A-wimoweh A-wimoweh A-wimoweh A-wimoweh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A-wimoweh A-wimoweh A-wimoweh A-wimoweh

I can't stop playing Yma Sumac's ace version of Wimoweh.

Please post your Wimoweh / Lion Sleeps Tonight stories, anecdotes and especially song versions up here please.

Classy ones preferred of course, mucky ones celebrated, pedestrian ones happily accepted. In fact, here is a pedestrian Wimoweh anecdote: one of the lady non-singers from Tight Fit bought the pub at the end of my Mum's road for a while and my friends went there for drinks and when we got drunk we'd sing Wimoweh. APPARENTLY once she sang it which would have been weird eh?
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Bizarrely enough, I do have a story for this one.

I was at uni late 90s when illicit MP3s were just becoming readily available. A friend of mine set about collecting every version of Wimoweh/Lion Sleeps Tonight that he could find, inspired by his liking of the excellent They Might Be Giants and their song The Guitar, which is a lose cover of The Lion Sleeps Tonight:

He ended up with 70-odd different versions. I suspect now you'd find many, many more as so much stuff hadn't found its way to illicit MP3 back then.

Lots of history on the song here : http://www.3rdearmusic.com/forum/mbube2.html

Comment

I love this version - skip to 1'43" for an extraordinary wah-wah guitar solo which appears to be coming from the guitarist's mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames View Post

I love this version - skip to 1'43" for an extraordinary wah-wah guitar solo which appears to be coming from the guitarist's mouth.
        Filed under "Youtube clips to watch the next time I´m stoned", thanks. Incredible.

I like Robert Delgado´s version, which has weird muted organ and regular ripe trombone farts.

and I like Dusty 's crack at it, too.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Original and still the best
          "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

This is where I remember hearing it repeatedly.

Comment

All I can contribute is that the 45 of Tight Fit's version has a pretty good B-side

"Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

The woman that ran a local (short-lived) cat sanctuary chazzer in the mid 90s was married to the man who invented Wimoweh (or so she reckoned)
                MUSHRUMPS Daily party-prog MP3 blog

Comment

I played "Tarzan" miming the falsettos in a loincloth, headband and half a pint of Johnsons Baby Oil when me and Sara Barnet and Claire Holdsworth (dressed in fetching safari suits) did a Tight Fit tribute at a school show.
                  Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                    I played "Tarzan" miming the falsettos in a loincloth, headband and half a pint of Johnsons Baby Oil when me and Sara Barnet and Claire Holdsworth (dressed in fetching safari suits) did a Tight Fit tribute at a school show.
                    safari suits are the new capes.
                    I know your game Lionel! I can see what you really are!

Comment

I hope there are photos Babycart???

The Karl Dener TV clip is extraordinary. It's all in there innit: clapping grannies, bored teenagers, professional lounge musicians, booze, a buried colonial transaction, music hall, working men, Bernard Manning and ITV.

Thanks all for the others. Never heard Mbube before! Keep the versions and anecdotes coming.
                      Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
                        I hope there are photos Babycart???

The Karl Dener TV clip is extraordinary. It's all in there innit: clapping grannies, bored teenagers, professional lounge musicians, booze, a buried colonial transaction, music hall, working men, Bernard Manning and ITV.

Thanks all for the others. Never heard Mbube before! Keep the versions and anecdotes coming.
                        Miriam's Mbube is my favourite but that Karl Denver version is just brilliant for all the above reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames View Post

Just wow

some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

This is the first version I ever heard. It's cringy but still like it, brings lots of memories.

¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

Looks like I answered my own question. The user who uploaded that first video has uploaded 100s of Lion Sleeps Tonight songs. Most of them very irritating. Weird one here, jungle one about weed here, 'funny noise' one here.

I feel subjected.

Comment

Working...
                              X