X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage punk in the Guardian

Not read it fully yet

http://www.theguardian.com/music/mus...?commentpage=1

Nice list and I'd love me one of them Third Bardo 45s. As one can see from the comments there's always going to be faves missed off - in my case I think the glaring omission is 'Louie Louie' by the Swamp Rats.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Is there anything here not on Nuggets and Best Of Pebbles?
      All good but not far off the beaten track.
      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Difficult to see Link Wray as garage punk - he was far too accomplished a musician for one thing!! Agree with stellar nature of most of the list but The Preachers version of "Who Do You Love" is snarlier and pounds like a jackhammer.

Other classics left off include Nobody's Children's "Good Times" and the Talula Babies version of "The Hurtin' Kind" - but that's just the tip of a large iceberg.

He's right about it not being a British thing but for me, there are at least two singles from the UK that qualify sound-wise and they were both recorded for the same label in the same studio - Oak Records/RG Jones studio in Morden...

The Kingpins - Diamond Girl
        The A-Jaes - I'm Leaving You

.... and like the best US Garage - the prices are pretty eye-watering!!
        "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
          Is there anything here not on Nuggets and Best Of Pebbles?
          All good but not far off the beaten track.
          You have to remember the audience they're writing for - and some of the people working there. When I wrote a Knuckles obituary one of the subs emailed me to ask what house music was...
          http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by ladyboygrimsby View Post
            You have to remember the audience they're writing for - and some of the people working there. When I wrote a Knuckles obituary one of the subs emailed me to ask what house music was...
            Unbelievable! like you say though, that doesn't surprise me.
            Better not mention words like 'Grime' 'Dark Garage' and so on...
            Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

I'm just glad they ran the article. Probably similar to what you would have got from a Mojo Top 10 Garage Punk list. Don't necessarily agree that the best GP 45s are all eye wateringly expensive. One of THE garage punk anthems, not at all diminished by its familiarity has to be Talk Talk. GP to the nth degree, a fiver at most record fairs. Surprised it wasn't included.
              Everyone tear down your own little wall
              That keeps you from being a part of it all
              Because you've got to be one with the one and all
              You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Yep.., It's a top 10 of opinions and now the nerds and geeks have in putted (me included) on the comments

BTW... Mate of mine felt the full wrath of Lauren Laverne (who we know in real life as it were - unbeknownst to her) as amongst her Knuckles twitter tributes ("a legend and hero of mine") he brought up the fact she had NEVER previously mentioned or played his songs (google 6Music playlists and twitter post history searched) before his sad passing

She deleted his comment and her followers went apeshit on him

Comment

Working...
                X