Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yacht Rock, Westcoast , AOR, Easy Glide etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yacht Rock, Westcoast , AOR, Easy Glide etc.

For the past 5 months I've become interested in exploring the smooth sounds of California, artists like Michael McDonald, Doobies, Robbie Dupree, Jimmy Messina, Sneaker etc. There's something with that well-polished smooth sound. I'm not sure what to call, it but between 1975 and 1983, there was something goin' on. I think the proper term is Westcoast Soft Rock probably. Think of it as a the soundtrack to drive aloing the coast of Cali.

Here's a few of easy to pick up favourites:

Robbie Dupree - Brooklyn Girls

Cristopher Cross - Ride like a wind

Michael McDonald - I keep forgetting

Kenny Loggins - Heart to heart

LeBlanc & Carr - Stronger love

Even the old crooner Paul Anka teamed up with Michael McDonald and a bunch of LA musicians : Paul Anka - Walk a fine line

Photoglo - Beg, borrow or steal

So, do you have any favourites?

Calling P.H

Here's a familiar fave, Tom Scott providing the sax (quite tolerable too)

Here's a recent take of it.

sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Originally posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
      Calling P.H

Here's a familiar fave, Tom Scott providing the sax (quite tolerable too)

Here's a recent take of it.

Classic! Nice alternative version as well.

Comment

David Bateau seems to have cornered the market

His solo album also has its moments. I'm a sucker for the electro-flute in it

He even has illsicbreaks

sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

A yes! I need this record, Excellent chioice!

Comment

This is an ace one too..... kind of When Yacht Rock got a conscious (guiltrock?) Anyway its got a whos who playing on it

sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

It seems like the yacht rock sound is particularly 'on trend' at the moment. No complaints here, I love that smooth isht and the more comps, mixes and threads the better! I love that Batteaux record: Isn't She Lovely, Living's Worth Loving, loads of good ones on it. Got the David Batteau on a wish list but I couldn't remember adding it, sounds very nice. Two that come straight to mind as staples but may be a bit obvious,

The Americana compilations that I was recommended by someone on here are good too, as is Numero's WTNG 89.9 FM.

Comment

I have a wad of my collection devoted to this sound too... I'm away from my records currently will take some pics of favourites when i get back.

I did this mix a few years ago (2011 Fringe Download swap i believe) - features some of my long-term faves:

FRICTIONLESS <<<

If you search "yacht" there's been lots of nuggets dropped on this subject before...
                Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Originally posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
                  That break's been used on lots of stuff. Never knew it was from that track. Excellent stuff. Cheers.
                  Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

Originally posted by pencilface View Post
                    If you search "yacht" there's been lots of nuggets dropped on this subject before...
                    I think the first mention of Yacht Rock on the board was by coincidence on the same page you introduced yourself!

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...rself-!/page36

Where are you now Rusty Sheriff?
                    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Jude View Post
                      I think the first mention of Yacht Rock on the board was by coincidence on the same page you introduced yourself!

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...rself-!/page36

Where are you now Rusty Sheriff?
                      Ha! One for the CV there... Maybe i should pursue it with mire vigour. Get some new deck shoes or something...
                      Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Blimey too many to even mention

With not wishing to use this as a plug check out the 5 mixes I have done for AOR Disco ~ the latest one seems popular

All my comps have tracklists mate

One of my favourite LPs in this genre is still

Just dig in that lot man !!!
                        Last edited by pH; 02-10-2014, 02:27 PM.
                        - - - -

Maybe its downbeat with depressing themes and technically imperfect vocals but it is an excellent example of a downbeat mix with depressing themes and technically imperfect vocals

A heathen, conceivably, but not, I hope, an unenlightened one

http://www.mixcloud.com/paulhillery/

Comment

Originally posted by toby.d View Post
                          may be a bit obvious

Bloody expensive that one
                          - - - -

Maybe its downbeat with depressing themes and technically imperfect vocals but it is an excellent example of a downbeat mix with depressing themes and technically imperfect vocals

Comment

How's about this one?
                            Early 80s Maui hippie sunset blissout.

To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                              How's about this one?
                              Early 80s Maui hippie sunset blissout.

Really hard to find not that expensive really but never managed to catch a wave

Psychemagik dropped it into Magik Sunrise though - http://www.discogs.com/Psychemagik-M.../master/558251

I have a spare copy of the Sunrise LP if anyone fancies a trade ?
                              - - - -

Comment

Working...
                              X