Terrible Selector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible Selector

Is anyone else here a terrible selector or do I alone suffer from this syndrome.

Whenever I have the opportunity to play music to people, it's like a little angel pops into my head and goes 'spiritual jazz will fit the mood', or 'play that - experimental electronics blows minds!', or 'lounge music, lounge music, everyone likes lounge music' or 'no one cares what you play, so why not carry on with your careful hip-hop weeding'.

I noticed that most people who I've played music to develops a mindset which begins with 'resist whatever eine plays'.
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Originally posted by eine View Post
    Is anyone else here a terrible selector or do I alone suffer from this syndrome.

Whenever I have the opportunity to play music to people, it's like a little angel pops into my head and goes 'spiritual jazz will fit the mood', or 'play that - experimental electronics blows minds!', or 'lounge music, lounge music, everyone likes lounge music' or 'no one cares what you play, so why not carry on with your careful hip-hop weeding'.

I noticed that most people who I've played music to develops a mindset which begins with 'resist whatever eine plays'.
    there is no such thing as a terrible selecter, just bad crowds...

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post

If I'm DJing I've taken to only playing stuff that people know - perhaps a bit boring but it guarantees a happy dancing crowd. Even if I play some disco I've noticed that people only tend to dance to the ones they know, regardless of the quality of the tracks

At home if we have people round I have a strict 'will Mrs E like it policy'. If its jazz, folk, foreign, experimental, strange, shouty, agressive, old, or in any way VG+ like, it doesn't get played. I've had too many, 'this is your weirdy record friends music' comments to try her on Eine's Xmas swap for instance
      We usually have soul, funk, disco, pop, country, or children's music in the house

I've come to the conclusion that most people don't really care about the music in the background so long as it doesn't distrub them in any way. If it weren't for VG+ I would feel that I was the only one who cared about music!
      "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
        If I'm DJing I've taken to only playing stuff that people know !
        How do you know what people will "know"?

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
          How do you know what people will "know"?

Through my increadible mind reading powers

For instance I know what kind of music you like!
          "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Comment

I suck. But I just keep doing it anyway.
            All the Wolpertingers

Comment

If I'm DJing I've taken to only playing stuff that people know - perhaps a bit boring but it guarantees a happy dancing crowd. Even if I play some disco I've noticed that people only tend to dance to the ones they know, regardless of the quality of the tracks

At home if we have people round I have a strict 'will Mrs E like it policy'. If its jazz, folk, foreign, experimental, strange, shouty, agressive, old, or in any way VG+ like, it doesn't get played. I've had too many, 'this is your weirdy record friends music' comments to try her on Eine's Xmas swap for instance
              We usually have soul, funk, disco, pop, country, or children's music in the house

I've come to the conclusion that most people don't really care about the music in the background so long as it doesn't distrub them in any way. If it weren't for VG+ I would feel that I was the only one who cared about music!
              This is pretty much exactly how it goes for me, right down to the Mrs P Approval Clause. I occasionally play parties for an Italian friend and to start with I thought I'd found my crowd - loving the disco rares, mad funk dancing, whooping and clapping and a quite unlikely level enthusiasm for my terrible DJing. Then I realised;
              a) they're Italian
              b) they're totally mashed from the start
              c) Zuchero or Bruce Springsteen would provoke an even wilder reaction
              d) they're just waiting for the techno
              e) they're Italian

Comment

If it weren't for VG+ I would feel that I was the only one who cared about music!
                HA! ^This....
                the monkey speaks his mind

Comment

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post
                  I suck. But I just keep doing it anyway.
                  you need more mod stuff.
                  Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

I don´t think you´re really a selector if you actually put the records on. That´s donkey's work
                    I´ve met a reggae selector and a memorable techno duo from Edinburgh who regularly practiced a fascinating form of consumer research. One of them would take whatever pills were on sale outside the club that night and then expertly guide the DJ as to what was needed on the dancefloor as he went off his tits.
                    I sometimes worked the selector/DJ thing with a partner, especially if it was dark, cramped or we were just experimenting, and it usually worked really well.
                    Your problem, Eine, is that you are too busy cueing, backspinning and looking cool to fully think out your set. You need a journeyman DJ to do that while you ponder and make careful dancefloor judgements in the background.
                    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I dont like suits either.
                      All the Wolpertingers

Comment

I suffer from this syndrome, glad to hear from fellow travellers. I pride myself on having wide eclectic taste, but as soon as you add other people into the mix my brain turns to mush and I'm red carded after 2 tunes. I never learn.
                        https://tdrec.bandcamp.com/

Comment

I played this the last time I DJ'd - thought it would be a winner - half the dancefloor cleared! What do I know????

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                            One of them would take whatever pills were on sale outside the club that night and then expertly guide the DJ as to what was needed on the dancefloor as he went off his tits.
                            You don't need two people to do that!

it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                            take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

If no one wrenches the record off the turntable and frisbees it into oblivion, you are doing OK.

Comment

Working...
                              X