RR: Not Local News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR: Not Local News

The Brazilian Bus Magnate Who's Buying Up All The World's Vinyl Records.

(Has this been posted already?).
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Well, a man has to have a hobby!
    Struggling to get my head around the numbers involved. Who has the largest hoard, George or Freitas?
    Thanks for the link, made me feel a lot better about my own affliction
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

But it's clearly not about music, is it?
      He can't have time to listen to them all - and in fact he is hardly mentioned listen to or talking in detail about the music
      Reminds me a bit about Robert Opie and the Museum of Packaging
      "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

That does raise an interesting point. At what stage does the size of a record collection stop being about the music, and more about "something else"?
        On Ravelry (the knitting forum Mrs Treeboy spends most of her time on) much as on here (Show Us A Pic Of Your Collection), they post up pics of their hoards of wool. They also have an acronym SABLE Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy! Is that when it starts getting tricky? When you think, "I don't have enough listening time left to get through all this lot".
        If like me, you don't offload many records, but continue to acquire new stuff (and you're an old git like me) it starts to become a factor.
        Everyone tear down your own little wall
        That keeps you from being a part of it all
        Because you've got to be one with the one and all
        You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Errr... second pic??
          Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
            They also have an acronym SABLE Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy!
            I like that term. Needs to have wider audience. Freitas should have his own 2 hour long special edition of Hoarders dedicated to his "collection". Would be good to have a video camera showing his lp's as film maker walks along his warehouse.

Comment

i met eric (discos) crauford in guildford a few years ago. ben has known him for years.

i gave him a lift to the train station after he bought a suitcase of vinyl. he comes back to the uk once a year to holiday/buy stock. he fills his and his wife's suitcase allowance with records!
              "I don't want to live in the past but it's a nice place to visit."

Comment

This guy can do one. Imagine all the records nobody else will be able to listen to (there is his project, I know) because he's bought it and put it in the middle of a box in the middle of a stack in the middle of some massive warehouse.

Freitas slumped, then covered his face with his hands and emitted a low, rumbling groan. “It’s very important to save this,” he said. “Very important.”
                Last edited by toby.d; 09-08-2014, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by toby.d View Post
                  This guy can do one. Imagine all the records nobody else will be able to listen to (there is his project, I know) because he's bought it and put it in the middle of a box in the middle of a stack in the middle of some massive warehouse.

agreed. its not about music it seems more about warehousing. think of all the millions of peeps who didnt get the chance to buy these records
                  Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

Originally posted by eclipsechaser View Post
                    agreed. its not about music it seems more about warehousing. think of all the millions of peeps who didnt get the chance to buy these records
                    Wrong. They had a chance, they just didn't. Plus, millions? Really?
                    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Originally posted by medlar View Post
                      Wrong. They had a chance, they just didn't. Plus, millions? Really?
                      I get bored having to talk exactly.
                      Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

Originally posted by eclipsechaser View Post
                        I get bored having to talk exactly.
                        some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Originally posted by toby.d View Post
                          I don't know about you, but I've got far more records than I could ever listen to in my lifetime if I put them on consecutively. I'd therefore imagine that your comment could be applied to most board members.

That said I've sent the link to my other half and asked her to bear it in mind every time she says I have too many records.
                          it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                          take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

Anyone who buys records is obviously taking them off the market while they own them, which stops other people buying those records. The way I'd look at most record buyers collecting cycle would be more like: finds very small fraction of overall records in city/country over a long period of time, listens to, enjoys, shares with friends, maybe swaps or sells them or maybe holds on to them for years, eventually has no need for them and they all get released back into the wild.

This exercise seems to be more about accumulating vast amounts of records over a very short period of time and mostly not knowing which records he is and isn't getting.

I've never thought about whether I could listen to my records before I die - I guess that makes you question the whole idea of collecting...

Comment

I just worked it out; it would take me 222 twelve hour days to listen to all my LPs. First 8 months of retirement sorted.
                              Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

Comment

Working...
                              X