Sister Ray Vinyl Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sister Ray Vinyl Shop

Another new emporium (East London-based).

http://www.thevinylfactory.com/vinyl...ons-ace-hotel/
    Drastically reduced to 72p

the other day i popped into their new store on Berwick Street and was absolutely DISGUSTED to discover that it's a pleasant place to shop. the air conditioning works. it's clean. everything was well organised. the staff were friendly.

in a second hand record shop. i ask you.

WHAT'S THE WORLD COMING TO?!!
    http://www.blaxploitation.com
    Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

There's a good feature on the link about a new shop in Hoxton. http://www.thevinylfactory.com/vinyl...t-record-shop/. Looks great with white painted brickwork. That bloke in the top photo with his greasy hands all over the record would be out on his ear though if I was in charge
      Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

Comment

Originally posted by theeman View Post
        the other day i popped into their new store on Berwick Street and was absolutely DISGUSTED to discover that it's a pleasant place to shop. the air conditioning works. it's clean. everything was well organised. the staff were friendly.

I too only recently went into the new shop - my heart skipped a beat when I saw the old one closed up
        It is indeed very pleasant
        But don't worry - its not too late to get the guy from Haggle in to run it!
        "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Is this thread about Sister Ray Record Shop?

Comment

Good ol' Sister Ray. Used to get loads of Detroit Techno from them years ago for cheap.
            Picked up some hum dingers from there 'back in the day'. Around the same time that Fat Cat records
            were in Seven Dials.
            Them were the days....
            Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

Originally posted by theeman View Post

I disagree. It's not pleasant at all! It was a lovely summer's day when I walked in last week and so was surprised they were going for the 'Siberian style blizzard' setting on their
              new fancy air-con unit! I was freezing me nuts off! But it kind of fitted the sterile stripped down look that so many places are going for these days (yawn)...so no nice covers
              adorning the wall, nothing on the walls actually apart from some crummy attempt at 'urban spray-can art' of four massive cassette tapes of the homemade mix-tape variety....strange 'cos as far as I know they don't sell tapes! Ok, forget the surroundings...you go there for the product right?: Invariably this is a colour photocopy of a sleeve of a record you might be interested in but given that vinyl in most record shops is stored behind the counter, could you be bothered going up to check the condition of a sleeve and vinyl priced to match the given auto-price of what 'the internet who cannot be disobeyed' says is the asking price these days in a floppy sleeve that makes the whole business so very very unappealing?! The joy of record hunting, crate digging, novelty finding is so completely alien to these places! With its black and white livery it's like finding a portal into Discogs but somehow less customer friendly. I know it's only a stone's throw from their old premises but it seems a million miles from the old Sister Ray I used to frequent!

Comment

Originally posted by Fortunate One View Post
                I disagree. It's not pleasant at all! It was a lovely summer's day when I walked in last week and so was surprised they were going for the 'Siberian style blizzard' setting on their
                new fancy air-con unit! I was freezing me nuts off! But it kind of fitted the sterile stripped down look that so many places are going for these days (yawn)...so no nice covers
                adorning the wall, nothing on the walls actually apart from some crummy attempt at 'urban spray-can art' of four massive cassette tapes of the homemade mix-tape variety....strange 'cos as far as I know they don't sell tapes! Ok, forget the surroundings...you go there for the product right?: Invariably this is a colour photocopy of a sleeve of a record you might be interested in but given that vinyl in most record shops is stored behind the counter, could you be bothered going up to check the condition of a sleeve and vinyl priced to match the given auto-price of what 'the internet who cannot be disobeyed' says is the asking price these days in a floppy sleeve that makes the whole business so very very unappealing?! The joy of record hunting, crate digging, novelty finding is so completely alien to these places! With its black and white livery it's like finding a portal into Discogs but somehow less customer friendly. I know it's only a stone's throw from their old premises but it seems a million miles from the old Sister Ray I used to frequent!
                Have to agree - totally sterile - and why is all the vinyl downstairs? The 2 or 3 times I went in the upstairs was embarrassingly empty (is it CDs there? Can't remember...) - and downstairs had the punters in. Didn't really like the old store, but when they could have gone for a bit of character they went for anonymity.
                "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                X