UK Charity / Boot Common yet Essential finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Charity / Boot Common yet Essential finds

OK there are certain records that turn up week and week out at Car Books and Charity Shops in the UK that are worth picking up here are some I can think of from the top of my head feel free to add

* Jack Jones In Person at the sands Las Vegas - about 1/3 of the tracks on this LP are funky vocal lounge, the rest are swinging crooners

* Duke Grant plays Hammond Gold - Well documented here for the funky "Go!"

*Easy Listening (Polydor Gatefold) - Quite a good lounge comp allthough it doesn't look like it would be

* Nonstop Pepsi Party - Denny Wright and The Hustlers - Shout about Pepsi

* Themes for Superheroes - Geoff Love and His Orch - Very funky especially Wonderwoman

I could go on but I will give others a chance to add...
    My Mixcloud

Originally posted by Kinky Chris
    * Themes for Superheroes - Geoff Love and His Orch - Very funky especially Wonderwoman
    Well, I'm still looking for that one, and I've never seen the pepsi one, so I better pay more attention
    FunkyDown
    Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

i always have to buy the easy listening comp i must have about 5-6 copies now. and the pepsi party one.

shirley bassey - something. pops up here nearly weekly
      instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

In Sydney at least the Cleo Laine one with 'Night Owl' is every-damn-where as is Shirley Bassey's 'Something'. Oh, and the Mauriat album with 'Etude in rhythm and blues' on it.

Having said that I probably won't see any copies of them again.

Jamie.
        https://soundcloud.com/basicbasic

Comment

The Alan Moorhouse/Bond Street Brass with Funky Fever on it, the TV themes with Fragments of Fear...
          Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

The Hits Of Barry White By Lee Charles...................
            I've never actually bothered to pick this lp up when i've seen it around the charities etc.....but today this record just ended up in my house without my say so...........so i figured what the heck.........put the needle straight to the version of 'Can't Get Enough Of Your Love'...........always been a sucker for this genius Barry tune and the version here is banging...........drums!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by platerpus
              The Hits Of Barry White By Lee Charles...................
              I've never actually bothered to pick this lp up when i've seen it around the charities etc.....but today this record just ended up in my house without my say so...........so i figured what the heck.........put the needle straight to the version of 'Can't Get Enough Of Your Love'...........always been a sucker for this genius Barry tune and the version here is banging...........drums!!!!!!!!!!!
              weird...I've never seen this record, I have no idea what it is. and I have spent some tiime in charity shops over the years.

I'd add:

Geoff Love with 'Three Days of the Condor'
              the obvious James Lasts of course
              We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

the Rediffusion sampler 'birds n brass'

gladys knight and the pips feat funky junction

stevie wonder innervisions
                Earfuzz

Comment

Englands Top 12 Hits....The one with Double Barrel on it....alot of people sleep on this one (could actually be because of the cover which has what can only be described as someones fortyfive year old auntie dressed in teeniebopper swinging London gear with cringingly short skirt YUK ) Dave and Ansil probably never envisioned the track with a kick ass bongo beat but it works

I always find this Lp in the Yorkshire region but nowhere else...maybe it's a regional thing? Wonder why?

I once had this fantasy that if you went to Charity shops that were near the Yorkshire Television studio they'd be full of racks and racks of Hanged Man Lps....JUST IMAGINE
                  Country be dyin like poor people do
                  Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

Comment

Originally posted by john stapleton
                    weird...I've never seen this record, I have no idea what it is. and I have spent some tiime in charity shops over the years.

I'd add:

Geoff Love with 'Three Days of the Condor'
                    the obvious James Lasts of course
                    it's a totally rubbish looking thing on Chevron from '79...............but that version of 'Can't Get Enough.......' is marvelous.........

Comment

I forgot the Peters & Lee with 'She's About A Mover'...
                      Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

Rupert and the fire bird lp on MFP
                        quality vocals and beats on "up in the sky" hip hop sample surely car boot/c shop classic

Comment

you Brits are lucky, all these common things you see a couple times a week are things I only see on Ebay with $10 shipping added on.

anybody got a few spare Pesi & Geoff Love Superhero LP's to donate to a deserving lover of UK funky lounge cheese?

Comment

In Sydney at least the Cleo Laine one with 'Night Owl' is every-damn-where as is Shirley Bassey's 'Something'. Oh, and the Mauriat album with 'Etude in rhythm and blues' on it.
                            For the true vinyl nerd who has to have even the easiest to get tracks on rare formats: all the above were issued on 45s (well, Shirley's 'light my fire' - not seen 'Spinning Wheel...yet!).
                            If you aint got the 7, you just aint got it at all

By the way, I live in Yorkshire and found 6 sealed Hanged Man's mid 90s in Scope and 2 more at a market.

Comment

Originally posted by mik
                              sealed Hanged Man's
                              sealed?
                              We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Working...
                              X