeve over.......35 euros. Believe me, it,s a real one. Good luck to the fella. Gutted and feeling a little gazumped.
    The what ifs are all piled up in the corner waiting for me to put to bed.
    Make me feel better with a few more like this
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Ooof! I really like that LP. I had the Akarma reissue but sold it.

I think that's it why I don't do booters, because I couldn't stand the pain. I do like to annoy people in charity shops by starting conversations with them if they look they've pulled anything interesting. I can't recall seeing any decent losses under my nose but I'm sure it will come to me.
    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Crickey! I feel your pain mate, hope she appreciates what you missed for her!
      "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

My fault for trying to find a gem in the dross of 45 Chud really. I would have been home and dry if I'd put my brain in gear a bit earlier. Must be the heat! Spotted another good one in there which I'm going back for, hope it's still there. In my shock I forgot about it for a couple of hours

Comment

chin up, son...

Comment

Hope the other one is still there Paul mate.

Comment

haha, sorry, heres the opposite story.
              a couple of years ago i came across a thrifstore in lucerne that had to close down.
              he had records outside but i was always in a rush, catching the train. so i never had the time to look through his stuff.
              after a week or so i was going to miss the train anyway and finally looked through the rack.
              mintish trispichord for 2£.
              it never grabbed me tbh though.
              Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

I remember you finding it Sevi mate, I'm still very jealous!!!!!

Comment

I've mentioned this on the forum once or perhaps a hundred times previously but my most painful loss was the library lp African Voodoo a few years back.

Was meeting Mr Sayers in the town and was early so popped into Oxfam. Lo and behold Craig was already in there checking the racks. I begin looking through a 3 for £1 box but lose interest half way through presuming Craig has already gone through that box. He follows me into the box and half a dozen records after the point I stopped pulls African Voodoo.

So I can understand your pain Paul (although at least my pal scored rather than a stranger).

The lesson for me was don't presume your digging colleague has looked through the box before you!
                  "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Two spring to mind for me -

First one, Like Nige I'm sure you've mentioned this before -

Was going into RPM with Davie, I stop at the door to speak to some one, when I get in the shop theres Davie with an OG Skullsnap LP in his hands, he gets me to confirm it's an OG, which I do immediately, he then says 'It goes for money doesn't it?', I confirm it does. He then shows me the price (£11.99), and asks if he can borrow a couple of quid as he only has a tenner.

The second one was just a couple of months ago (Nige was also disappointed!) -

I'm first on a local dealers stall at the record fair, I ask the dealer which pile is his new stock, he points to it and I go through it, I can't remember what I pulled. I turn around and see I guy I know with a copy of Skip Bifferty LP in his hands which the dealer had just got in. I was in the pile before he got there, but another dealer had pulled it before the fair had opened, but wasn't prepared to pay what he had on it, so as he's handing it back this other guy gets it. To make matters worse he had never heard of the LP, which I find remarkable as all he tends to buy is UK psych and prog!

Comment

I think I'd have fainted on the spot. That Tripsichord LP is SUBLIME.
                      Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Thanks for cheering me up guys. Went back, the shop was shut. Went back later, the shop was open but he was in there with a couple of guys and he waved us away! His loss. Anyone heading out here soon who fancies a stereo Pink Floyd 1st (stereo) for under£40 or a Patto Vertigo (German)for less than £60, he's your man, but I have to say after today's events he's not my favourite fella.
                        Custard tart tally has reached 39 (between five of us) so not all bad

Comment

The all time Australian best story is how, at a record fair many years ago, my mate was flicking through a box from a guys stall who was on the stage area i.e. there was about 6 stalls on an elevated stage area about 2 meters up. He gets about 1/2 way through when he sees an arm reach over the box and a hand starts flicking through. My mate looks at him sternly and is about to say something, when the usurper pulls out a UK original of Leaf Hound. Not joking.
                          My mate tells him that he can;t do that. There is an unwritten law that you have to wait until the looker finishes with the box he is looking in and then grabs the lp out of his hand and grabs him by the collar and tells him something along the lines of how lucky he is that he doesn't know the rules otherwise he would have punched his lights out and thrown him off the stage.

Comment

I actually nearly had to do that myself, to a guy who reached into the box I was looking at and started flicking through to reveal that only at the back of the box was was there all original UK and Jamaican reggae lp;s and the front had crappy rock lps. He pleaded ignorance and I let him off with an explanation.

~ ignorantia legis neminem excusat.

Comment

Yeah but it's trickier when the LPs at the back are in a separate box, i.e. if the dealer has set up his boxes 2 deep, and you're digging in the front box and some freakishly tall guy comes alongside you and begins going through the box at the back, what does the unwritten law say about that? Even long term collectors will defend their right to check that second box, especially if they've done all the others either side. The solution is to always start at the back box. If you're like me, your massive belly will prevent anyone getting near the front box - problem solved.
                              I once had a well-known local collector/dealer use his considerable girth to block off an entire box of 45s (4 rows wide) at an overcrowded fair. He pulled loads of bargains and I just could not get near it. Checkmate.
                              Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Working...
                              X