Impossible odds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impossible odds?

There is a copy of Extradition on ebay being sold by the guys at Time Warp Records in Sydney, right now. However, 1-2 days after their listing started, another one appeared for auction, in similar condition.

http://tinyurl.com/mbcu9xm

The exact same thing happened last time one was listed in early 2013 but the "other" auction got canceled 13 hours before it ended, that;s why you only see one entry on Popsike for Extradition at that time frame.
    What are the odds that by pure chance, an orig copy, whereby only 50-100 were ever pressed, get;s listed at the same time one is up there for auction? All seems a bit fishy to me.

Bid on both!
    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

I have 2 copies already so don;t need a 3rd. If the other copy is part of a diversionary scam and will be pulled early, again, I wouldn;t want to give my money and time and effort to such a scumbag, in that case.

Comment

not an uncommon practice with mega rare albums to hopefully keep the price lower, the second "seller" can bid on the first one then pull his listing after its over

Comment

I don't get it, how does this benefit the seller? I would imagine having 2 listed makes buyers think they have 2 chances and therefore may bid lower?

If I listed a very rare and sougght after record and discovered another listed at the same time, then I might consider pulling to?

If there is some kind of scheme by the seller it must be very clever because I don't get it?
          My Mixcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Moogaloo View Post
            I don't get it, how does this benefit the seller
            It doesnt , it benefits the buyer, the result is as you say below

Originally posted by Moogaloo View Post
            I would imagine having 2 listed makes buyers think they have 2 chances and therefore may bid lower?
            so if the person who is desperate to get it lists one (totally imaginary) at the same time to finish a day or so after the genuine one ends, pref in better condition at a low start price he stands a better chance of not only winning it but at possibly a lower price as well

win or lose you then just pull the imaginary lp off ebay

the diversionary scam is from a potential buyer not the original seller

Comment

This does explain when I've seen this happening before. Like a virtual, temporary switcheroo. Must be a better slang term then that??
              Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by reza View Post

so if the person who is desperate to get it lists one (totally imaginary) at the same time to finish a day or so after the genuine one ends, pref in better condition at a low start price he stands a better chance of not only winning it but at possibly a lower price as well

I thought about it for a minute and I think your explanation of things is 100% correct. You hit it on the head. Go back and see Time Warps auction listing and see now, what they wrote at the bottom of the page. Seems like the word is out now about this seller of 2nd copy. They must believe he/she will pull the auction before it ends. That;s what I make of it.

Comment

Good tactic really (though possibly illegal). I've always noticed that when there are 2 of a rare album auctioned on ebay the first one goes cheaper than the second - simple psychology I suppose

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Victor X Storm View Post
                    Good tactic really (though possibly illegal). I've always noticed that when there are 2 of a rare album auctioned on ebay the first one goes cheaper than the second - simple psychology I suppose
                    So, perhaps the second copy isn't fictitious... It's just another seller who reckons they can piggyback onto the original auction?

I've also noted on occasion that if two rare records come up at the same time you EXPECT the second copy to go for less, since the high bidder won't bid on the next copy. But more likely, all the losers on the first auction see the final price, then decide they won't miss their chance again. And bid HIGHER than the final price of the first copy.
                    Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

As I said above, bid on both, then you'll know. And hey ho you might win the auction.
                      some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Originally posted by The Divine One View Post
                        So, perhaps the second copy isn't fictitious... It's just another seller who reckons they can piggyback onto the original auction?

I've also noted on occasion that if two rare records come up at the same time you EXPECT the second copy to go for less, since the high bidder won't bid on the next copy. But more likely, all the losers on the first auction see the final price, then decide they won't miss their chance again. And bid HIGHER than the final price of the first copy.
                        Yes indeed - I suspect this is the tactic here.

Comment

Originally posted by medlar View Post
                          As I said above, bid on both, then you'll know. And hey ho you might win the auction.
                          What about if you do that and win both auctions? The premise is that one is bidding to win. Then you have to pay at least $6,000.00 within days and have to trust 2 sellers to pack and grade really well? There's a few variables there and that tactic does not suit everybody, in my humble opinion. btw...according to 2nd (fictitious and latter) seller's reply to a question published on the page, he contributed the photo of Extradition and others to Hans Pokora for the 2001 RCD book. Anyone know who he is? Seems like a bit of a wa**er. He enjoys to blow his trumpet about his "achievements and status". Questioner never asked about it. In his Razar poster auction

http://tinyurl.com/lze4on2

it seems he feels the need to hold down poster with copies of Ben and Czar for some reason. What was the point of that? A Heino and a Robert Goulet record would have done the same job.

Comment

Originally posted by reza View Post

Penny Drops, cheers :-)
                            My Mixcloud

Comment

Just a thought....Time Warp;s copy is a true first press with inside-opening sleeve (sometimes referred to as "digipack".) The other copy is standard side-opening sleeve which is a second-run sleeve. You can see that in the pix. Maybe seller will actually let the auction run so they can off-load it. No mention of that in description. Someone like that who sounds like a seasoned collector/dealer should do, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X